Rambo and Solid Snake - They seem to have a lot of similarities

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GunsNVice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 GunsNVice
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

I know many of you are kids who were too young to know about Rambo and legendary action star Sly Stallone in their prime in the 80's, but there are some huge resemblances between Rambo and Snake. I realize Snake's name comes from Snake Plissken (another 80's badass Kurt Russell) and that he's based on the appearance of Michael Biehn from The Terminator. However the way Snake dresses, the 2ndary characters like the Colonel and the bandana are very reminiscent of rambo, not to mention the jungle survival aspect. MGS 3 and the new MGS with an older Snake in particular are strongly reminiscent of First Blood and the upcoming Rambo movie next year. Look at this pic and tell me Stallone doesn't bear a passing resemblance to an older Snake...

Or this ultra violent trailer of the new Rambo 4 movie where Sly takes on the burmese army with his mercs in the jungle...you could literally retitle the movie as MGS IV.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=wlMhB7ys-K4

GunsNVice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 GunsNVice

for some reason the pic is not showing, here is the link of Sly basically channeling Snake:

http://billpruitt.com/jrforearm2.jpg

Vyse_Legends

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Vyse_Legends
Member since 2007 • 9387 Posts
Yeah I heard Kojima got a lot of his inspiration from other movies and such.
Olexis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Olexis
Member since 2004 • 107 Posts
sorry guys but you're wrong here. i know that he's similar to rambo, but i think that kojima got him from a different character (wiki him and you'll agree). Snake Plissken from John Carpenter's Escape from New York (and other escape movies). Same hairstyle, eye patch, and has other people call him snake (and iroquis plissken?). i guess he's more like big boss since he has a missing eye though.
AgentZero225

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 AgentZero225
Member since 2007 • 1718 Posts
Never compare Solid snake to anything like Rambo, thats just a insult to MGS
BenderUnit22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#6 BenderUnit22
Member since 2006 • 9597 Posts
Except MGS doesn't suck
davedouble16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#7 davedouble16
Member since 2005 • 724 Posts

Never compare Solid snake to anything like Rambo, thats just a insult to MGSAgentZero225

I agree

GunsNVice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 GunsNVice

Interesting responses. First Blood is the grand daddy of modern day action movies. It inspired the whole action genre starting from the 80's onwards. Just thought I'd point that out.

Judging by the rambo sucks comments I imagine nobody here has seen First Blood once again nor have they seen the new hyper violent Rambo 4 trailer. He basically defined badass special forces soldier for movies. Kind of like how Snake defined that for video games.

Anyonewith any idea of the characterwill rightfully admit that John J. Rambo is a big influence on Solid Snake. Just look at the terrain, m.o and clothing they both wear. Not to mention the colonels in MGS and Rambo. The eyepatch and the name are the only real similarities between Snake Plissken and Snake in MGS. Their behavior and look are otherwise different.

P.S. Rambo 4 currently is going to be the most violent movie ever made. If anything I'd consider it an honor for Snake to even be associated with a legend like John Rambo, America's greatest soldier.

jc2k301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 jc2k301
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

Agreed. Rambo is the best action hero their has ever been. I remember seeing first blood when I was 5 and ever since then I've been a big fan. Then I played metal gear and was like, wow this reminds me of rambo's stealth

Nephilim83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#10 Nephilim83
Member since 2008 • 4378 Posts
Rambo's not what he used to be :( I grew up with Rambo. He used to be my hero. Him and Gungho from G.I. Joe. Anyway, the first Metal Gear games defienately seem like they may have been Rambo-inspired. However, as of late we all know that Snake could totally pawn Rambo. He'd snap that tree-branch neck of his like a belemic twig.
CanadianCR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 CanadianCR
Member since 2008 • 3824 Posts

:lol: Pffffffffffffff .. Rambo would wipe the floor with Snake ..

Avatar image for ___gamemaster__
___gamemaster__

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ___gamemaster__
Member since 2009 • 3348 Posts

well snake would beat rambo in a fight. :P

adam_53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 adam_53
Member since 2005 • 298 Posts

Never compare Solid snake to anything like Rambo, thats just a insult to MGSAgentZero225

exactly. amen.

Silent-Hal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#14 Silent-Hal
Member since 2007 • 9795 Posts

Snake's resemblence with Kyle Reese from The Terminator is uncanny:

And Snake Plissken from Escape From New York:

Everiez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Everiez
Member since 2006 • 1946 Posts

No, rambo is gay and no naughty character meanwhile snake is the man. I believe MGS fans know very well what i mean

supa_badman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#16 supa_badman
Member since 2008 • 16714 Posts

Silent-Hal

lol nice

Thetaguru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 Thetaguru
Member since 2006 • 1394 Posts

Rambo did share the similarities of enjoying the stealth killing and picking them off one by one but had no problem resorting to the big guns when needed. Not to mention Rambo kept getting pulled out of 'retirement' just like Snake. But Old Snake pulled off the final show a lot better than Old Rambo.

M0wen10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#18 M0wen10
Member since 2009 • 7555 Posts

No way! John Rambo totally canes Solid Snake. Sorry MGS fans. :?

DFDuppal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 DFDuppal
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
this is going to be interesting game, lots of videos on youtube about this, i can't wait to see if this will be avalilbe on PC
ANIALATOR136

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#20 ANIALATOR136
Member since 2008 • 1157 Posts
NEVER EVER! Compare the two. Solid snake Rules!!
L33T_TI200P3I2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21 L33T_TI200P3I2
Member since 2008 • 331 Posts

My movie brain says Rambo.

My game brain says Snake.

bigburd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 bigburd
Member since 2004 • 1281 Posts
John Matrix from Commando would wipe the floor with the girly man known as Rambo
M0wen10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#23 M0wen10
Member since 2009 • 7555 Posts

John Matrix from Commando would wipe the floor with the girly man known as Rambobigburd

I agree, he did rule. In the movie he killed about 100 soldiers in about 10 minutes!

zakkro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24 zakkro
Member since 2004 • 48823 Posts
I thought he would resemble Snake Pliskin more. Hm.
CanadianCR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 CanadianCR
Member since 2008 • 3824 Posts

John Matrix from Commando would wipe the floor with the girly man known as Rambobigburd

Pffff .. Gomer Pile could take out john Matrix .. that's saying a lot .. Rambo would eat John for breakfast ..

Kaijunjiru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Kaijunjiru
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
Yes..Hideo Kojim took inspiration from all three of these 80's badasses (John Rambo, Snake Plissken, and Kyle Reese) in creating the uber-badass we can all wish we knew in person today. But I think you're all a little off in some areas... When Kojima first started planning a Metal Gear for the MSX, he originally wanted to make it a hardcore shoot-em-up like the then-popular Contra and all the FPS's we so-love today...problem was: gaming tech in his day wasn't up to the challenge of such a complex action game. So, he flipped the whole idea on it's head: "Since we can't make the perfect shooter...why not make it just the opposite?! We can make it impossible to play the game like Contra, so you can't win by the 'run-n-gun/shoot it out' method". Espionage was the result. At this point, he began working on a character who could fit the stealthy, acrobatic (instead of muscle-bound), special forces-type of operative to lead such a role. Again, he took inspiration from the best and baddest of the day. Snake takes his name from Snake Plissken (later dealt homage in the pseudonym "Iroquois Plisken") as well as his calm, cool, "badass" attitude. He also smokes and carries a deeper raspy voice. At the same time, he takes no **** from anyone and seems to always be reminding his companions of basic battlefield survival and tactics. Getting called--or rather FORCED--out of retirement is taken from here as well. In addition, both men eventually end up outlaws. As was mentioned before, there are several physical resemblances as well (brown hair/mullet, facial scruff, blue eyes, eye patch, smaller/muscular build--unlike the bulkier Sly and Arnold). Even the insertion method for Metal Gear Solid comes from Snake Plissken's submarine vehicle insertion in Escape From L.A.. Then there's also FoxDie....sorta similar to the virus situation Plissken faces in that same film. Now, about Rambo... Yes, Snake also takes many traits from good ol' John J.. One of these being--as mentioned--the relationship between Snake and Campbell. There's also the common jungle motif, as well as the entire game of Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake (MSX). Its story and setting are very similar to First Blood Part 2 in several ways: 1. Both are set in a dry, mostly desert region and involve infiltrating an enemy compound in hopes of rescuing a captive comrade/friend. 2. Snake and Rambo both receive the aid of young, attractive women serving as inside contacts--who, of course, both end up dying. :( 3. Snake and Rambo both must take out a Hind D Russian gunship helicopter. (Snake ends up doing it again in MGS, of course) Some other qualities Snake shares with both Rambo and Plissken: all three are hand-to-hand combat and weapons experts, all have a war-hero's reputation, and all are constantly getting themselves captured..haha And Kyle Reese? Well...Kyle Reese is the only one to take on a nearly indestructible futuristic machine like Snake does. But I think Kojima chose Reese's image for Snake with another, more fundamental reason in mind. Reese demonstrates a commitment to service--a soldier's resolve to carry out his duty. This is a face people saw on the big screen as the face of the common grunt on the battlefield. He was both a hardened veteran AND a fallible human being--far from invincible. He relied on extensive knowledge, years of experience and well-honed skills to survive. For years after the Terminator (even later as a SEAL Team commander in The Rock) he personified the very quintessence of the experienced soldier...not the experienced badass. And that was a crucial aspect of Snake's character debut in the first Metal Gear--one which persisted (albeit less pronounced) in later games. Oh...and for those who think otherwise (on account of "Snake's Revenge"--a farce of a game, not in any way associated with Kojima or Konami), the only thing Snake has in common with Schwarzenegger is the completely unrealistic ability to carry half a gun store on his person at one time. - -,
MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#27 MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

Interesting responses. First Blood is the grand daddy of modern day action movies. It inspired the whole action genre starting from the 80's onwards. Just thought I'd point that out.

Judging by the rambo sucks comments I imagine nobody here has seen First Blood once again nor have they seen the new hyper violent Rambo 4 trailer. He basically defined badass special forces soldier for movies. Kind of like how Snake defined that for video games.

Anyonewith any idea of the characterwill rightfully admit that John J. Rambo is a big influence on Solid Snake. Just look at the terrain, m.o and clothing they both wear. Not to mention the colonels in MGS and Rambo. The eyepatch and the name are the only real similarities between Snake Plissken and Snake in MGS. Their behavior and look are otherwise different.

P.S. Rambo 4 currently is going to be the most violent movie ever made. If anything I'd consider it an honor for Snake to even be associated with a legend like John Rambo, America's greatest soldier.

GunsNVice

I agree, Rambo is probably America's greatest FICTIONAL soldier. But the only MG game that is CLEARLY heavyly inluenced by Rambo is Snake Eater....that's one of the reasons that it will always be one of my favorite games ever. It will be the closest I'll ever get to playing a rambo-like game. lol

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 MarcRecon

Not even on Rambo's WORST day could he lose to Commando....it wouldn't even be close.:)....Sorry Governator Lover!!!

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 MarcRecon

I feel like such a dork....I just looked at the date of this thread!!!!

Avatar image for MrSelf-Destruct
MrSelf-Destruct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 MrSelf-Destruct
Member since 2010 • 13400 Posts

Silent-Hal

Those movies and Rambo were some of the inspirations for the game. Hideo even says so.

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts

[QUOTE="AgentZero225"]Never compare Solid snake to anything like Rambo, thats just a insult to MGSdavedouble16

I agree

Why? Mgs is just escape from newyork in video game form.
SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#33 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

MGS3 gave me a HUGE Rambo vibe, to the point that I was disappointed there wasn't a Vietnam mission in the game.

While I played very Anti Rambo in MGS3 to try and be sneaky and unlock things, I couldn't help but just tear off my shirt, equip the M60 and go nuts every once in a while on a less serious replay. Its especially satisfying to hear Snake yell a battle cry mid firing.

Avatar image for MrSelf-Destruct
MrSelf-Destruct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 MrSelf-Destruct
Member since 2010 • 13400 Posts
[QUOTE="davedouble16"]

[QUOTE="AgentZero225"]Never compare Solid snake to anything like Rambo, thats just a insult to MGSFightingfan

I agree

Why? Mgs is just escape from newyork in video game form.

Yup. And in case no one got the reference, Snake calls himself Iriquois Pliskin in MGS2. The dude from Escape from New York is Snake Pliskin. Coincidence? Not at all.
jrorl63

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 jrorl63
Member since 2003 • 723 Posts
this is going to be interesting game, lots of videos on youtube about this, i can't wait to see if this will be avalilbe on PCDFDuppal
ummm... what?
GAMBIT1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 GAMBIT1551
Member since 2010 • 384 Posts

I love the raging people at comparing snake to rambo. Just to say something, the first rambo was fanatastic, the sequels not so much. Anyways, snake is based off Snake Plisikin from Escape From New York, also note the fact that they used the name Plisikin in Metal Gear Solid 2. Also, Metal Gear Solid's concepts in general are based off of Movies (some of the plot ideas are used right from Escape From New York in Metal Gear Solid 2) because thats what Hideo Kojima loves and he was going to be a director lol

Avatar image for silentnightmere
silentnightmere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 silentnightmere
Member since 2009 • 1520 Posts
What a disrespectful thing to say towards Rambo. Rambo > MGS
Everiez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Everiez
Member since 2006 • 1946 Posts

No, rambo is gay and no naughty character meanwhile snake is the man. I believe MGS fans know very well what i mean

Everiez

Man, what was I thinking back then to post such comment 2 years ago. /facedesk

Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#40 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

Rambo and snake are complete opposites in my opinion. Rambo is charismatic, larger than life, and has emotion. Snake just talks on the radio like he's waking up from a really bad hangover.