question about blu ray

This topic is locked from further discussion.

seancamp90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 seancamp90
Member since 2007 • 39 Posts
i went out and purchased the component av cable for my ps3 so i could play in high def on my tv. but when i played the spiderman 3 blu ray disc, it looked like a normal dvd. i could tell because i compared it to my 360 with spiderman 3 on normal dvd and to tell the truth the 360 version looked equal if not better than the blu ray. am i doing something wrong? do i need to change some settings or something? any help is great.
aznkid2o9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 aznkid2o9
Member since 2005 • 188 Posts
not totally sure, but I believe blu-ray movies can only be displayed in full 1080p using a hdmi cable (the whole hdcp thing). And the reason the sp3 dvd on 360 probably looked better was 'cause it was being upscaled...
tkemory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 tkemory
Member since 2002 • 2191 Posts

From what I have read the PS3 will do 1080P component but who knows.

Personally I think the Standard DVD version of Spiderman 3 is so good that there is not a HUGE difference between the two when the s-dvd is being upscaled. I remember before I got my PS3 I rented Spiderman 3 and watched it in my 360 and was pretty amazed at the quality of the picture. King Kong was similar.

I wasn't a big fan of Spiderman 3 (they need to fire Tuby McGuire), but the visuals were pretty good. Movie was too campy for my taste, was like they were trying to make a musical staring the amazingly gay spiderman.

punisher1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 punisher1
Member since 2004 • 3290 Posts
I don't get why people need new formats for dvd's.
tkemory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 tkemory

I don't get why people need new formats for dvd's.duane27

All I have to do is watch something on a S DVD and then watch it in blu-ray and hd dvd and all questions are answered.

DontTazeMeBro1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 DontTazeMeBro1
Member since 2007 • 582 Posts
The movie should look great. You will however need a HDMI cable. Then make sure you cross check your settings on your system.
UTXII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 UTXII
Member since 2007 • 3448 Posts

You need to have at least a 1080i TV (1080p recommended). Blu-ray doesn't do 720p; a good majority of low-leved HDTV's are 720p compliant only, some have 1080i but no 1080p. So, if your TV doesn't do 1080i, then it WILL look like a normal DVD.

And, HDMI looks way better with Blu-ray discs.

dstryr13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 dstryr13
Member since 2007 • 6521 Posts

I don't get why people need new formats for dvd's.duane27

have you ever watched a standard dvd on full screen on an HDTV? have you ever seen a blu-ray on an HDTV?

do that then come back and ask this question

punisher1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 punisher1
Member since 2004 • 3290 Posts
Yes but do people really need to spend a few grand just to see a slightly better quality.
tkemory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 tkemory

Yes but do people really need to spend a few grand just to see a slightly better quality.duane27

Slightly better? You my friend are in denial.

UTXII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 UTXII
Member since 2007 • 3448 Posts

Yes but do people really need to spend a few grand just to see a slightly better quality.duane27

Have you seen it yet?

ryank285

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ryank285
Member since 2007 • 1152 Posts
To be honest, i am not overly impressed with blu ray movies either. They look really nice, but in no way is it worth spending 3-400 bucks on and 30 bucks a movie. Yes, i know blu ray movies look very good, but DVD doesnt look that bad either. I think most of y'all are spoiled and don't remember the VHS days.
tkemory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 tkemory

To be honest, i am not overly impressed with blu ray movies either. They look really nice, but in no way is it worth spending 3-400 bucks on and 30 bucks a movie. Yes, i know blu ray movies look very good, but DVD doesnt look that bad either. I think most of y'all are spoiled and don't remember the VHS days.ryank285

Wrong, I grew up in the VHS days. DVD was a huge improvement over DVD's, BD/HD DVD is a huge improvement over DVD9. VHS was a horrible format, but was good for what it was, making movies portable and paving the way to get us to where we are now. I wouldn't go back to it, and havent owned a VHS player in probably 10 years.

You guys are missing the fact that BD not only improves the picture, sound quality, but also the menu capabilities, the features. The experience is50 times better than a DVD for less than 8$ more a disc.

Sokol4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#14 Sokol4ever
Member since 2007 • 6717 Posts

Well, this is one of the beauty of PS3. I can enjoy games and it's a Blu-ray player.

All I have to do is spend 5$ and rent a movie to enjoy a weekend with friends. Wise investment :)

ryank285

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ryank285

[QUOTE="ryank285"]To be honest, i am not overly impressed with blu ray movies either. They look really nice, but in no way is it worth spending 3-400 bucks on and 30 bucks a movie. Yes, i know blu ray movies look very good, but DVD doesnt look that bad either. I think most of y'all are spoiled and don't remember the VHS days.tkemory

Wrong, I grew up in the VHS days. DVD was a huge improvement over DVD's, BD/HD DVD is a huge improvement over DVD9. VHS was a horrible format, but was good for what it was, making movies portable and paving the way to get us to where we are now. I wouldn't go back to it, and havent owned a VHS player in probably 10 years.

You guys are missing the fact that BD not only improves the picture, sound quality, but also the menu capabilities, the features. The experience is50 times better than a DVD for less than 8$ more a disc.

Less than 8 bucks more? ALOT of dvds are selling for between 3.99-9.99. blu rays are going for 20-30 bucks. Last i checked, 10 is more than 8.

I agree that blu ray is a great format, but for the price they are at right now, its not worth it. I rent all of my blu rays through netflix, i will NOT buy a movie until they are at a reasonable price.

plg2307

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 plg2307
Member since 2005 • 953 Posts
BLU-ray movies are protected and you need your ps3 connected via HDMI for it to show any higher than 480p. Maybe it still upscale the downscale version ... (weird way to put it but meh) but the native 1080p (or 1080i) can only be shown through HDMI
dstryr13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 dstryr13
Member since 2007 • 6521 Posts

BLU-ray movies are protected and you need your ps3 connected via HDMI for it to show any higher than 480p. Maybe it still upscale the downscale version ... (weird way to put it but meh) but the native 1080p (or 1080i) can only be shown through HDMIplg2307

WRONG, you can use component for 1080i and if your tv supports it over component,1080p

what you are thinking of, maybe, are DVD's and that they can only be upscaled via HDMI connection

tkemory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 tkemory
[QUOTE="tkemory"]

[QUOTE="ryank285"]To be honest, i am not overly impressed with blu ray movies either. They look really nice, but in no way is it worth spending 3-400 bucks on and 30 bucks a movie. Yes, i know blu ray movies look very good, but DVD doesnt look that bad either. I think most of y'all are spoiled and don't remember the VHS days.ryank285

Less than 8 bucks more? ALOT of dvds are selling for between 3.99-9.99. blu rays are going for 20-30 bucks. Last i checked, 10 is more than 8.

I agree that blu ray is a great format, but for the price they are at right now, its not worth it. I rent all of my blu rays through netflix, i will NOT buy a movie until they are at a reasonable price.

Whoa 3.99 - 9.99, maybe for a movie that is several years old. You are also comparing Black Friday prices, give me a break.

A new movie cost 14.99 - 16.99 if you catch it the first week it releases. Then it jumps to 19.99 - 24.99 depending on the title etc. A BD cost 26.99 - 29.99 when it first releases.

I dont fault you in waiting, just know it will be a looong time before you see BD at 3.99, look how long it took DVDs to get there.

ryank285

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ryank285
[QUOTE="ryank285"][QUOTE="tkemory"]

[QUOTE="ryank285"]To be honest, i am not overly impressed with blu ray movies either. They look really nice, but in no way is it worth spending 3-400 bucks on and 30 bucks a movie. Yes, i know blu ray movies look very good, but DVD doesnt look that bad either. I think most of y'all are spoiled and don't remember the VHS days.tkemory

Whoa 3.99 - 9.99, maybe for a movie that is several years old. You are also comparing Black Friday prices, give me a break.

A new movie cost 14.99 - 16.99 if you catch it the first week it releases. Then it jumps to 19.99 - 24.99 depending on the title etc. A BD cost 26.99 - 29.99 when it first releases.

I dont fault you in waiting, just know it will be a looong time before you see BD at 3.99, look how long it took DVDs to get there.

i dunno where you do your shopping but you are getting royally ripped off paying 19.99-24.99 for a regular DVD...

Spindoc_SEI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Spindoc_SEI
Member since 2005 • 1349 Posts
Blu-ray REQUIRES the use of an HDMI cable plugged into a television that supports HDCP decryption, otherwise the image is downscaled to 540p. You MUST use a HDMI cable to view movies in 1080p. This is not a limitation of the PS3 hardware, it's a specification of the Blu-ray standard. Blu-ray movies contain an ICP key that is transmitted through the digital signal ove HDMI that either displays the full image if a reply is sent back from a compatible device, or otherwise downscaled when the key is either refused because of lack of HDCP support or not sent because of the lack of a proper digtal signal through an HDMI or DVI cable.
plg2307

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 plg2307
Member since 2005 • 953 Posts

Blu-ray REQUIRES the use of an HDMI cable plugged into a television that supports HDCP decryption, otherwise the image is downscaled to 540p. You MUST use a HDMI cable to view movies in 1080p. This is not a limitation of the PS3 hardware, it's a specification of the Blu-ray standard. Blu-ray movies contain an ICP key that is transmitted through the digital signal ove HDMI that either displays the full image if a reply is sent back from a compatible device, or otherwise downscaled when the key is either refused because of lack of HDCP support or not sent because of the lack of a proper digtal signal through an HDMI or DVI cable.Spindoc_SEI

Exactly what I meant earlier

Even though not perfect information here's a wiki. DVI or HDMI is NEEDED for blu-ray / HD-DVD

"HD DVD, Blu-ray Disc and DVD players (with HDMI or DVI connector) use HDCP to establish an encrypted digital connection"

tkemory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 tkemory

i dunno where you do your shopping but you are getting royally ripped off paying 19.99-24.99 for a regular DVD...

ryank285

Please enlight me on where I can buy a NEW RELEASE standard DVD for under $19.99. Lets see this mystical store that sells them for under 19.99 within the first 3 months of release. Without a link you are simply trolling.

As I said above when a new movie releases, within the first week you can buy it for 14.99 - 16.99 at walmart, frys and a few other stores. Then EVERYONE raises the price usually to 19.99 the following week.

Since the holidays they have lowered the prices of the older dvds but the new releases are pretty stable once we get past Black Friday.

I have been buying DVDs for years, I know what they go for.

I just did a quick search on Google Product search for Superbad DVD. There were TWO stores that have it for under 19.99 and wait til you see their shipping policy http://www.google.com/products?q=superbad+dvd&show=dd