Question about a router. HELP PLZ

This topic is locked from further discussion.

whodeysay85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 whodeysay85
Member since 2006 • 3237 Posts
So i've had the ps3 for about 5 months now. I haven't played it online yet due to the fact that there are no available cable ports in my house. I need to purchase a router. But my computer with the cable internet is upstairs. I would need a router that could travel like 3 rooms over and go down to the basement. I don't know anything about routers so i was hoping someone would be kind enough to suggest one and the price. I would really appreciate it.
giton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 giton
Member since 2007 • 1745 Posts
you will need a wireless-G router, and a fairly high-end one ($100) to get a good signal that far. but it shouldn't be a problem with a higher-end Netgear or D-Link router. My Netgear has a better range than my D-Link, both are 108mbps extended range wireless-g (supports 802.11a, b, and g.
TwiztedMetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3 TwiztedMetal
Member since 2007 • 866 Posts

I highly recomend this router!

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7061751&type=product&id=1108125361676

I'm a IT guy and I have recently purchased 3 of these and everyone that I have installed these for are having no probs they use MIMO technology which means you will be the best range and they only cost $80. If you need any more help just message me.

giton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 giton

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7061751&type=product&id=1108125361676

I'm a IT guy and I have recently purchased 3 of these and everyone that I have installed these for are having no probs they use MIMO technology which means you will be the best range and they only cost $80. If you need any more help just message me.

TwiztedMetal

that's exactly the netgear i have, and i agree it's an excellent wireless router. i had to glue that little black disk that came with it over the blue flashing bulge on top to permanently block the light because the bright blue lights blinking all around were driving me crazy and was enough to keep me up at night just by reflecting off the walls from two dors down the hall. it's quite obnoxious those lights, but yeah a great router.

Xire_XII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#5 Xire_XII
Member since 2007 • 3092 Posts

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp;jsessionid=DKHOAH2YJ3NKNKC4D3GVAGI?type=product&id=1051384664188

A pretty good router, great range. Check your local Best Buy, there was a sale on these a month ago and I picked up two for $64 each. I have the one the other user previously posted, which is wonderful. If you can though, to save money, check to see if that sale is still about.

TwiztedMetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 TwiztedMetal
[QUOTE="TwiztedMetal"]

giton

that's exactly the netgear i have, and i agree it's an excellent wireless router. i had to glue that little black disk that came with it over the blue flashing bulge on top to permanently block the light because the bright blue lights blinking all around were driving me crazy and was enough to keep me up at night just by reflecting off the walls from two dors down the hall. it's quite obnoxious those lights, but yeah a great router.

there should be a black button were the ports are on the back of your router if you push it, it will turn off the lights to the big blue blinking bulb on the top :)

slyydevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 slyydevil
Member since 2004 • 494 Posts

also check this one out: www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8374476&type=product&id=1178925992300

I got one from outpost.com for $83 tax and shipping included. It has crazy range and is b/c with n-draft/b/g

TwiztedMetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 TwiztedMetal

also check this one out: www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8374476&type=product&id=1178925992300

I got one from outpost.com for $83 tax and shipping included. It has crazy range and is b/c with n-draft/b/g

slyydevil

i would not get a draft N anything because the draft is not finalized yet but that is up to you.

slyydevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 slyydevil
Member since 2004 • 494 Posts
[QUOTE="slyydevil"]

TwiztedMetal

i would not get a draft N anything because the draft is not finalized yet but that is up to you.

It's not draft N, it's a str8 up N and it was up and working within 5 mins no disconnects at all and have been folding for days now not one drop or need to reset anything and for that price with that range you simply can't beat it....

giton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 giton
[QUOTE="giton"][QUOTE="TwiztedMetal"]

TwiztedMetal

there should be a black button were the ports are on the back of your router if you push it, it will turn off the lights to the big blue blinking bulb on the top :)

i checked mine and it doesn't have it. i got my WPN824 when it first hit the shelves, so maybe that is a feature they added to later revisions after people like me complained. :-)