PSP(sound quality) VS iPod(MP3 Player)(sound quality)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

castrolsupra23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 castrolsupra23
Member since 2003 • 356 Posts
Which can play a higher bit rate? I've always wondered which can play higher sound quality, a PSP or an MP3 player? Does anyone know the answer to my question? Enlighten me with your knowledge people of gamespot... no just kidding. Anyways... Thanks in advance.
-_Cloud_-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 -_Cloud_-
Member since 2005 • 1851 Posts
An MP3 can play the highest bit rate compared to the PSP. The PSP isn't good when it comes to music quality. It's still good, but compared to an MP3 player, it fails.
castrolsupra23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 castrolsupra23
Ok, thanks. You know what's funny though. Some people don't even know what bit rate means, so some people don't really know how to use the full potential of their MP3 players. They may have an iPod but their music is less than CD quality music because they just used limewire or something like that.
kimbokasteniv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 kimbokasteniv
Member since 2004 • 3892 Posts

An MP3 can play the highest bit rate compared to the PSP. The PSP isn't good when it comes to music quality. It's still good, but compared to an MP3 player, it fails.-_Cloud_-

I'm afraid I do not agree.

The iPod Touch has a max supported MP3 bitrate of 320Kbps. I could not find a specific statement of the psp's max supported MP3 bitrate, but I have songs that are 320Kbps, and I am quite sure I have played them on the psp.

So as far as that goes I am quite sure they are the same. Also, engadget did a little sound comparison using Shure E3C earbuds, and they stated that there was "no discernable difference."

However, the iPod touch does support WAV, while the psp does not. I suppose that is an advantage.

I know that neither you or the OP mentioned the ipod Touch specifically, but I would assume most people find that to be the top of the line mp3 player.

castrolsupra23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 castrolsupra23
So the psp can play 320kbps? If it does that's really cool.
ps2_india

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 ps2_india
Member since 2003 • 621 Posts

@castro

i have ipod shuffle 2generation.1gb.i download songs from limewire and i dont enjoy the quality..i expect more.....please explain to me how can i increase the quality of my favmusic and also i am slim psp today.

castrolsupra23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 castrolsupra23

@castro

i have ipod shuffle 2generation.1gb.i download songs from limewire and i dont enjoy the quality..i expect more.....please explain to me how can i increase the quality of my favmusic and also i am slim psp today.

ps2_india
If you want high quality music... then get the real CDs or albums and rip them at the highest quality you can rip them. But thats really expensive. You can try itunes but I think the music is only like 192kbps which is better that CD player but 192kbps is still not the highest bit rate the iPod can play. But that's also expensive. But there are other *cough*cheaper or even free*cough* ways, but we "can't talk about" them in here.
xcryonicx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 xcryonicx
Member since 2006 • 1294 Posts

I've done some listening tests and I think the iPod/any MP3 player beats PSP in sound quality. It's not horrible, but the difference is noticable, and understandably so.

And for those interested in creating the best sounding Mp3's you can, check this out: http://www.chrismyden.com/bestmp3guide.php

Learn it, use it, love it.

nicelf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 nicelf
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

I do not agree to judge a mp3 player by distinguishing what bit rate they can play. As we all know, both two of them can play 320K, ACCandother High-quality compressed format. it do not lie on the quality of music extremely ( of course, basicupper quality is necessary), but your ear. Using mp3 as sample, it is usual that most of us could not distinguish the difference between 320K and 192K songs except those so called "gold ears" who can tell the tinydifference between each of them.

Theaudiostyle of Ipod is insipid, it can truly bring back the original sounds to you, Concerning PSP, it inherited the inherent style of Sony, brings warm feeling to everyone who is listening, you can feel like music is surrounding you and embracing you.

Anyway, it is all depends on your ear, your feeling, so choose the one which you think is right

Hekynn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Hekynn
Member since 2003 • 2164 Posts
hehe use Sonicstage to choose your bitrates it can choose any too =) so I use my psp as a mp3 player alot along with my videos/games
kimbokasteniv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11 kimbokasteniv
Member since 2004 • 3892 Posts

I do not agree to judge a mp3 player by distinguishing what bit rate they can play.

nicelf

I would say you are right. However, it is difficult to compare things without quantifying some qualities about them. But sure, perphaps both devices play at the same bitrate, but one creates static on the line, or whatever.

When I posted I was mainly trying to avoid phrases such as: "this devices sounds better", or "this device is real bassy." You know, various descriptions that really don't mean anything.

In the end, I am relatively confident that two high quality electronic devices would hardly differ in ability to reproduce the electronic signals needed by speakers. Instead I think the real debate lies with the speakers or headphones themselves.

nicelf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 nicelf
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
[QUOTE="nicelf"]

I do not agree to judge a mp3 player by distinguishing what bit rate they can play.

kimbokasteniv

I would say you are right. However, it is difficult to compare things without quantifying some qualities about them. But sure, perphaps both devices play at the same bitrate, but one creates static on the line, or whatever.

When I posted I was mainly trying to avoid phrases such as: "this devices sounds better", or "this device is real bassy." You know, various descriptions that really don't mean anything.

In the end, I am relatively confident that two high quality electronic devices would hardly differ in ability to reproduce the electronic signals needed by speakers. Instead I think the real debate lies with the speakers or headphones themselves.

Absolutely agreed with your point, concerning recent popular electronice devices, they all got high-quality decoding unit and memory/hard disksuch as Philips's & Samsung's, what we should do is to choose a right stereo exporter to enjoy your music, i rather think that speakers or headphones can talk more differences than electronice player themselves, but the accordatura of audio style has been limited by electronice devices at the beginning, for example, Creative's previous mp3 player were not accomplished in bassy. this status could hardly beimproved even you adopt an embedding earphone.

castrolsupra23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 castrolsupra23
I agree that if you don't have GOOD headphones, then the type of music player doesn't really matter. A lot of people just use the earphones that come with the iPod(which I think are horrible) and those don't really deliver any life like sound at all in my opinion. I own the bose in-ear right now, I like the sound quality but they are barely audible while i'm on the bus. The psp doesn't help all that much either, since it has lower volume compared other music players. I'm planning to upgrade to shure(maybe the scl4's or the se310's or something) for sound isolation and better sound quality. Anyways... enough about my life. Great sound quality comes with a high price... since the shure's costs more the psp itself so i'm going to have to think a lot about it.
PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18830 Posts

The PSP volume is to LOW compared to CD players and MP3 players.

Why is that?

AdamPA1006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 AdamPA1006
Member since 2004 • 6422 Posts

I agree that if you don't have GOOD headphones, then the type of music player doesn't really matter. A lot of people just use the earphones that come with the iPod(which I think are horrible) and those don't really deliver any life like sound at all in my opinion. I own the bose in-ear right now, I like the sound quality but they are barely audible while i'm on the bus. The psp doesn't help all that much either, since it has lower volume compared other music players. I'm planning to upgrade to shure(maybe the scl4's or the se310's or something) for sound isolation and better sound quality. Anyways... enough about my life. Great sound quality comes with a high price... since the shure's costs more the psp itself so i'm going to have to think a lot about it.castrolsupra23

I have Shue E2c headphones and use them with my PSP. The PSP can play high bitrate music, and it sounds great. You will not be dissapointed....

castrolsupra23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 castrolsupra23

[QUOTE="castrolsupra23"]I agree that if you don't have GOOD headphones, then the type of music player doesn't really matter. A lot of people just use the earphones that come with the iPod(which I think are horrible) and those don't really deliver any life like sound at all in my opinion. I own the bose in-ear right now, I like the sound quality but they are barely audible while i'm on the bus. The psp doesn't help all that much either, since it has lower volume compared other music players. I'm planning to upgrade to shure(maybe the scl4's or the se310's or something) for sound isolation and better sound quality. Anyways... enough about my life. Great sound quality comes with a high price... since the shure's costs more the psp itself so i'm going to have to think a lot about it.AdamPA1006

I have Shue E2c headphones and use them with my PSP. The PSP can play high bitrate music, and it sounds great. You will not be dissapointed....

Yeah i don't know which one i like better though the new se310's or the e4c's(aka the scl4) because i heard that the se310s have deeper bass but not as balanced in the mids and highs as the e4cs in sound quality... so i'm still trying to decide, which one to get.
Zm33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Zm33
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

depends which 1 has a better dsp (digital signal processor) as the bit rates r equal but im guessing psp should have excellent sound quality as it is from sony and 1 more thing remeber the old ps the original 1 sph 1001 i think , that 1 is rumored to be an excellent cd player and can match the performance of a very expensive ones (correct me if i am wrong)

Avatar image for cowsrule1234567
cowsrule1234567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 cowsrule1234567
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts
most of my songs i put into my psp are 320kbps
Talldude80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#19 Talldude80
Member since 2003 • 6321 Posts

sound quality is determined by the quality of your speakers/headphones AND the bitrate of your mp3s. CD-quality sound is the best, then they is is compressed to make an MP3. MP3's can be many different qualities. so really an IPOD or a PSP can have the same exact mp3 and if you use the same headphones it will sound exactly the same.

hope that cleared it up for you

syncrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 syncrus
psp can play ape but it's not perfect, but atrac 3+is perfect
danny5329

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 danny5329
Member since 2005 • 954 Posts
SORRY , but i've got to say that the award goes to ipod. No worries though, the psp however still keeps the " Jack of all trades, master of none " title.
shanghairain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 shanghairain

Actuaully, none of you seem to know what you are talking about. Sound quality of an mp3 is hugely different, some can drive "cans" others don't have a high enough output--they range from 5w to 30w. Check this test in which the psp featured:

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-11297_7-6510133-1.html?tag=rb_content;rb_mtx

In short, the psp is an excellent mp3 player.

If you want good sound then you will need a headphone amplifier and, of course, good headphones. Cheap would be the boosteroo and some Grados or Sennheiser hd212, and, as expensive as you like with tube amplifiers going into the thousands $$$ and high end cans generally close to a grand.

DarkMaster7991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#23 DarkMaster7991
Member since 2006 • 1585 Posts

Well in the music department in anything the Ipod or MP3 player is better. I should know. After an unfourtante accident with my ipod I was forced to use my PSP forr music. Now the sound isn't that good (you would need to get some sort of headphones that make the sound louder), it's anoyying holding the PSP (its bigger than the ipod, and the stupid trigger are really senstive so if you don't have it on hold be ready to have your song skip like hell). I can deal with it but I just find my hold Ipod to be the best. The PSP is okay but if you really want to hear quality music from a good player an ipod is the way to go.

garathe_den

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 garathe_den
Member since 2008 • 1427 Posts
I don't think it matters about the quality unless your partially deaf, but I guess I'd rather have a seperate mp3 player/ipod to keep the memory stick's space more available than if all my songs were on it...Plus the navigation in the psp is not as organised as an ipods, but the sound quality is fine.
boybrushdred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 boybrushdred
Member since 2007 • 1892 Posts

The PSP volume is to LOW compared to CD players and MP3 players.

Why is that?

PSP107

that's just the way it is. the psp is built for gaming. the music player, video player, and internet browser are just features.

even if you max the volume on the psp's music player, its nothing compared to iPod or zen or other mp3 players. i rip music on 320kbps and yes it plays on the psp but the volume makes the psp music player poor.