PSPGo - Dud on Arrival?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Goffee71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Goffee71
Member since 2005 • 548 Posts

Not since the launch of the N64 (Laughed at for sticking to cartridges when everything else was going CD-ROM) has a console been unveiled to such a torrent of negativity.

Solutions Needed Now

With its release just a few weeks away, here's a few tips:

Full story here

Are you still after a PSPGo?

SadPSPAddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#2 SadPSPAddict
Member since 2006 • 5462 Posts

Never wanted one. Don't get me wrong, new gadgets are always appealing and if there had been major improvements to it's gaming capabilities I'd have been tempted but I just don't like the idea of being stuck with PSN prices and not being able to shop around.

Josh5890

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Josh5890
Member since 2007 • 1025 Posts

I honestly can see the PSP Go being a dud. But I'm not happy because I want Sony to succeed. But I refuse to buy it until they drop the price $50 at least, make prices fair on PSN, and give me a way to transfer my 22 UMD games onto the PSP Go.

SRTtoZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SRTtoZ
Member since 2009 • 4800 Posts

Great Idea, day 1 buy for me. Is it steep in price? Sure...but all new consoles are. You cant tell me PS3 is worth 5-600 bucks when it was released lol.

And I dont think its a flop...I live in NY in a very popular crowded area and my local gamestop is sold out on preorders as of a few days ago when I went to put more money down.

damann22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 damann22
Member since 2004 • 7655 Posts

the ds had a lot of critizism when it first came out, and look how it did. Ive already pre-ordered the white psp go and dont care what the negative feedback for it is like prelaunch. Ill see what its like post launch and see what happens. I dont think its dead on arrival just yet.

Threesixtyci

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Threesixtyci
Member since 2006 • 4451 Posts

Great Idea, day 1 buy for me. Is it steep in price? Sure...but all new consoles are. You cant tell me PS3 is worth 5-600 bucks when it was released lol.

And I dont think its a flop...I live in NY in a very popular crowded area and my local gamestop is sold out on preorders as of a few days ago when I went to put more money down.

SRTtoZ
I don't think that's a very good comparison. It's more like Sony selling the PS3 Slim for $500 while selling the fat version for $400. But regardless, people will buy the thing. They may regret it later, but they will buy it.
Comduter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7 Comduter
Member since 2004 • 2316 Posts

I was planning on buying one eventually. I would buy one sooner if Sony gave more details about their so-called goodwill program. They've been msyteriously silent about that subject, and it makes me not trust them. I spent alot of money on over 20 UMD games. I want to be able to transfer them to a PSP Go. I won't buy a Go if I have to start all over again. I also like having the choice to buy games online, or at different stores to see which palce has the best deal. I don't like having only one choice (PSN). I'll just get a 3000 instead in that case.

Talldude80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#8 Talldude80
Member since 2003 • 6321 Posts

Never wanted one. Don't get me wrong, new gadgets are always appealing and if there had been major improvements to it's gaming capabilities I'd have been tempted but I just don't like the idea of being stuck with PSN prices and not being able to shop around.

SadPSPAddict

yeah, i agree completely. a monopoly on where u can get the games is not appealing....

GamerAsylum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 GamerAsylum
Member since 2009 • 91 Posts

I will wait a week or two after launch to see the ratings of the PSP Go.

ston3henge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 ston3henge
Member since 2007 • 2732 Posts

Your topic line is a bit slanted, that's not really a fair way of conducting a pole. It's not goingto be a dud. Some will buy it, others won't... but there's no reason to plant the word "dud" in the minds of people you want an opinion from.

Just a thought.

r-teest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 r-teest
Member since 2007 • 949 Posts

One good I thought of, about only being able to download games on psn, is that u can share the game. If you have a friend who wants the same game as you, you all could pay half and half, then just "share" the game. But then again, you could buy a 3000 and do the same thing...

Goffee71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Goffee71
Member since 2005 • 548 Posts
Good point, but its a weird feeling seeing something you really want go from sparkly-glory to looking-like-toast in a matter of weeks. Like a new sports season full of hope and your team loses its first five games... Would be cool if the PSPGo is a success but as others have said being locked into a single source for your games is rather scary
Avatar image for deactivated-5b78379493e12
deactivated-5b78379493e12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#13 deactivated-5b78379493e12
Member since 2005 • 15625 Posts

GamerAsylum

While I own a 3000 and don't plan now on upgrading., I'm waiting until it gets out to consumers and I can see some honest feedback. I'm sure it's overpriced, but it still may be a decent gadget to have.

Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#14 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts
I'm not getting one but the PS3 was declared doomed because of it's high price and look how well it's doing now. The Go will have a rough start but most likely do OK in the long run after price cuts.
DarkMaster7991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#15 DarkMaster7991
Member since 2006 • 1585 Posts
I had faith in it for awhile but with the recent Program of only 17 list of games to get if ur an old user supposely being the "good will" progam makes it a dud for me. Why? Well Im a basic vertan of the psp. Going from its first release to my current slim. I have atleast 5 or mroe games that I play on my psp whenever I get the chance and would like to get a go (epciall because off the exlcusive services like comics and stuff) but this program is crap. I am better off keeping my current system. Get games cheaper, keep my current games, and not waste as much money. Unless they confirm that thier old good will program is still being developed, it will be a dud for me.
ston3henge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ston3henge

I'm not getting one but the PS3 was declared doomed because of it's high price and look how well it's doing now. The Go will have a rough start but most likely do OK in the long run after price cuts.Floppy_Jim

It's,,, still not doin' all THAT well... they're just happy to be climbing out of the hole. And to do so, they've had to take some critical hits along the way and price cuts more than a year earlier than they had anticipated. Also, neither Sony nor Microsoft have managed to reduce the per-capita system failures to ANYONE'S satisfaction - The faith in PS3 and 360 are an industry all-time-low. Now this mothion controller nonsense and the 3D PS3 on the horizon should muddle things up righteously.

Sony is grasping at straws.

I love my PSP, I still use my PS2 every day, but Sony has got some serious work to do if they want me to shell out for any further hardawre investments... especially because they keep coming out with minor upgrades every other minute like Nintendo. When they settle on a hard drive size and other bells and whistles, (and a track record of solid service without failure) perhaps I'll buy. But not before.

canadianloonie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#17 canadianloonie
Member since 2004 • 384 Posts

Never wanted one. There is no reason to get a Go if you already have a PSP.

Plus, there aren't any new/upcoming games to get excited for. :( Gran Turismo, Motorstorm, and LBP PSP all sounded promising when they were first announced. But they're turning out to be duds as well.

shureshot24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18 shureshot24
Member since 2009 • 319 Posts

I just dont think this is what sony should be spending there time on the psp. I just dont think we need a new version of the psp. Lets get something really new instead of reclying the same system.

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#19 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

it doesnt do anything different then my 2000 series psp so nope , my 2000 series psp is better it can download and play umds as well ,

bigger screen etc

bones3417

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 bones3417
Member since 2008 • 704 Posts

i think i might buy with no having to carry a buch of umds when traveling but i dont think ill get one right away

ston3henge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ston3henge

i think i might buy with no having to carry a buch of umds when traveling but i dont think ill get one right away

bones3417

... and buy all of those titles in your collection again because there is no way to put your old UMD library on the Go. Enjoy. With only twelve titles in my collection that's still an economically daunting task. I travel over 200 days a year, and the Go makes a lot of sense to me as well because I don't want to haul all of my UMDs around either... but it's just way, way too much money to get "up and running". I'd rather spend $40-$80 upgrading my memory stick and get all of the PSN content as well as my standing collection.

I'm going out to buy a 3000 bundle of some description right now, and all of the UMDs I can afford (and finally kick my 2000 down to the roommate) :D

digimonkey12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 digimonkey12
Member since 2009 • 1851 Posts

Now that it is official there will be NO freaking good will program for converting UMD to the GO it will be burried at arrivel. What the "%¤#"%¤# is Sony thinking ?. What an EPIC FAIL !!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Threesixtyci

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Threesixtyci
Member since 2006 • 4451 Posts

Now that it is official there will be NO freaking good will program for converting UMD to the GO it will be burried at arrivel. What the "%¤#"%¤# is Sony thinking ?. What an EPIC FAIL !!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

digimonkey12
They're thinking that if you're desperate enough to buy the more expensive PSPGo when you already have an older PSP that you'll have no problem spending the extra money for the PSN version of the games, you already own. And maybe, next year... they'll announce a PSP2 that has no backwards compatibility to the PSP....
digimonkey12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 digimonkey12

Exactly and they also better have all the UMD movies that I got for DL too because I got money to BURN !! ...

Cheering for the GO nowadays shure makes it hard when Sony is ******* up so badly.

..........................................................................................................................................................................................................

lewisg1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 lewisg1212
Member since 2005 • 1698 Posts
[QUOTE="digimonkey12"]

Threesixtyci
They're thinking that if you're desperate enough to buy the more expensive PSPGo when you already have an older PSP that you'll have no problem spending the extra money for the PSN version of the games, you already own. i hope there isnt BC...UMD sucks.... And maybe, next year... they'll announce a PSP2 that has no backwards compatibility to the PSP....

More_Dakka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 84

#26 More_Dakka
Member since 2007 • 1625 Posts

There is no reason to get a Go if you already have a PSP.

canadianloonie

QFT

When I heard that the PSP Go had no way to get your UMD games onto it (goodwill program or something like that), I immediately lost all interest in it.

Also- the article must have been written before that announcement... Cause the PSP Go has probably lost the interest of the hardcore PSP users now- due to the fact that it forces them to repurchase most of their games- and many of them are overpriced on the PSN store...

Case in point- I was very interested in the PSP Go for a while- but the announcement of no UMD transferring/re-downloading without repurchasing killed all the excitment.

It'll be great for those who have no UMDs or have never had a PSP- and for that reason- I'm led to believe it won't be a complete flop, especially since PSP sales have been going up on occasion recently- haven't they?

digimonkey12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 digimonkey12

Announced a price at 250 at least 100 more in EU,less battery life and finally there won't be a UMD converter that is good going Sony. I have to say all this makes me allmost angry.

.............................................................................................................................................................................................................

Lauryn2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#28 Lauryn2000
Member since 2005 • 2582 Posts

GamerAsylum

I'm curious but not overly excited...heck I have the Phat and God Of War PSP..haven't played with either in god knows how long....:shock:

fail_baby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 fail_baby
Member since 2009 • 898 Posts

bones3417
No offense, but I believe that the only people who are planning to buy it are the ones who've been tricked by Sony's clever advertising. The only benefit that the GO has over the other models is that it's smaller and has bluetooth.
damann22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 damann22
Member since 2004 • 7655 Posts

[QUOTE="bones3417"]

fail_baby

No offense, but I believe that the only people who are planning to buy it are the ones who've been tricked by Sony's clever advertising. The only benefit that the GO has over the other models is that it's smaller and has bluetooth.

well i have pre-ordered a white go and I havent been "tricked" into buying it. Ive done my research and the go is the best thing suited for my lifestyle. Its all a matter of preference. If I preferred the 3000, then thats what I would be getting.

coolkid93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#31 coolkid93
Member since 2007 • 6749 Posts
No Never wanted one in the first place. No UMD and HIGH PRICE. You can't put many games on a 16GB HDD and besides I'd feel like I'm adding to my collection if I get a UMD game. I like download but UMD kicks butt. At least with UMD I won't have to worry about my psp saying "data corrupted" or error(810000210) or some number after I've already PAID for a game.
Bigboss232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32 Bigboss232
Member since 2006 • 4997 Posts

You know that mini sd is really cheap. So more memory is easy to get.

crispytheone88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 crispytheone88
Member since 2006 • 901 Posts

My biggest problem with the PSP go, besides how expensive it is, is the lack of UMD drive

I can buy a used game cheap, and play it

with the PSP go, i cannot

The PSPgo vs the PSP 3000, the 3000 can do everything the go can do, although it is larger, it can download games, and still plays the umd's. I guess it would be diffrent if the Go offered something significantly diffrent and game changing, but it doesn't, its like the PS3, I have a launch PS3 with all the memory card slots, USB ports and full backwards compatability, yeah the new PS3 is cheaper, but it has lost alot of functionality to, same here, but the PSP go is more expensive, wierd

ston3henge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 ston3henge

When I was in a game store tonight, the clerk tried to sell me a Go... when I shook my head "no", he leaned over the counter and whispered "NO ONE wants a Go..."

He said that they are laying around like a dead hooker, and that they have zero pre-orders for it. He also agreed that the 3000 would be his personal choice, just because then you have the best of all worlds.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#35 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

Well, the PSP's revival seems to have failed- miserably- so far. Resistance Retribution bombed at retail, Rock Band Unplugged seems to have come and go without making any mark, Monster Hunter Freedom Unite did not make any impact in spite of a visibly better marketing campaign by Sony, Soul Calibur was a disgrace to the human race, Dissidia was good, and now we have this attrocity...! I think the Go signifies the PSP's entire life span.

Avatar image for EyeShatteredSky
EyeShatteredSky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#36 EyeShatteredSky
Member since 2008 • 1510 Posts

I already own a 3000 model, but taking into account my small library of UMDs and my larger than life collection of downloaded movies and games, I don't think upgrading to the Go will prove much of a hassle. I'll probably put it down as a christmas gift.

lewisg1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 lewisg1212

When I was in a game store tonight, the clerk tried to sell me a Go... when I shook my head "no", he leaned over the counter and whispered "NO ONE wants a Go..."

He said that they are laying around like a dead hooker, and that they have zero pre-orders for it. He also agreed that the 3000 would be his personal choice, just because then you have the best of all worlds.

ston3henge
so...so so wrong...in the UK i got 17 pre-orders alone in my 4 hour shift.... or maybe im just good :P
DarkMaster7991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#38 DarkMaster7991
Member since 2006 • 1585 Posts
[QUOTE="lewisg1212"][QUOTE="ston3henge"]

so...so so wrong...in the UK i got 17 pre-orders alone in my 4 hour shift.... or maybe im just good :P

In the UK they get more stuff than in the US. You get the Go Reawrds and supposely Grand Turismo while we get no program what so ever and we just get some crappy Rock Band Demo.
ston3henge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 ston3henge

[QUOTE="ston3henge"]

lewisg1212

Might be "wrong" in the UK, but here in the USA it's still a door stop and no one is buying. Period.

lewisg1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 lewisg1212

[QUOTE="lewisg1212"][QUOTE="ston3henge"]

ston3henge

Might be "wrong" in the UK, but here in the USA it's still a door stop and no one is buying. Period.

fair enough...if i had a psp already i wouldnt buy one in all fairness...for new adopters though...
ston3henge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 ston3henge

If I was fresh-off-the-boat new to the PSP, I would STILL end up with a 3000 bundle. No question about it. UMD re-sales fit way too prominently into my wallet, with it's tightness. I'm glad people dig it, but to me as a gamer it makes no sense at all. $250 US would get me a 3000 bundle, a memory stick upgrade (8Gs - PLENTY of storage space - goes for around $35 US from a few different websites like TigerDirect or amazon), and even a game & movie, AND I'm not beholden to Sony for every future transaction concerning the platform. I can put my own movies, my own music, and my own game collection on a 3000 without having to pay Sony full price for years-old titles, films, etc.

BAM.

:)

hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 hakanakumono
Member since 2008 • 27455 Posts

SRTtoZ

It's production cost was $800. o.o;

rastan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 rastan
Member since 2003 • 1405 Posts
3000 is definitely the way to go. Bigger, cheaper, and can play all UMD's and downloads. On the UMD conversion front, they could of put kiosks in the stores that would take your UMD, destroy it, and then give your account access to the downloadable version. Another easy solution would of been that you had to pay a small fee to "upgrade" your UMD to digital. This could have been done on the old PSP so that they could verify the UMD and then activate the new game on your account for download. Finally, they could o went old school, and used the DVD/Blu-Ray method where you get to keep your UMD, but you get some of your money back on the "upgraded version price" if you send in the UPC form the game box.
Manticore7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Manticore7
Member since 2009 • 864 Posts
I hope its very succesful, but the price tag is outrageous. I think tho new PSP owners like my brother is super excited never owned a PSP, ive also never owned a psp and ill be buying a PSP go has my first PSP and im super excited
feryl06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#45 feryl06
Member since 2006 • 4955 Posts

What's NOT to love with a smaller screen, high price tag and NO UMD. :P Unless Sony's play is to eventually phase out UMDs, why would anyone purchase a GO?