PSP2 reader could incorporate a Blu-ray Mini

This topic is locked from further discussion.

samflynnn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 samflynnn
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
Without a doubt, one of the topics that has to talk in forums, sites, magazines and conversations by the coffee machine has been PSP2, the supposed successor to the current Sony PlayStation Portable. Rumors, leaks, official statements, images and other types of information have been happening during all these months, which is now must add a new figure that begins to fill pages and pages of forums and websites across the network: PSP2 could Mini reader incorporate Blu-ray. The Mini Blu-ray Disc is a compact variant of normal BR disk with a diameter of 8 cm. and an approximate capacity of 7.5 GB of information. Is currently used for compact camcorders and other recording devices. The news of the possible inclusion of CCS in the PSP2 has been disclosed and revealed in a promotional video for the company privately to investors and publishing firm, which reported plans of the various divisions Sony ahead to 2011. Source: http://technogage.com/psp2-reader-could-incorporate-a-blu-ray-mini.html
Crystal-Rush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Crystal-Rush
Member since 2005 • 2274 Posts
What would be the point when there are flash cards that can hold more information and are also faster. A certain upcoming handheld will use flash cards which hold 8GB + of data and it will have no load times. Blu ray in the PSP2 seems like a step backwards considering what it offers
blacknight06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 blacknight06
Member since 2006 • 1422 Posts

Is currently used for compact camcorders and other recording devices.samflynnn
:roll:Someone forgot their subject...

wakefulness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 wakefulness
Member since 2010 • 3989 Posts

What would be the point when there are flash cards that can hold more information and are also faster. A certain upcoming handheld will use flash cards which hold 8GB + of data and it will have no load times. Blu ray in the PSP2 seems like a step backwards considering what it offersCrystal-Rush

Actually, Nintendo's 3DS will use ROM "game cards". A flash card format currently is known to have a (theoritical) 2TB capacity with 32GB retail flash card types (such as micro SD and mem pro duo) already in production.

One would think by using a Blue ray mini type the power consuption would make the PSP2 mobile device virtually un-enjoyable. Providing around ball park of 1-3 hours because of the extra power needed to spin blue rays (more RPM than regular optical discs), the technology needed to shrink down an ultra-violet laser diode, and the fact the device will need to be as thin as a PSP while still having the reported 'back touch panel' therefore shrinking down battery size. Not to mention the upgraded processor specs and the drain on the battery.

Seems like the right choice to switch to flash and/or ROM, even if it's a slighter larger hit in the pocket per production costs. After all, what good is printing games for a device that is not going to sell because of the poor battery life?

Granpire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 139

#5 Granpire
Member since 2008 • 2749 Posts
What would be the point when there are flash cards that can hold more information and are also faster. A certain upcoming handheld will use flash cards which hold 8GB + of data and it will have no load times. Blu ray in the PSP2 seems like a step backwards considering what it offersCrystal-Rush
This statement is unbased. The 3DS is using 2GB flash cards from launch, with the possibility of larger sizes to come in the future. This is nowhere near the viable price range of a 7.5GB Blu-Ray medium. My opinion is that this is the way to go. 7.5GB is exciting. :)
mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#6 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

well 1- the use is we dont need credit cards/debit cards or prepaid cards to purchase our games which is a plus!

Crystal-Rush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Crystal-Rush
Member since 2005 • 2274 Posts

[QUOTE="Crystal-Rush"]What would be the point when there are flash cards that can hold more information and are also faster. A certain upcoming handheld will use flash cards which hold 8GB + of data and it will have no load times. Blu ray in the PSP2 seems like a step backwards considering what it offersGranpire
This statement is unbased. The 3DS is using 2GB flash cards from launch, with the possibility of larger sizes to come in the future. This is nowhere near the viable price range of a 7.5GB Blu-Ray medium. My opinion is that this is the way to go. 7.5GB is exciting. :)

Actually the 3DS 2GB flash card news that is going around is for storage like pictures, game saves, virtual console and other stuff NOT FOR 3DS GAMES. For actual 3DS games the 3DS will use 8GB rom cards with the option of increasing size later on, this is fact. Although rom and flash are more expensive in production, they are the better alternative because they dont suffer any of the flaws that blu ray offers. I stand firm in saying that if PSP2 does have a blu ray type drive, it wont be any better and there are better options for Sony.

MacSexy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 MacSexy
Member since 2007 • 143 Posts

[QUOTE="samflynnn"] Is currently used for compact camcorders and other recording devices.blacknight06

Not exactly, he's saying the medium is small enough for a handheld device, which means it could be adapted to another medium if Sony truly felt like it, because there's no extra cost in developing a new gaming medium (like the UMD). To quote from a good Family Guy gag:

"We can rebuild him; stronger, faster...but I don't want to use a lot of money."

Avatar image for darth-pyschosis
darth-pyschosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 darth-pyschosis
Member since 2006 • 9322 Posts

Meh, why when the main competitor has 8GB game cards?

Honestly, it needs to play games off something small with flash memory, not UMD, not mini-BR.

Less moving parts, faster loading, and better battery life all the way.

blacknight06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10 blacknight06
Member since 2006 • 1422 Posts

[QUOTE="blacknight06"]

[QUOTE="samflynnn"] Is currently used for compact camcorders and other recording devices.MacSexy

Not exactly, he's saying the medium is small enough for a handheld device, which means it could be adapted to another medium if Sony truly felt like it, because there's no extra cost in developing a new gaming medium (like the UMD). To quote from a good Family Guy gag:

"We can rebuild him; stronger, faster...but I don't want to use a lot of money."

That's not what I was getting at, but, (O_k)

taouin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#11 taouin
Member since 2004 • 91 Posts
Ah gawd no! please not disc based games ! disc are slow and fragile, just make a cartridge with flash memory, Sony probably has a pile of Memorystick in its warehouse
Jak-25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Jak-25
Member since 2007 • 2475 Posts

I would rather have some memory stick format instead of UMD or any disc based format. I think memory sticks are more durable than discs. That's my opinion at least.

Granpire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 139

#13 Granpire
Member since 2008 • 2749 Posts

Actually the 3DS 2GB flash card news that is going around is for storage like pictures, game saves, virtual console and other stuff NOT FOR 3DS GAMES. For actual 3DS games the 3DS will use 8GB rom cards with the option of increasing size later on, this is fact. Although rom and flash are more expensive in production, they are the better alternative because they dont suffer any of the flaws that blu ray offers. I stand firm in saying that if PSP2 does have a blu ray type drive, it wont be any better and there are better options for Sony.

Crystal-Rush

I`ve just read an article that confirms that 8GB is the maximum, not the minimum. http://3ds.nintendolife.com/news/2010/12/3ds_game_cards_could_reach_a_mighty_8gb

The cards will start at 1GB and range all the way up to 8GB. For various reasons, though, I think few games will even surpass 1GB, due to nature of most DS games. Most of the games announced are either ports of N64 titles(32MBish in their original form), or other titles like Puzzle Bobble or Nintendogs.

And the Mini Blu-Ray speculation is only an early estimate, not an official statement. I will, of course, wait and see what this is all about, but I still stand by optical media and Blu-Ray as a larger medium.

Avatar image for darth-pyschosis
darth-pyschosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 darth-pyschosis
Member since 2006 • 9322 Posts

[QUOTE="Crystal-Rush"]Actually the 3DS 2GB flash card news that is going around is for storage like pictures, game saves, virtual console and other stuff NOT FOR 3DS GAMES. For actual 3DS games the 3DS will use 8GB rom cards with the option of increasing size later on, this is fact. Although rom and flash are more expensive in production, they are the better alternative because they dont suffer any of the flaws that blu ray offers. I stand firm in saying that if PSP2 does have a blu ray type drive, it wont be any better and there are better options for Sony.

Granpire

I`ve just read an article that confirms that 8GB is the maximum, not the minimum. http://3ds.nintendolife.com/news/2010/12/3ds_game_cards_could_reach_a_mighty_8gb

The cards will start at 1GB and range all the way up to 8GB. For various reasons, though, I think few games will even surpass 1GB, due to nature of most DS games. Most of the games announced are either ports of N64 titles(32MBish in their original form), or other titles like Puzzle Bobble or Nintendogs.

And the Mini Blu-Ray speculation is only an early estimate, not an official statement. I will, of course, wait and see what this is all about, but I still stand by optical media and Blu-Ray as a larger medium.

Well as far as MGS3 3D, its probably going to take up a lot of that 8GB available with its video cut scenes

on topic: Plz no spinning drives in portable devices.

Avatar image for deactivated-64ba3ebd35404
deactivated-64ba3ebd35404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#15 deactivated-64ba3ebd35404
Member since 2004 • 7590 Posts

[QUOTE="Granpire"]

[QUOTE="Crystal-Rush"]Actually the 3DS 2GB flash card news that is going around is for storage like pictures, game saves, virtual console and other stuff NOT FOR 3DS GAMES. For actual 3DS games the 3DS will use 8GB rom cards with the option of increasing size later on, this is fact. Although rom and flash are more expensive in production, they are the better alternative because they dont suffer any of the flaws that blu ray offers. I stand firm in saying that if PSP2 does have a blu ray type drive, it wont be any better and there are better options for Sony.

darth-pyschosis

Well as far as MGS3 3D, its probably going to take up a lot of that 8GB available with its video cut scenes

on topic: Plz no spinning drives in portable devices.

Why would it? They fit it on a DVD for the PS2, I doubt they would need THAT much extra space for 3D versions of the videos...
Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#16 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

That could be possible. That would be expensive should Sony do that. or they have found a way to extend battery life?It would be more likely Sony would use a high storage SD card format. PSP 2 games are supposed to bereaching PS3 standards. A mini blu ray could do that. a modified SD format would be more cost effective.

Sony hasn't been known for cost effective solutions. January 27th is next week So we will soon see what does PSP 2 offers.

2 analog nubs this time Sony?