PSP to PSV transfer fees????

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 0

#1 Coolyfett
Member since 2008 • 6276 Posts

What the heck is this about???

http://www.gamespot.com/news/sony-details-vita-game-transfer-fees-6345158?tag=updates%3Beditor%3Ball%3Btitle%3B1

Who is this feature for exactly? Is it for gamers that refuse to let the UMD go or it for ever PSP gamer including people who are completely digital?

Murj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#2 Murj
Member since 2008 • 4557 Posts

Some people have favourite PSP games which they'll want to play on the PSV. I know I've got at least one. Sony's saying if you want to play your old games on the PSV, you'll need to buy them again. The only discount you'll get is if you can somehow prove that you have the UMD version of the game. I don't understand how it benefits their main fanbase really.

digimonkey12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 digimonkey12
Member since 2009 • 1851 Posts
Good News ;o) for those who want to play their PSP games on the PSVITA.
tjricardo089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 tjricardo089
Member since 2010 • 7429 Posts

Every single PSP game is available to download on the PSV? If so, then this could be a must-buy.

savebattery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 savebattery
Member since 2009 • 3626 Posts
Of course Sony would find a way to charge people for games they already bought...
logicalfrank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 96

#6 logicalfrank
Member since 2011 • 1686 Posts

Well, given the choice between this tranfer fee/discount price for games I own on UMD and having to pay full price for a download, I prefer the discount. Honestly, if it's reasonable, I will probably transfer some favorites to my Vita.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18831 Posts
I'll just keep my 3000.
worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

Of course Sony would find a way to charge people for games they already bought...savebattery

Yeah. Sorta like, say, Nintendo selling old games through the Wii Shop. You may have bought these games 20 years ago, but if you want to play them on the Wii you gotta buy them again.

Pvt_r3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Pvt_r3d
Member since 2006 • 7901 Posts
Something like this is expected and if you guys don't know yet, the discount will bring most games to $2-20 supposedly. Fine with me. If it means I get to play an action game with a better screen and dual analog sticks for only $5 than I'll be happy.
digimonkey12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 digimonkey12
Member since 2009 • 1851 Posts

People act as Sony Playstation is greedy, when they are not given free games from the company.

Tell me, which major game company has given you free games to, play on a new system ? simply because you own the game on a different format, for a different system ?

Backwards compatibility using your UMD´s is a luxury. for the simple fact that PSVITA does not use UMD´s. The fact that Sony made this possible for a small fee, instead of just making you buy the game again, for a full price through PSN, makes it a very sweet deal.

It is not an open game license . Permission to copy, and redistribute will cost, because so many people are involved. Some games will even have to modified, for you to use the second analog on the PSVITA.

Gamers need to use logic sometimes.

rickliao

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 rickliao
Member since 2007 • 60 Posts

People act as Sony Playstation is greedy, when they are not given free games from the company.

Tell me, which major game company has given you free games to, play on a new system ? simply because you own the game on a different format, for a different system ?

Backwards compatibility using your UMD´s is a luxury. for the simple fact that PSVITA does not use UMD´s. The fact that Sony made this possible for a small fee, instead of just making you buy the game again, for a full price through PSN, makes it a very sweet deal.

It is not an open game license . Permission to copy, and redistribute will cost, because so many people are involved. Some games will even have to modified, for you to use the second analog on the PSVITA.

Gamers need to use logic sometimes.

digimonkey12

Nintendo selling old games through the Wii Shop. You may have bought these games 20 years ago, but if you want to play them on the Wii you gotta buy them again.

redman100111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#13 redman100111
Member since 2006 • 533 Posts

Does anyone know if this includes digitally bought games from the PSN Store? Because I would hate to have to rebuy them games just to play on the PSV lmao.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts
I don't have a PSP so this doesn't effect me. But if I did, I would just keep it to play my UMD games instead of paying for my games a second time just to play them on my Vita.[QUOTE="Pvt_r3d"]Something like this is expected and if you guys don't know yet, the discount will bring most games to $2-20 supposedly. Fine with me. If it means I get to play an action game with a better screen and dual analog sticks for only $5 than I'll be happy.

lol who gives a crap that the Vita has a second analog stick when it comes to PSP games. It's not like the PSP games are made to support that second analog stick.
Avatar image for finalserenade75
finalserenade75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 finalserenade75
Member since 2009 • 2162 Posts

Does anyone know if this includes digitally bought games from the PSN Store? Because I would hate to have to rebuy them games just to play on the PSV lmao.

redman100111

No, you get to keep those. But they can only be activated on 2 systems, so keep that in mind.

tjricardo089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 tjricardo089
Member since 2010 • 7429 Posts

Let me see if I get this straight.

I have a PSP game and I want to keep playing it on PSVita so I download an authenticator to boot the UMD of the PSP and then transfer it to VITA. Can I do that with any PSP game? Quite a way to keep backward compatibility I have to say,

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 PSP107

Let me see if I get this straight.

I have a PSP game and I want to keep playing it on PSVita so I download an authenticator to boot the UMD of the PSP and then transfer it to VITA. Can I do that with any PSP game? Quite a way to keep backward compatibility I have to say,

tjricardo089

I wonder does it work for UMD movies.

lazyathew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 lazyathew
Member since 2007 • 3748 Posts

This actually does bug me a bit more thenwhat Nintendo does with VC, and what Sony themsleves did with PSone classics. Even though it gives us a discount, unlike the services I mentioned.

It's because they are actually taking the effort to recognise we already own the games, and charging us again for them. The services mentioned above are only bringing the games to the new system, and charging an adaquate price. But not really bothering to make an effort to recognise the people who already own them. It would be a nice thing to do, but they don't really have to. And if we have GCN or PSone discs, we can still play them on the Wii or PS3.

With the Vita here, they recognise that we own the game, so it just seems stupid to still have to pay just to play the same game on the Vita. Especially since the experience will pretty much be the same. Since they are both portable systems with the same shape.

Kaze_no_Mirai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Kaze_no_Mirai
Member since 2004 • 11763 Posts

[QUOTE="savebattery"]Of course Sony would find a way to charge people for games they already bought...worlock77

Yeah. Sorta like, say, Nintendo selling old games through the Wii Shop. You may have bought these games 20 years ago, but if you want to play them on the Wii you gotta buy them again.

You know comments like that can start problems :? No one had mentioned Nintendo. Thats how you start flame wars.
soulless4now

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#20 soulless4now
Member since 2003 • 41388 Posts

And this is why I'm going to just keep my psp. It would be silly of me to rebuy games I already own that came out within the last decade.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 PSP107
[QUOTE="Kaze_no_Mirai"][QUOTE="worlock77"]

Of course Sony would find a way to charge people for games they already bought...savebattery

You know comments like that can start problems :? No one had mentioned Nintendo. Thats how you start flame wars.

Thats not a fair comparision because going into the Wii reveal, who still had their NES/SNES etc collection? Lazyathew mentioned that most PSP 1/2/3000 owners still have a good number of UMDs around so thats why its seems odd people have to buy games they already own.
DerekLoffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

#22 DerekLoffin
Member since 2002 • 9095 Posts

This actually does bug me a bit more thenwhat Nintendo does with VC, and what Sony themsleves did with PSone classics. Even though it gives us a discount, unlike the services I mentioned.

It's because they are actually taking the effort to recognise we already own the games, and charging us again for them. The services mentioned above are only bringing the games to the new system, and charging an adaquate price. But not really bothering to make an effort to recognise the people who already own them. It would be a nice thing to do, but they don't really have to. And if we have GCN or PSone discs, we can still play them on the Wii or PS3.

With the Vita here, they recognise that we own the game, so it just seems stupid to still have to pay just to play the same game on the Vita. Especially since the experience will pretty much be the same. Since they are both portable systems with the same shape.

lazyathew
No. This is a common mistake, but that is not what they are recognizing, and why they can't give them out for free. What they are recognizing is that you merely have possession of a game disc (not that you own it). There is no unique identifier of a UMD, so as soon as you get the discount, you can easily the UMD to your buddy and he'll get the discount too, and you can keep doing this. With a discount only, that's acceptable, with a free download, it isn't acceptable and hence why they aren't doing it. You also have to remember PSP has been completely cracked so even this level of verification probably will be defeated meaning people won't even need the UMD.
mystery1932

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23 mystery1932
Member since 2006 • 215 Posts

While the cheap skate in me wishes that this was a free service, I do understand that this is in fact a service that Sony is providing. Frankly, I'm surprised that there is a discount at all. Hell, I'm surprised Sony even bothered to invest in an UMD tranfer system in Vita. I for one, will be taking advantage of this for pretty much all of my games. I do think 13 to 31 bucks is expensive; I would rather it be more like $1 to $5 or, half off the price of digital version.

It doesnt matter anyway. 2 hours after this new software is released, it will be cracked, and exploited and people will do it all for free anyway...