PSP Slim and lite or PSP 3000?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jsfarthing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 jsfarthing
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

Right, im in a sort of dilemma. I can either buy the psp slim and lite for £107.99 or the psp 3000 for £139.99. Which one should i get? Is the 3000 really worth the extra £32? Please can you tell me if there are any good benefits from having psp 3000.

thanks

btw, the built in mic really doesn't bother me

Koalakommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Koalakommander
Member since 2006 • 5462 Posts

Right, im in a sort of dilemma. I can either buy the psp slim and lite for £107.99 or the psp 3000 for £139.99. Which one should i get? Is the 3000 really worth the extra £32? Please can you tell me if there are any good benefits from having psp 3000.

thanks

jsfarthing

Well, a lot of 2000 owners don't think it's worth the upgrade -- but that's because they already have slims, and that's understandable.

If this is your first PSP, your best choice would be the 3000 because of the improved screen. Personally, I'd feel kind of silly if I bought an older model

YoBrandino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#3 YoBrandino
Member since 2003 • 1546 Posts
I was in the same delima. I'm getting one for the holiday, and I had just assumed that once the 3000 came out that it was all that was available. But then I see that you can still get the 2000 or the 3000. Which really is just kind of stupid to me. I looked into it more, since the 3000 only comes in a bundle in the US and I like the silver better anyways. I was put off at first by some people saying the new screen had issues, but the more I looked into the less that really seemed to be an issue and the screen sounds better and there are a few other features like a mic and better TV output or something. So, I decided to make sure I asked for the 3000 and not the 2000. I'd reccomend doing the same based on my research.
Fredrick2003x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Fredrick2003x
Member since 2005 • 2056 Posts

The only thing PSP 3000 has going for it is the brighter screen, which I really don't know how they managed to get it brighter than Slim on the highest setting... But whatever...

A slim is fine.

FlashCharge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#5 FlashCharge
Member since 2007 • 2239 Posts
There were several issues with the psp 3000's brighter screen that led me to stay away from buying it. I know there are some minor upgrades, to some other features but I do not or would not use them much. The psp 2000 slim that I purchased is one solid handheld device. I have had no problems with it and the graphics are awesome even on the TV. But this is just my personal opinion and experience.
jsfarthing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 jsfarthing
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

hmm well i hear the tv out on 3000 is better. what was the improvement? and is the screen difference worth losing battery life for (since the 3000 has a lower battery life because of the screen)? has there been any improvements on the wifi and internet?

sorry about all the question

thanks

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
Don't be a fool get the older one.. That extra money can get you 2 extra games.. The improvement was unneeded no one ever complained about the screen (other then the fact that it collects finger prints like a mad man, but 3000 didn't fix that..) The 3000 didn't fix any of the problems the 2000 had, and it tried to change things that were unneccesary or the 2000 didn't have to begin with.. Its a rip plain and simple..
Koalakommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Koalakommander
Member since 2006 • 5462 Posts

hmm well i hear the tv out on 3000 is better. what was the improvement? and is the screen difference worth losing battery life for (since the 3000 has a lower battery life because of the screen)? has there been any improvements on the wifi and internet?

sorry about all the question

thanks

jsfarthing
yeah the 3000 can be played a standard television unlike the 2000. The 3000's screen IS an improvement. The scan line issue every keeps warning you about is actually quite ridiculous. Nearly all 3000 owners are happy with their purchase and they say they wouldn't be able to go back to the 2000's screen, Basically, the 3000's has reduced ghosted (a blur effect the older models had), and a brighter and more vibrantly colored picture. there are practically invisible scan lines if you put your face up to the screen (but why would u do that?). so it's up to you, listen to a bunch of haters who dont even have a 3000 -- or decide whether you want to save money on an older psp.
megagene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 megagene
Member since 2005 • 23160 Posts
As an owner of both, I would have to say get the 3000.
yungmonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 yungmonk
Member since 2008 • 98 Posts
i'm having err... was the same problem but i made up my mind, *drum roll* the 3000! i figured whats the point im not buying it for the holidays, plus i can get that ratchet and clank game with it in a pack. do they have a black psp with it or just silver?
megagene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 megagene
Member since 2005 • 23160 Posts

there is silver and black will soon available later.SiKyung

The black R&C bundle has already been out for a little while. I just bought it yesterday from BestBuy.

Tim_Millington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#14 Tim_Millington
Member since 2007 • 1615 Posts
As your a newcomer I would get the PSP 3000.
TruthSeekr01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 TruthSeekr01
Member since 2008 • 29 Posts

Well if you already have a 2000, you don't really need this. But if you don't have any PSP to begin with, I'd suggest you get the 3000.

Additional features (even if you don't mind them!) are:
1. Better screen - despite what you hear on the interlacing issues, this is seriously a better screen.
2. Mic - You might not need it now, but I guess no one was serious about twitter when it first came either. My point is, you never know!
3. Textured surface - comes with a matt finish that's more resistant to fingerprints; the 2000 was a fingerprint magnet.
4. Output to 'normal' TVs - the older one could output only to Flat-screen TVs. This one outputs to CRT as well.

And its not like you get it only in dumb bundles and stuff...this is only the beginning; I'm sure it'll come out in stand-alone pieces as well soon.

YoBrandino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#16 YoBrandino
Member since 2003 • 1546 Posts
If you haven't made up your mind yet, I woudl like to reitterate my previous advise to get the 3000. As others are saying, for those with a 2000 already, its kinda of sill to replace it with a 3000 unecessarily. But, if your coming in new, like myself, go with the newest version. Doesn't sound like there is really anything wrong with it, it just has some minor imporvements. I'm sure you won't regret it, but there's a much muhc higher chance that down the line you would regret getting the older version over the newer...
djzer0101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 djzer0101
Member since 2007 • 39 Posts
PSP 3000 is better
Berlin17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 Berlin17
Member since 2005 • 104 Posts
Get the 3000. It has the improved skreen and a built in mic. I had to buy the mic to talk on skpie and socom and it cost about $22. So I think paying extra for the 300 is worth it.
UnamedThing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 UnamedThing
Member since 2008 • 1761 Posts
[QUOTE="jsfarthing"]

thanks

Koalakommander

Well, a lot of 2000 owners don't think it's worth the upgrade -- but that's because they already have slims, and that's understandable.

If this is your first PSP, your best choice would be the 3000 because of the improved screen. Personally, I'd feel kind of silly if I bought an older model

I would agree with this.
Avatar image for youvebeenhunted
youvebeenhunted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 youvebeenhunted
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
which do u think luks better the red psp 3000 or blue or even black???? i want to get 1 but dont know which colour
Avatar image for HeavyMetalKirby
HeavyMetalKirby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 HeavyMetalKirby
Member since 2010 • 550 Posts
[QUOTE="UnamedThing"][QUOTE="Koalakommander"][QUOTE="jsfarthing"]

thanks

I would agree with this.

yeah the 2000's screen was not that bright and the battery life was not as good as the 3000, but i'm stuck with the 2000 for now. it was my first PSP but i'm thinking to upgrading to the PSP go.
Avatar image for HeavyMetalKirby
HeavyMetalKirby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 HeavyMetalKirby
Member since 2010 • 550 Posts
which do u think luks better the red psp 3000 or blue or even black???? i want to get 1 but dont know which colouryouvebeenhunted
if they have a white or silver version i think those would look really nice. i have a black PSP 2000 but i sometimes wish i has a different color.
ThePerro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#23 ThePerro
Member since 2006 • 3105 Posts

I really enjoy 2D fighters, and own an original 1000 model, so with that said you probably can come to the conclusion that using the Dpad makes Street Fighter Alpha 3 max and other fighting games near impossible to play, thus leaving my analog nub beat up. The good thing about the 2000 and 3000 is that they fixed this issue. I played with the 3000 and I think it's probably a good choice aesthetically, it feels nice to hold, the buttons are good, etc. Some people complain that the 2000 feels cheaply made.

blacktorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#24 blacktorn
Member since 2004 • 8299 Posts
By just typing psp into google u can get a psp around 120 quid easy,and look on youtube for psp 1000,2000 vs 3000 and from my own eye's the psp 3000 screen looks MUCH better than the old models,the colours when compared to the psp 3000 of the old psp's look very dull and discouloured,also apparently the lag is gone in the psp 3000 so i think hands down the psp 3000.
NamelessPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 NamelessPlayer
Member since 2004 • 7729 Posts
As much as people like the PSP-3000's screen, I just can't get over the interlacing. No excuse for it when the prior models don't suffer from it. If you don't notice it, though, good for you. I didn't like the bad response times in my PSP-2000 and other people's PSP-1000s at first, but that just magically disappeared with firmware 5.00 or so somehow-coincidentally around the time the PSP-3000 was released. As for external video, the limitation with the PSP-2000 was that you could only play games on 480p-capable displays (some of which are CRTs, I might add; don't perpetrate the "all CRTs are SD" myth) with the component cables, and even then, the image was letterboxed. Only videos could be played through S-Video or composite. (There's a software workaround for it, but it's beyond the scope of this forum and isn't perfect.) The PSP-3000 can use any interface for anything, videos and games alike, and they're not letterboxed. (I sure hope this didn't require the introduction of interlacing on the main LCD, though.) The PSP-3000 definitely feels more solid overall, though, and the buttons are more likely to have a crisp click to them due to them being newer in general. (My PSP-2000 feels a bit on the mushy side, but I've used other ones with a more solid feel that also seemed to be newer.) I don't think you could go really wrong with either in the end. As long as it's a working PSP that plays games...