Psp potential, WHY DEVELOPERS SUCCCK RIGHT NOW

This topic is locked from further discussion.

pwn2own

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 pwn2own
Member since 2006 • 65 Posts
OK, after playing a huge amount of games on PSP i am getting mad that the titles that have been comming out have been at such a mediocre quality. We know the PSP can do more, my question is are we ever going to see a game that raises all expectations for future games? ALSO if the PSP has wifi then i think any game that is mutliplayer should have infrastructure online, Ad-hoc is a good idea if every one had a psp, like ppl having ps2,xbox etc....Playing online and being portable is a win win for all psp owners.....Your thoughts?
pwn2own

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 pwn2own
bump!
FoShizzle17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#3 FoShizzle17
Member since 2006 • 2170 Posts
There are so many good titles that are out right now!
pwn2own

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 pwn2own
like?
ColonelWilks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ColonelWilks
Member since 2005 • 3149 Posts
like?pwn2own

-Metal Gear Solid
-Burnout
-Tekken
-GTA
-Daxter
-Ratchet & Clank
-Ace Combat X
-Syphon Filter
-Twisted Metal
-Wipeout: Pure
-Mega Man (both of 'em!)
-Lumines
-Metal Gear Ac!d
-Pirates!
-Killzone: Liberation
-S.O.C.O.M.

Is that enough?

team_KORSAKOFF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 team_KORSAKOFF
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
OK, after playing a huge amount of games on PSP i am getting mad that the titles that have been comming out have been at such a mediocre quality. We know the PSP can do more, my question is are we ever going to see a game that raises all expectations for future games? ALSO if the PSP has wifi then i think any game that is mutliplayer should have infrastructure online, Ad-hoc is a good idea if every one had a psp, like ppl having ps2,xbox etc....Playing online and being portable is a win win for all psp owners.....Your thoughts?pwn2own
I couldnt agree more with your comment on the the dismal quality of psp games. Are they putting all their efforts and money to compete with the XBOX 360??? I think so, sony have stuffed up big time, they are not in touch with the user nor do they have the support of game developers behind them. As for playing online being portable, that is the best idea regarding the psp ive heard in ages. If only a sony worker was reading this thread right now :(
zakkro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 zakkro
Member since 2004 • 48823 Posts
There are tons of good games, maybe not killer apps, but there are a lot. They just go unnoticed when a new Mario game comes out...
ColonelWilks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ColonelWilks
Member since 2005 • 3149 Posts
There are tons of good games, maybe not killer apps, but there are a lot. They just go unnoticed when a new Mario game comes out...zakkro

A 3 hour Mario game that goes multi-platinum, at that.
Avatar image for Sanjuro_Satsuma
Sanjuro_Satsuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 Sanjuro_Satsuma
Member since 2003 • 77 Posts
I don't have a modded PSP, I buy my UMDs, but I will make a comment on game size...After looking on various websites, the ones that show what pirated games are released, I found that most PSP game images don't even hit the 1 GB mark, so clearly there's a lot of room for improvement...for more quality content, like textures, shadows, sounds,  in-game movies, game modes, etc. I guess none of those can compete with the lack of imagination and/or effort.
My complaint about games is that they lack proper lighting and shadows...Daxter has them and that is one gorgeuse looking game, so does Twisted Metal Head On, why can't they all have them? X-Men Legends 2 has some blobs instead of shadows, same goes with GTA and so on (I'm only talking about the games I own, only 4 at the moment). I'm not asking for some advanced lighting and shadowing techniques like dinamic shadows, normal mapping or stuff like that, just a nice light and a detailed shadow of the character... It's obvious that the PSP can handle nicer lighting, more detailed shadows and sharper textures than what we've seen so far...but the devs are lazy and rush everything and they make up excuses about the hardware...Also, most games don't even run at the chip's full potential (333 mhz), they only run in the 200s...
I like gameplay to be complemented by something beautiful to look at, but unfortunately only a handful of games satisfy these normal needs...
Because in Romania PSP games are priced at over 60 USD 'cause of big taxes (yeah, I know!) I buy my games from Australian (dvdcrave) and Chinese(play-asia) sites and I have to wait a month before they come to my door, I want more quality in games and I'm really sad about the fact that things can be a lot better, but are not...Maybe I can buy some hope, I'm starting to lose mine.

gamenux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 gamenux
Member since 2006 • 5308 Posts
OK, after playing a huge amount of games on PSP i am getting mad that the titles that have been comming out have been at such a mediocre quality. We know the PSP can do more, my question is are we ever going to see a game that raises all expectations for future games? ALSO if the PSP has wifi then i think any game that is mutliplayer should have infrastructure online, Ad-hoc is a good idea if every one had a psp, like ppl having ps2,xbox etc....Playing online and being portable is a win win for all psp owners.....Your thoughts?pwn2own
Did you bother to check if there is? Cause I see lots of great games out on psp. I am playing medal of Honor Heroes, I am a pc gamer mostly. Wow, it is amazing what they achieve on the psp in MOH:Heroes. For multiplayer, MGSPO and i think also Marvel Ultimate Alliance has it too..
pwn2own

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 pwn2own
Ok i own tony hawk, coded arms, MOH, burnout, starwars battlefront, twisted metal, dead to rights, shin budakai, gradius, both gta's, wipe out, and monster hunter, sure some of these games were GOOD but nothing more than that. Even most of them were scaled down ports. Now don't get me wrong on gameplay , because allot of the games i have are fun to play but as far as quality i am not impressed, just because its good enough to play doesn't mean that they couldn't have add a little time and polished the game up. And as far as MOH is concerned its good but i'm used to a much more fast paced fps... although they have set the bar for online as well as socom and syphon filter but COME ON just think if gta had 6player online infrastructure or any fighting game like streetfighter/dbz/mortalkombat!!!! Im just saying use the DAMN POTENTIAL, look at cpu games, Dev's constantly try to max out the video and memory allocations, at least one game will push the limits every season.... maybe one day sony will crack the whip.
joeychew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 joeychew
Member since 2003 • 4580 Posts
Metal gear, Daxter, Burnout, Ratchet,killzone are not medicore at all...
viberooni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#13 viberooni
Member since 2003 • 1396 Posts

[QUOTE="pwn2own"]like?ColonelWilks

-Metal Gear Solid
-Burnout
-Tekken
-GTA
-Daxter
-Ratchet & Clank
-Ace Combat X
-Syphon Filter
-Twisted Metal
-Mega Man (both of 'em!)
-Lumines
-Metal Gear Ac!d
-Pirates!
-S.O.C.O.M.

Is that enough?

I see a whole lot of ports and console rehashes on that list.

I don't think the problem is a lack of good games, it's that we're approaching 2 years since release and the system is still full of unrealized potential. Unfortunately it's just not a priority for the major publishers to finance original, interesting content solely for the PSP. The lack of great online play in most games is inexcusable, the PSP is an amazing handheld for multiplayer.

Yes there's fun to be had but developers do suck for not delivering more big budget, high concept offerings for PSP from their top studios. We deserve better than portable versions of what we were playing on the PS2 in 2005.
nevereathim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 nevereathim
Member since 2006 • 2161 Posts
Damn, look at the bright side, ITS BETTER THAN THE DS
zhino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 zhino
Member since 2005 • 222 Posts

[QUOTE="zakkro"]There are tons of good games, maybe not killer apps, but there are a lot. They just go unnoticed when a new Mario game comes out...ColonelWilks

A 3 hour Mario game that goes multi-platinum, at that.

hahahhahaha so true ..the only long marios are 64 and super mario world

THE_PSP_MAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 THE_PSP_MAN
Member since 2007 • 293 Posts
[QUOTE="ColonelWilks"][QUOTE="pwn2own"]like?viberooni

-Metal Gear Solid
-Burnout
-Tekken
-GTA
-Daxter
-Ratchet & Clank
-Ace Combat X
-Syphon Filter
-Twisted Metal
-Mega Man (both of 'em!)
-Lumines
-Metal Gear Ac!d
-Pirates!
-S.O.C.O.M.

Is that enough?

I see a whole lot of ports and console rehashes on that list.

I don't think the problem is a lack of good games, it's that we're approaching 2 years since release and the system is still full of unrealized potential. Unfortunately it's just not a priority for the major publishers to finance original, interesting content solely for the PSP. The lack of great online play in most games is inexcusable, the PSP is an amazing handheld for multiplayer.

Yes there's fun to be had but developers do suck for not delivering more big budget, high concept offerings for PSP from their top studios. We deserve better than portable versions of what we were playing on the PS2 in 2005.

so...? i dont mind console ports cuz i dont have any next gen consoles. i want graw2 on psp and oblivion
FoShizzle17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#17 FoShizzle17
Member since 2006 • 2170 Posts
most of the games on that list aren't ports. both GTA's were origanilly on the PSP. Lumines isn't a port. neither is MGS, Socom, Burnout, Killzone, daxter, syphon filter, ratchet & clank, etc.
viberooni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 viberooni
Maybe not direct ports, but besides Lumines, Metal Gear Acid and Mega Man, every game on that list is a variation on a title you could play on the PS2 years ago with graphical compromises and inferior control.

Now it's great that we have a nice library of console hits to play on the go, and if that's all you want out of the system there's nothing wrong with that one bit, hell I'm a big fan of a handful of those games. But if you think that the majority of developers aren't being lazy with PSP development, you've really got your fanboy blinders on.
pherstothelee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#19 pherstothelee
Member since 2006 • 34 Posts
Yeah, I'm disappointed with the poor quality of the games released already on the PSP as well. The only really good games that I own would be Killzone: Liberation, Medal of Honor: Heroes, Daxter, and Hot Shots Golf: Open Tee. Do you see a connection between those four games? I see four unoriginal console rehashes of really good games before, which makes me angry because we really need some original games out on the PSP. Right now, I'm really looking foward to Crush, GRAW 2, Oblivion, and Ratchet & Clank. (hasn't come out across the pond yet...)
gearsfan23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 gearsfan23
Member since 2006 • 180 Posts

Ad-hoc in my school classes is great. More games with better quality would be very nice, not many games are worth buying etc.

pwn2own

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 pwn2own
Good to know that there are some ppl like me on here who agree the psp is lacking in potential, i'm just tired of reading posts about kids and if they should get a psp, or what's on the psp that makes it worth buying. But do you guys think any of this will change by much before the next 2-5 yrs pass and a new better looking portable unit comes out?
qewrewq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 qewrewq
Member since 2004 • 1274 Posts
[QUOTE="pwn2own"]Good to know that there are some ppl like me on here who agree the psp is lacking in potential, i'm just tired of reading posts about kids and if they should get a psp, or what's on the psp that makes it worth buying. But do you guys think any of this will change by much before the next 2-5 yrs pass and a new better looking portable unit comes out?

Lacking in potential? Not realy..look at all the games coming out for it this year. plus it has some realy good games that are already out.
DevinB9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 DevinB9
Member since 2007 • 498 Posts
My thought exactley.  I think the psp has a nice libary, and there are good games to look forward to this year.
Avatar image for FrenziedRaldo24
FrenziedRaldo24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 FrenziedRaldo24
Member since 2005 • 9054 Posts
Indeed, because the recent stream of games like Pirates, The Warriors, R&C, Chili Con Carnage, and Grumin are all piss-poor...
Asim90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Asim90
Member since 2005 • 3692 Posts

Indeed, because the recent stream of games like Pirates, The Warriors, R&C, Chili Con Carnage, and Grumin are all piss-poor...FrenziedRaldo24

R&C is piss poor? Seriously?! It got great reviews and I've been a fan of the series since the start and was gonna pick it up tomorrow. What made it so bad?

qewrewq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 qewrewq
Member since 2004 • 1274 Posts

[QUOTE="FrenziedRaldo24"]Indeed, because the recent stream of games like Pirates, The Warriors, R&C, Chili Con Carnage, and Grumin are all piss-poor...Asim90

R&C is piss poor? Seriously?! It got great reviews and I've been a fan of the series since the start and was gonna pick it up tomorrow. What made it so bad?

I think he forgot to type "/sarcasm" at the end of his post.
pwn2own

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 pwn2own
Once again i'm not saying that the games out are not good, i am saying that they should've been polished up and using the full psp, not just here and there. And out of games like Pirates, The Warriors, R&C, Chili Con Carnage, and Grumin, the only ones that "may" be up to a lvl of goodness would be Ratchet and Clank. but look at Daxter... it was good for similar reasons....
B-bad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#28 B-bad
Member since 2002 • 5705 Posts
the greatest game on the PSP that doesn't get the full credit it's due is Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror. Sure there have been SF games on the PS1 and PS2 but the PSP version is by far the greatest of them. Everything that makes a game great is here Graphics, Story, Gameplay, Extras, Multi-Player is done here and stands as a real show piece of what the PSP can do when a game is developed with the hardware in mind. Sure the PSP has alot in common with ps2 .......... it's a Sony console what do you expect them to do. They already said from the beginning that they be being Sony game to the portable. People dont give the great games the credit they are due, Pirates, The Warriors, Ratchet and Clank,Grumin, Metal Gear Solid, Tekken, Burnout, Wipe-out, Daxter are really some great games to just call them good is really understating the value of them. Sure we want all PSP games to have online play but if games dont have a strong single player experience what good are they, Wi-fi infrastructure play is only good if there an access point near you and you stay within range of that access point. Ad-hoc play means you can travel around with friend and still have a match. The main problem with the PSP is the negative image it has and this is mostly caused by the media who spend this image of the PSP as a port station with no original content. But there are all types of games PSP yeah sure there are port and remakes but there are also original games too, Loco Roco, Kingdom of Paradise, Monster Kingdom, Gurumin, Lumines, Field Commander. Sure there are things that could be done to make the PSP better, but as it stands the PSP not that bad and there is much to be happy with and enjoy.
tazzydnc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#29 tazzydnc
Member since 2006 • 3874 Posts
there are tons of good titles out but yea they are definately slacking on the online.
curp11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 curp11
Member since 2005 • 405 Posts

[QUOTE="pwn2own"]like?ColonelWilks

-Metal Gear Solid
-Burnout
-Tekken
-GTA
-Daxter
-Ratchet & Clank
-Ace Combat X
-Syphon Filter
-Twisted Metal
-Mega Man (both of 'em!)
-Lumines
-Metal Gear Ac!d
-Pirates!
-S.O.C.O.M.

Is that enough?

poor sheep has got owned

RIDGE RACER 2 ROCKS

damann22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 damann22
Member since 2004 • 7655 Posts

Yeah I understand what you and everyone else on this thread is saying.  The psp has so much potential (there's an infrared sensor that really needs to be utilize).  I think that only 10% use their psp's to the fullest, which means using the RSS feed, music, video, pictures, games, buying umd movies, and other software.  Yes I know that very Very few developers use all 1.8 gbs of the umd, but with the lack of sales they rather just put out a quick game and not care about quality.  300 March for glory is a perfect example of that.  The developers didnt have time to put a game on the next-gen consoles so they went with the psp, which isnt a bad choice, developers dont have to work much to make a game with it. 

What developers should start doing is make excluses for the psp.  Lumines and Loco Roco are great in the fact that they are only for the psp, also they are great games.  If more developers just use all 1.8 gbs then the games would be better and more people would buy them. 

stressford

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 stressford
Member since 2004 • 126 Posts

The PSP may never get that "game" that everyone is looking for. For one thing everyone has a different opinion of what the greatest game they have ever played is to begin with. I think that most gamers forget that it cost money to make games. They would have to pay a dedicated development team to do this. In the end would have to charge a lot of money for the end product. As we all know just about every corp. is greedy. They know we are stupid enough to pay top dollar on something we already own. They don't want to risk any amount of money on something that could be a hit or miss. They want to make money or if they can at least break even. Just about every game that has been only made for the PSP has been met with mediocre reviews with the exception of Daxter and a few others. That's why we get re-releases of games that we have played before with tweaked graphics or games that my have never made to the states. They re-sell us names and titles that they know will sell and that we like. The other problem is "us" the consumers. We would rather take the chance and lay our cash or parents cash on something we recognize. Do I want to buy Mega Man that I have played and purchased on every system that it has been re-released on for 50 bucks? or do I want to spend the money on a game called GAME the GREATEST GAME you'll ever play for 50 bucks? I'll buy mega man. I like that series even though I have played it 10 time before. 50 bucks is way to much for something I haven't played yet. Only to find out that the game you passed up on was the only the biggest sleeper hit of the year and if you want it now you will have to pay 200 for it on ebay. Now the development team has been disbanded and the game is now out of print and was on a limited run just to see how well it would sell. The other problem we the consumers have is that the PSP is portable. Sony sold us a portable media device not a portable gaming device. Sony never said that this was only a gaming system. They sold us on the fact we could watch movies, listen to music, surf the net and last but not least play games. In my opinion if I was using my PSP for just gaming then I would be disappointed. But I'm not, I use it to listen to music, watch movies, tv shows and surf the net. I find that I use the system for just about everything else more than gaming. You can just about always find a wireless connection home, work, hotels and malls. Musics a no-brainer. The problem with movies is that we are all lazy. "I don't want to spend 20 bucks on a movie that I could buy for my home DVD player". I don't blame you. But, wheres the logic in that? your more than willing to pay 50 bucks on a game you already own! or better yet "I have to convert it and that takes to long" or "I have to buy a bigger memory stick! thats stupid" all these things are a must to truly get the most out of your PSP. I have over 50 PSP games and they have all been what I have expected some even far better than I thought. I also own a DS, PS3 and Wii and I'm happy with them all. 

DevinB9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 DevinB9

Just about every game that has been only made for the PSP has been met with mediocre reviews with the exception of Daxter

stressford

Yeeeaaah.  To say such a false statment, I don't think you have read any reviews.
viberooni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 viberooni
I think that most gamers forget that it cost money to make games. They would have to pay a dedicated development team to do this. In the end would have to charge a lot of money for the end product. As we all know just about every corp. is greedy. They know we are stupid enough to pay top dollar on something we already own. They don't want to risk any amount of money on something that could be a hit or miss. They want to make money or if they can at least break even. Just about every game that has been only made for the PSP has been met with mediocre reviews with the exception of Daxter. That's why we get re-releases of games that we have played before with tweaked graphics or games that my have never made to the states. stressford
While some of that rant was a bit over the top, I do agree with your main points. It's a proven and sound business model for developers to view the PSP as PS2 round 2. It requires less R&D, less financial burden, less effort and ultimately greater income. You can bet there's plenty of Tose employees that really know their way around the PSP. We as consumers validate the strategy partially because we are familiar with the brands but also because it's not like we have much of a choice. In my mind, Lumines (and the sequel) remains PSP's greatest gift to gaming, and that was a launch title.

The PSP was designed as a media device just as much as it was a gaming machine, as you mentioned, but that doesn't excuse developers from not diving in head first. It's selling well so any concerns about long term success should be silenced by now. What Sony needs to do and to some extent already started doing is lead the charge with original software from their AAA in-house teams. At the same time they must go out of their way to sell the platform to developers as being worthy of exclusives, new ideas, and top talent that would normally be reserved for the consoles instead of just side stories, ports, or watered down sequels. Ideas like Crush or the wireless aspect of Portable Ops give me hope for the future. It's likely we'll really see the PSP come into it's own in the next few years with increased media functionality, downloadable software, PS3 integration and original content. But it largely depends on Sony and their strategy for ensuring the PSP's success over the next few years.
stressford

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 stressford
[QUOTE="stressford"]

Just about every game that has been only made for the PSP has been met with mediocre reviews with the exception of Daxter

DevinB9

Yeeeaaah.  To say such a false statment, I don't think you have read any reviews.

Do you even read the reviews? Just looking at the reviews on this site alone for PSP games. Out of the 5 games to receive a score in the 9's only one was a new title (lumines). Im sure your really happy with the Death jr. series. There are a lot of games with scores in the 8's but far more with 7 or below.
stressford

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 stressford

I know it was a bit of a rant. But Im just glad to see some people talk about something other than show me a picture of your games or why should I keep my psp.

DevinB9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 DevinB9
I don't really trust reviews.  Just because one person says a game is 7, it's automatically mediocre? 
stressford

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 stressford
I don't really trust reviews.  Just because one person says a game is 7, it's automatically mediocre? DevinB9
I agree with you. But the fact of the matter is that most people rely on those reviews to make a purchase. It just seems that most of the people that complain about the lack of good games are those that rely on other peoples opinion. I didnt mean it as an attack towards you. Im just glad I got someone to talk about something other than a picture of their games and system.
AP_Nataku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#39 AP_Nataku
Member since 2004 • 937 Posts
[QUOTE="stressford"]

DevinB9

Metal Gear Solid Portable OPs. A perfect example for PSP isn't it?
A7Xfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#40 A7Xfan
Member since 2004 • 3962 Posts
well looking at what has come out over the past 5 months there's certainly a few great titles. Currently I'm playing through Syphon Filter and that game is as fully featured as almost any game ive ever played. I don't see a shortage of great games at all.
stubby_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 stubby_01
Member since 2005 • 2731 Posts
I don't care what anybody else says or thinks about the PSP, because I love mine heaps and heaps... I'm working towards building a collection of games and UMD movies...
pwn2own

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 pwn2own
Hey same here, but i want the games that are coming out to be a step up from previous games, like look at what the psx could do after it was out for a couple of years compared to launch titles, same goes for ps2... When are the PSP gonna get stepped up?