PSP Cleaning: Removing Stuck Screws

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SharinganEye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SharinganEye
Member since 2004 • 3605 Posts
Here's my situation. I bought a used PSP from my friend for $100 several weeks ago. It's in great condition; minor "fingernail" scratches on the screen is about the worst of it. In fact, it's a launch PSP, and it's kicking fine, and even more surprising is that it has no dead or stuck pixels whatsoever. But... there is one thing driving me crazy.

Dust under the screen. There is quite a bit of dust under the PSP screen, and it's driving me crazy. So decided to open it up, warranty being void and all. I bought myself a brand new precision toolkit with a #0 Philips screwdriver and a 1.4mm flat head screwdriver included. I also went out and bought a can of "compressed air," or air duster, whatever it's called.

So I went to work on removing the crews so I can take off the faceplate. To my surprise, the screws wouldn't freaking budge. At all. The one on the bottom of the PSP came off relatively easy, and with some difficulty, I got another one off (top right underneath the battery), but none of the others would turn at all no matter how much strength I put behind them. It seems like the screws are stuck fast due to some rust or a build-up of something orange.

Now the top left screw underneath the battery is almost stripped, and no other screw will move. I'm afraid I'll strip the other ones if I'm not careful.

So... what next? How the hell do I get these screws off? Do I use a soldering iron or an impact screwdriver?
MgunHunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 MgunHunter
Member since 2004 • 504 Posts

I believe its a substance called threadlock or loctite. If you run a few searches on google you might find a solution to get past it.

kimbokasteniv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 kimbokasteniv
Member since 2004 • 3892 Posts
When I took apart my psp I also experienced extremely tight screws. So what I had to do was take some pliers and use them to hold the screw driver. Keep the pliers tight with your fingers, and press the screw driver down with your palm. I'm not really sure how to explain the position I had my hand in but, if you achieve those two things then I'm pretty sure your holding it the same way I was. By doing that I found it very easy to remove the screws. Maybe that will help.
SharinganEye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SharinganEye
Member since 2004 • 3605 Posts
Thanks for the replies so far. I've heard of loctite, but I'm not sure if it's applied to the PSP screws. It's definitely worth checking out though. As for the plier + screwdriver. I think I know what you're talking about. I've tried it before, but not really that well, so I'll give it another go. Other methods I've tried so far was to heat the screwdriver head using a lighter and then trying to turn the screws, and putting the screwdriver firmly in the screw then hammering down on the screwdriver to try to loosen the screws (pseudo-impact screwdriver method). So far, they haven't worked too well. How effective would putting a soldering iron to the head of the screw for a few seconds to expand it be?
Avatar image for htownallstar555
htownallstar555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 htownallstar555
Member since 2006 • 172 Posts
Have you taking your PSP apart yet if you did how
fynne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 fynne
Member since 2002 • 8078 Posts

Have you taking your PSP apart yet if you did how htownallstar555

There is a guide on www.pspcrazy.com in their tutorial section. It missed the screw on the middle edge of the PSP though so remember to pop that before you start prying.

You're problem with the stuck screws is weird. I've taken my PSP apart and the screws turned easily.

deathgrape

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deathgrape
Member since 2006 • 35 Posts
If you absolutely can't get the screw out, you can get a special screwdriver that will remove stripped screws. It will get the screw out, but you may need to get a new screw, on account of it being stripped so it'll be slightly harder to be put back in.
mssf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 mssf
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

lol this forum is from 2007 and it 2009 right now but anyway i wanted to tell you if you still needed help theres a way you can use super clue to get it out. all you do is but super glue on paper quickkly put on screwdriver tip and then on screw tip let it dry so screwdriver is stuck in screw and just unscrew it shudnt strip it since the screwdriver is stuck in one position on the screw. i found it of a website so credits arent fully to me.(of of yahoo answers) here link to that website: http://www.answers.yahoo.com/index?qid=200910182112AAeczV9 :)

mssf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 mssf

sorry made a mistake on website heres the link: http://www.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=200910182112AAeczV9

mssf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 mssf

uggh it doesnt work here do this go to your url type in "Help I can't unscrew my PSP Phat !?" and it should be first one thst has yahoo answers by it,o and i used google search for it.

blacknight06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11 blacknight06
Member since 2006 • 1422 Posts

i broke mine years ago trying to do this.