PSN Cards in Canada - How do they work?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

itrocks4u

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 itrocks4u
Member since 2009 • 37 Posts

Hi,

Since PlayStation Network Cards are now available in Canada, I was wondering if it's a good idea to buy. Basically, I don't want to store my credit card info on PSN Network, but would rather go for a PSN Card ($20 one).

My concerns are related to the experience I had with iTunes cards in Canada. Apparently, you can buy music with it but not apps! I still have a few gift cards sitting at home with no use. So if anyone have used these PSN cards purchased in Canada, will you be able to answer these questions:

1) Can I used the card to purchase anything on the PlayStation Network?

2) Can I only use this card with a Canadian PSN account or will it work with US or UK etc?

3) Is there an expiry to it if there is a balance sitting on it after a year or two? (I know iTunes have something like that)

4) Are there ANY restrictions to the use of it?

Thanks,

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
im pretty sure Canadian PSN store = US PSN store. not sure about UK, probably not.
Denji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 Denji
Member since 2003 • 12757 Posts

Yes, you can buy anything. It's just a "general funds" added to your wallet. Just the same as going to the store and able to buy whatever that store offers.

It's Canadian only (what it says on the legal copy on the back of the card)

As far as I know, it doesn't expire. People have claimed they've had funds in their wallets for months without change. I've had funds for about a month and it was fine.

Unlike the obsessive "Nazi control" with Apple, Sony seems to keep it simple. Buy, add and buy.

lyndonAPI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 lyndonAPI
Member since 2002 • 2794 Posts

Hi,

Since PlayStation Network Cards are now available in Canada, I was wondering if it's a good idea to buy. Basically, I don't want to store my credit card info on PSN Network, but would rather go for a PSN Card ($20 one).

My concerns are related to the experience I had with iTunes cards in Canada. Apparently, you can buy music with it but not apps! I still have a few gift cards sitting at home with no use. So if anyone have used these PSN cards purchased in Canada, will you be able to answer these questions:

1) Can I used the card to purchase anything on the PlayStation Network?

2) Can I only use this card with a Canadian PSN account or will it work with US or UK etc?

3) Is there an expiry to it if there is a balance sitting on it after a year or two? (I know iTunes have something like that)

4) Are there ANY restrictions to the use of it?

Thanks,

itrocks4u
Yes, the money can be used to buy anything from the store. Pretty sure the Canadian cards can only be used with a Canadian account (it has the exact same stuff so not much sense putting it on the US account). The card itself would have an expiry (most likely a year from activation) but the money will not expire once put into your store wallet. As for restrictions, just that it can't be transferred- once it's in the wallet it has to be spent on the store.
G-Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 G-Legend
Member since 2005 • 7387 Posts

What the PSN cards are in canada?! What stores? and what city are you in?

blabbyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 blabbyboy
Member since 2008 • 2614 Posts

G-Legend
Eb games, best buy, future shop. They are in Alberta and i don't know about anywhere else.
Denji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Denji
Member since 2003 • 12757 Posts

G-Legend

Check your local EB

grand17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#8 grand17
Member since 2007 • 2079 Posts
[QUOTE="blabbyboy"][QUOTE="G-Legend"]

Eb games, best buy, future shop. They are in Alberta and i don't know about anywhere else.

they are in bc
grand17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#9 grand17
Member since 2007 • 2079 Posts
it seems obvious that you would NOT be able to use the money on the us or uk store tho. different currency values and such. but the only diff i see between and canada and us is that in canada we cant rent those movies that i keep seeing in the emails psn sends me.
ballsdontlie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ballsdontlie
Member since 2009 • 155 Posts
1. Yes 2. I think only Canadian, but I'm not sure read the back. 3. Perhaps, again I suggest you activate it I know for sure they wont 'deduct' any amount once its on your account. 4. Not to my knowledge, but its a hassle since you dont pay taxes with GC, you pay them when you buy them on PSN. So if you buy a game for 15, for example, it comes out to $17 ... you can't buy a game for $3...but you can for $5 so that's annoying.
av10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 av10
Member since 2006 • 1002 Posts

G-Legend
In Ontario too. Just go to your local eb games or gamestop.
Paladin_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#12 Paladin_King
Member since 2008 • 11832 Posts

Pretty sure that the Canadian cards won't work for other Playstation stores, and DEFINITELY not the UK store. UK DLC is region-encoded and thus will not work with US or Canadian-bought games.