PSA: Do not buy Fatal Frame 2 from PSN, it's broken.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

RandoIphF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 RandoIphF
Member since 2013 • 271 Posts

It has severe audio skipping/stuttering in cutscenes, and textures flicker in the mansions, and sometimes just vanish, ruining the immersion and providing a severe distraction.  Do not recommend a purchase at this time.  SCEA is aware of the problem, but is still advertising and selling the game.

MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 MonkeySpot
Member since 2010 • 6070 Posts

Out of curiosity, did you delete and re-download to make sure you're bringing a proper claim of "broken", before posting? I'm not going to buy it as a DL, because I still have my PS2 version... But it's best not to post that something is broken until you have tried to fix it, and then alerted Sony to the issue to see what they say. Posting here is helpful, but only after you've done some investigation & trouble-shooting.

:)

Thank you for your consideration of fellow gamers, regardless.

happy_dude64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 happy_dude64
Member since 2007 • 994 Posts

Your PS3 is dumb, go redownload it.

locus-solus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 locus-solus  Online
Member since 2013 • 1562 Posts
i have had problems with downloads on psn before mostly being corrupted. there only 1 game that i bought on there that had audio problems Spyro, the Dragon n i didn't try redownloading i might try n c if it makes a difference
RandoIphF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 RandoIphF

Out of curiosity, did you delete and re-download to make sure you're bringing a proper claim of "broken", before posting? I'm not going to buy it as a DL, because I still have my PS2 version... But it's best not to post that something is broken until you have tried to fix it, and then alerted Sony to the issue to see what they say. Posting here is helpful, but only after you've done some investigation & trouble-shooting.

:)

Thank you for your consideration of fellow gamers, regardless.

MonkeySpot
SCEA is aware, the store update blog and forums have discussions on it. Deleting and redownloading does nothing, people with fat PS3's with software emulation claim it was a problem back in the day when they tried to play physical copies on them. Really let down that this got past quality control, I have twenty PSone games and five PS2 classics as well, and this is the only one that doesn't run just as well as it did on the original hardware.
Kravyn81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#6 Kravyn81
Member since 2005 • 9438 Posts
...and this is the only one that doesn't run just as well as it did on the original hardware.RandoIphF
Yet another reason why it's not a bad idea to always keep the original console for the original software it released on.
Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 Pffrbt
Member since 2010 • 6612 Posts

Disappointing. I never got to play Fatal Frame and was looking forward to downloading it.

MrCoolGuy420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 MrCoolGuy420
Member since 2010 • 138 Posts

I purchased a digital copy of fatal frame 2 a couple of days ago, from the PSN, and I'm having the same issues. but only in the first couple of chapters this has happened. and the issues stopped, when I reached chapter 4.I'm now on the final chapter of the game now and everything seems to be running fine although theres still a little audio skipping on some cutscenes. probably because sony ported this game using a scratched up disk copy of the game.

Blazed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Blazed
Member since 2005 • 2947 Posts

Man, that sucks. I really did want this game. Good lookin out TC.

MrCoolGuy420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 MrCoolGuy420

You can still download this game, I assure you that this didn't effect my gameplay one bit.

For 9.99 you can't beat that price, compared to what people are charging on ebay and amazon.com.

80.00 and up for a new copy of fatal frame 2 crimson butterfly. while fatal frame 1 & 3 are going for about 30.00 new, it's rediculous.

Not to mention if you also have to buy another playstation 2 console, just to play your game disk. just imagine how much all of that will cost over paying 9.99

MrCoolGuy420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 MrCoolGuy420
I bought fatal frame 1 & 2 from the PSN store for less than 20.00 and will be getting the third one when it hits the PSN in a couple of weeks. that's 30.00 for all 3 games the same price that you would be paying if you purchase fatal frame 1 or 3 from amazon.com I have to admit while these games have been ported using scratched up used games disks, they're still playable. I miss playing these games and since I sold my old 80.gb ps3 and all of my ps2 games as well I can no longer play via backwards compatibility so these ports are very affordable and convenient for me
RandoIphF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 RandoIphF
[QUOTE="MrCoolGuy420"]I bought fatal frame 1 & 2 from the PSN store for less than 20.00 and will be getting the third one when it hits the PSN in a couple of weeks. that's 30.00 for all 3 games the same price that you would be paying if you purchase fatal frame 1 or 3 from amazon.com I have to admit while these games have been ported using scratched up used games disks, they're still playable. I miss playing these games and since I sold my old 80.gb ps3 and all of my ps2 games as well I can no longer play via backwards compatibility so these ports are very affordable and convenient for me

It's just Fatal Frame 2, and the emulation for it has apparently been busted since the PS3 backwards compatible fat boy systems that used software emulation instead of hardware. They put up a game they knew in advance was poorly emulated. Fatal Frame runs just fine, I have it as well, and Frame 3 will run fine because people with software emulation powered systems reported no issues when playing that game. A survival horror game relies heavily on tension and atmosphere, most times at the direct expense of actually having compelling gameplay. When pieces of that atmosphere are literally vanishing out of existence beneath your feet, the suspension of disbelief is shattered, and all you have left is a game with mediocre controls and not terribly memorable gameplay. I'm glad to hear later chapters are better, but this still remains that absolute worst of the four ways to play this game (PS2 hard copy, PS2 Digital, Original Xbox Directors Cut, and Wii version in Japan), and that really is a shame.
MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 MonkeySpot

So glad I have the entire series on disc... And I paid $2 per. Doing the math, I have $6 invested in the ENTIRE SERIES (in Western Release, that is), they all work perfectly...

:lol:

$10 for a DDL you won't be able to use anywhere but the PS3 it's loaded onto... Whatta SCAM...

:lol:

As PT Barnum used to say... (Google it)

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

As PT Barnum used to say... (Google it)

MonkeySpot

Yeah, he never said that. It was coined by a dude named David Hannum, who was backing a hoax of his own in competition with Barnum. Guess the quote applies here nonetheless.

Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Pffrbt

You can still download this game, I assure you that this didn't effect my gameplay one bit.

MrCoolGuy420

That's nice since no one plays survival horror games for their gameplay.

Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#16 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts
Just Cause 2 has issues.. I've downloaded it twice and it still gives a "disc error" despite it being a digital download.. frustrating.
Gxgear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Gxgear
Member since 2003 • 10425 Posts

Still have my PS2 copies :)

KiriharaZro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 KiriharaZro
Member since 2013 • 326 Posts
That sucks!!! why Tecmo dont give us a HD collection... damn!!! maybe is because Nintendo own the rights.
Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Pffrbt

I wonder if I should buy it for PS2 or Xbox or wait and see if they fix this.

MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 MonkeySpot

Pffrbt

Because Sony is aware of the issue, they will most-likely get it resolved... However... You can pick up an old console and the entire series, play the games perfectly, and not deal with PSN horse-pucky (if they ever even bother to issue the other two in the PS3's lifetime, which is ticking down every day - And those DDLs will not transfer to the new hardware due to difference in hardware architecture & processing, without Sony seriously re-tooling the game for the PS4, which will be low-priority, if they do it at all), and be able to play them, lend them to friends, etc, as apposed to being stuck with playing them on PS3, then buying a new PS3 when the one you have now takes a dump...

Used PS2/Xbox - $50-$60, all games in series work FLAWLESSLY, which won't change. Also, other titles in the library which you know you'd take advantage of. ;)

Games in the "Frame" series - $5-$25 depending on your thrift and luck.

matched against:

Used PS3 - Won't be under $150 any time soon. Games may continue to be buggy, who knows for sure?

Game - $10

This is easy for me, because I never got rid of my hardware... Your mileage and interest may vary with my own. But I'm a serious Survival Horror game fan and "retro" console ownership is the only choice as I see it. Buggy (over-priced) digital-only ports, and shoddy HD re-works which alter the art and dependability of a title or franchise, are not an option.

KiriharaZro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 KiriharaZro
Member since 2013 • 326 Posts
They remove it form the Store, i wonder if they refund to users who complain
Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Pffrbt

Does Fatal Frame 2 work on the 360?

Threesixtyci

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Threesixtyci
Member since 2006 • 4451 Posts

Pffrbt
Xbox is the version to get, if you can find a copy. Or the Wii....
RandoIphF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 RandoIphF

Does Fatal Frame 2 work on the 360?

Pffrbt
Yes, it is BC.
gamenerd15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26 gamenerd15
Member since 2007 • 4529 Posts

I thought Nintendo owned the rights to Fatal Frame now.  I guess Tecmo still owns the rights to the old games then.