So as I am sitting here listening to yet another Playstation making an obnoxious jet engine sound, I realize that a deal breaker for me on PS5 is the loudness of the fan and Sony's ability to make an overall better machine and design. Now I am sure this topic has come up before but I want to break it down in real person talk and not some convoluted geek speak. Having had numerous game system that make no noise or barely any and a PS2 that barely made any noise and lived for almost a decade, it's clear something happened when ps3, ps4, and ps4 pro came out. NOISY JET ENGINE FANS!
These fans are way over the top in noise, and ruin the game experience of most of my games. I have seen people blame the user and the "placing" of the console but in reality it's the console itself to blame for 99% of the problem. So let's break it down like this
1. No player should have to operate on their console for it to run the way it is supposed to. No one should have to fiddle with it and replace weird elctro gels and so on and so forth.
2. If Sony knows dust is a culprit it should have put easily removable and cleanable or replaceable filters on it by now.
3. There are blatantly more silent fans that could have been installed.
4. The games are clearly pushing the system over it's safe level and should never have been allowed if the system couldn't hack the requirements.
5. Everyone knows consoles have to be somewhere near the t.v. and has a cord and has to be near the plug in and most people can't just lay the console on the floor free of any walls, floors, or shelves,or be plugged into an 80 foot extension cable, because then everyone in the house would step on it or trip over the cords. Knowing the average user is going to put it on some kind of entertainment stand or similar, they should have already foreseen a need for better parts or even heat deflectors on the back and or sides.
6. When most of these PS's are just running say movies on Netflix, they rarely make any noise. Proving that the problem is the internal over heating of the system and not some heater or wall. If the heater or wall was causing the over heating or the system was defunct in general, it wouldn't be quieter when watching streaming video.
7. We know that some games push the fan louder than others, proving again it's the console not the wall, or heater or some obstruction.
8. Even when users clean the fan they rarely stop making this noise because the problem is the fan itself and not per say the dust. Even when cleaned right, the are still obnoxious.
Bottom line is you can't expect you users to be hardware geek specialists or operate on their consoles, nor expect them to pay $100's in repairs for a $200 machine. You also can't keep blaming the user or their walls for the failure of the design and quality of the console. If PS5 doesn't have a practically silent fan, it's a no go for our family. I won't pay to have my machine dusted on the inside. It's bad enough I gotta blow the dust out of the vents as it is and the fan is obviously still obnoxious even when I do. Attach some filters or something, seriously.