umair_s51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1 umair_s51
Member since 2009 • 359 Posts

They need to make PS5 back compat with PS3. Thoughts...

Is this possible now that we have some idea about the specs.

Also how feasible it is from business point of view

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2  Edited By judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7264 Posts

Sony has confirmed the PS5 will be backwards compatible with PS4, but made no mention 1-3. It is technically possible, but right now we have no official indication it will happen.

I would be very happy if it did though.

R-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By R-Gamer
Member since 2019 • 2221 Posts

That would be awesome.

firedrakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 firedrakes
Member since 2004 • 4365 Posts

1 and 2 yes. not hard to port for. but 3 yeah.... no their a reason why it was never ported to pc nor ps4...

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

Maybe emulation for certain games, but the PS3 is very different from the PS4 and PS5.

Personally I would love if they could support backwards compatibility across the whole stack.

ZombieKiller7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 ZombieKiller7
Member since 2011 • 6463 Posts

It will have "mostly" compatibility with PS4 (on the same level as Xbox One -> Xbox 360 compatibility) but PS3 is a whole different beast, different architecture and they're just not gonna make much headway there.

Besides, what's the incentive for Sony to do that when they've invested heavily in Gaikai/cloud gaming/PS-Now, they would just be undercutting their own subscription service.

ZombieKiller7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ZombieKiller7
Member since 2011 • 6463 Posts

Edit : I hope PS3 dies in a dumpster fire, whoever designed this POS needs to be drawn and quartered, tried to run just Hulu on my PS3 last night and I couldn't even get thru a movie.

This is a company I should trust with my data and my entertainment dollars? When a supposedly top tech machine 10 years ago can't even stream a video reliably?

And what is up with that "Warning : Read the manual for safety" shit that pops up every time it boots?

And why is a Dualshock 3 still $60 and full of counterfeits? Does Sony simply not care about its product line or is it just too lazy and incompetent?

neojotic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 neojotic
Member since 2019 • 24 Posts

My thought is that it would be a nice idea but the company won't be devoting time or effort on making it backwards compatible for PS3.

For PS4 it's worth the investment as they'll still be supporting it when the PS5 comes out. It also helps tie in the VR line. It's a good strategy for them as it will make customers more willing to onboard knowing that their old hardware and games are still being fully supported.

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9150 Posts

i hope have but sony know the answer

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#10 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

I would like full backwards compatibility on Playstation 5 with PS1, PS2, PS3, PSP but that is not going to happen. Sony will just do PS4

The Cell processor and the Emotion engine chip cost to much to add to PS5

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22374 Posts

If Sony had their way, they wouldn't have PS4 BC for PS5... let alone PS1-3.

Avatar image for deactivated-60113e7859d7d
deactivated-60113e7859d7d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-60113e7859d7d
Member since 2017 • 3808 Posts

Why would they bother? The PS4 is still new. Those games are still factory sealed on store shelves and people are still talking about the games and downloading them. PS3 games are used and already considered outdated by most casuals. It would be a lot more expensive for Sony to make those compatible, with the PS3 having such different architecture. I just don't see them doing it.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@hrt_rulz01: Its their system so its their way, so no idea what you're rambling on about little troll man?

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 hrt_rulz01

@vfighter said:

@hrt_rulz01: Its their system so its their way, so no idea what you're rambling on about little troll man?

Lol, of course you wouldn't... your head is too far shoved up Sony's arse.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@hrt_rulz01: If what you say is true that still doesnt change what I said little troll man.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 hrt_rulz01

@vfighter said:

@hrt_rulz01: If what you say is true that still doesnt change what I said little troll man.

And what I said is true... if Sony had their way, they wouldn't do BC at all with PS5, and make you buy everything again.

MS is forcing their hand because Scarlett will be BC. But hey, enjoy Sony's colon :)

redphoenix80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By redphoenix80
Member since 2019 • 45 Posts

I don't think I will buy a ps5 based on BC because as we know Sony got in trouble in more than one country for degrading and removing the bc from ps3 consoles in the past. The US didn't do anything as far as I can tell, even though they should have been prosecuted for it. I don't trust Sony to make the ps5 bc and even if they did, I don't trust they won't add it to get sales then delete it with an "update" later. For now my requisite is a quiet fan. If I hear WHIRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR. It's no sale. Maybe in five years when the actual quiet version gets made I'll think about it. Until then I'll just have to be happy with my PS4-Jet Engine Pro.

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#18 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

Would be a nice bonus but I can't see it happening. I'm not that technologically smart or very smart in general, but I'd think that it'd be really difficult, or not even possible, to have it be able to play both PS4 and PS3 discs when it was either too much trouble or not possible to have the PS4 play PS3 discs.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17813 Posts

Modern hardware is finally catching up with the magic that was "teh power of teh cell" but as we all know even a PS5 will still be less powerful than a PS3. it doesn't have the cell after all :P j/k

seriously though there has been progress getting PS3 games running on other hardware but even after all this time its a struggle. the PS3 was.....er....odd shall we say.

they can do it one of 3 ways.

1) streaming. blech. its streaming...not nice...but its better than nothing. just about.

2) try to build an emulator to do it. This would take an enormous amout of resources to do. to be honest they would probably be better off just porting many of the PS3s best games and re-releasing them (they kinda did that with the PS4 too).

3) a PS complete console (which i kinda want to see...even if its just a limited run collectors item). THE playstation. a console with all the bits needed to run PS1, 2, 3, 4, 5, PSP and vita games.

I think they are more likely to take any PS3 game that wasn't released on the PS4 already and port it though or rely on streaming (even then it means they need PS3 hardware running on a server somewhere which is naff).

KillzoneSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#20 KillzoneSnake
Member since 2012 • 2761 Posts

There is some rumors that Sony been working on PS3 emulation for years. Could be total BS considering how greedy evil Sony is these days, but who knows. PS1 and 2 BC can easily be emulated, im sure the PS5 can emulate them in sleep mode.... but Sony are downright EVIL these days. If the father was still here... Ken Kutaragi... we would have full BC on PS4 lol.

Some people do not care about BC. But a big part of older PS fans want it really bad. A generation that cared about physical games... we have large collections of PS1-3 games we would love to play again. Some still can if like me they have an octopus of consoles. I have PS Classic, PS2, PS3 and PS4 connected right now.... what a mess lol. Sony can also make money selling these games digitally to people who dont have the CD. Microsoft are the example of how BC is done. And yes PS3 BC can be done, almost 50% can already be emulated on PC.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#21 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15914 Posts

Yes yes yes!

Even though its a longshot and Sony probably wants to sell those PS3 games via PSNow and other streaming services, I am still optimist about this.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#22 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

Don't know if it's economically viable for both Sony and consumers to have full back compatibly all the way to PSOne. But it would be cool to have an approach similar to MS and have selected titles available.

Hypegaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Hypegaming
Member since 2019 • 15 Posts

I hope it is, I've been collecting some games for the PS3 recently. Would be great if I could play them with a PS5 controller. Even better if they would get performance boosts playing on the new console.

Mickeyminime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#24  Edited By Mickeyminime
Member since 2008 • 1581 Posts

I used to like the idea of it, but over the years, it's more or less dwindled and i've not really given it any support. Nice idea of course, but each generation seems to never have it and i guess with the games getting bigger in size, it might be rather pointless if you have to install a big game from a previous generation on to a new generation console. Maybe add the PS2 and PS3 combat to it, but not the PS4. PS2 saves are small, PS3 however, although not huge, some games are big in regards to installing and for me, its a big put off.