PS4 with Mouse and Keyboard

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by mrbojangles25 (44045 posts) -

Hello all!

So I have a PS4 which I bought recently and I love it! Playing through Spiderman and Horizon: Zero Dawn, and I have a nice big collection of exclusives from the past few years to get acquainted with.

Anyway, my question is this: is using a mouse and keyboard adapter considered dishonest, cheating, hacking, or anything like that?

More importantly, will using such a peripheral get me banned via any sort of anti-cheat software that might be used?

Why do I want to use it, you might ask. Because I am primarily a PC gamer and while the controller works well enough for games like Spiderman, I am just horrible with it in shooters. I want to play with my friends as there are three of us right now and we want to play Apex together.

#2 Posted by GTR12 (13477 posts) -

@mrbojangles25: Playing online with a kb/mouse will get you banned (unless the game specifically says that its ok, Fortnite allows it). You would need to check APEX specifically.

#3 Edited by mrbojangles25 (44045 posts) -

@GTR12 said:

@mrbojangles25: Playing online with a kb/mouse will get you banned (unless the game specifically says that its ok, Fortnite allows it). You would need to check APEX specifically.

How do they tell I am using a mouse and keyboard?

I'll be using a XIM APEX (not the game Apex, the product is called APEX) adapter, which sends all the signals through the controller.

#4 Posted by xantufrog (11519 posts) -

@GTR12: what are some examples where this is a problem? I'm very skeptical since, as far as I'm aware, the devs have to provide M&K support for their PS4 ports of the games. The devices don't just work, no? Fortnite, for example, offers the functionality and therefore it is also "ok"

#5 Posted by GTR12 (13477 posts) -

@mrbojangles25 said:
@GTR12 said:

How do they tell I am using a mouse and keyboard?

I'll be using a XIM APEX (not the game Apex, the product is called APEX) adapter, which sends all the signals through the controller.

They don't tell exactly, when you kill someone, they get a kill-cam and then get to spectate you, if its a twitch kill or a few insane kills that you just don't get with a controller, that player would report you for cheating, and it adds up over time, so you might get 10-20 reports a month. The mods would then look at your stats and deem that you're cheating.

@xantufrog said:

@GTR12: what are some examples where this is a problem? I'm very skeptical since, as far as I'm aware, the devs have to provide M&K support for their PS4 ports of the games. The devices don't just work, no? Fortnite, for example, offers the functionality and therefore it is also "ok"

Fortnite is the only "ok" game, look at other multi-platform games; Overwatch, Titanfall 2, Doom etc they might be ports but you cant use kb/mouse or risk getting banned.

#6 Edited by xantufrog (11519 posts) -

@GTR12: but can you use a mouse at all? That was my point - when they give the functionality then it's ok with them

#7 Posted by mrbojangles25 (44045 posts) -

@xantufrog said:

@GTR12: but can you use a mouse at all? That was my point - when they give the functionality then it's ok with them

From what I've read, while PS4 has native M+KB support for their operating system, and the code exists to have it in their games, very few developers incorporate the support into the games. Blizzard, in particular, is actually against M+KB in the console version of Overwatch to prevent what they consider an unfair advantage.

It's a really screwy sort of take if they indeed do take punitive damage because here you have SONY saying "Go ahead and use mouse and keyboard, we support it" but then the individual game developers are like "nope".

I'll need to look more into the whole banning aspect of it, whether it's official policy or up to the community, etc. TBH I would appreciate the ability to use M+KB, but I imagine eventually I would get pretty good with controller if I give it time.

#8 Posted by xantufrog (11519 posts) -

@mrbojangles25: I'm like you - controllers are fine (in fact I really like the DS4 a lot!), but I'm ass at FPS with them.

I'd be surprised if very many games support M&K (I haven't tried), but I'd also be shocked if you'd get in trouble for using it *when they do*. Since the devs have to add the support, they wouldn't do it in cases where they aren't ok with it, surely.

#9 Posted by GTR12 (13477 posts) -

@mrbojangles25 said:
@xantufrog said:

From what I've read, while PS4 has native M+KB support for their operating system, and the code exists to have it in their games, very few developers incorporate the support into the games. Blizzard, in particular, is actually against M+KB in the console version of Overwatch to prevent what they consider an unfair advantage.

It's a really screwy sort of take if they indeed do take punitive damage because here you have SONY saying "Go ahead and use mouse and keyboard, we support it" but then the individual game developers are like "nope".

I'll need to look more into the whole banning aspect of it, whether it's official policy or up to the community, etc. TBH I would appreciate the ability to use M+KB, but I imagine eventually I would get pretty good with controller if I give it time.

Exactly to the whole post, but the bit in bold, its a game-by-game basis, I don't know if APEX has those restrictions, I'm not really interested in it, so I dunno.

#10 Edited by SBan83 (39 posts) -

I too came from many years (nearly 2 decades) of M+K on PC and still struggle to get totally comfortable with shooters in general. However, I hope m+k is never becomes a thing on consoles because part of the fun of consoles is not sitting in front of a desk hunched over a m+k.

#11 Posted by mrbojangles25 (44045 posts) -

@sban83 said:

I too came from many years (nearly 2 decades) of M+K on PC and still struggle to get totally comfortable with shooters in general. However, I hope m+k is never becomes a thing on consoles because part of the fun of consoles is not sitting in front of a desk hunched over a m+k.

Yeah I kind of feel like "isn't that the point?" and I should just adapt to controller, but at the same time I just don't want to struggle haha.

Controller is great for everything else, even Horizon: Zero Dawn which requires precision on occasion, but for a shooter like Apex Legends I just feel helpless haha

Avatar image for patrickmanninsz
#12 Edited by patrickmanninsz (3 posts) -

How do we even connect keyboard and mouse to a PS4?

#13 Edited by GTR12 (13477 posts) -

@patrickmanninsz said:

How do we even connect keyboard and mouse to a PS4?

Are you a special kind?

There's USB's on the PS4.

#16 Posted by ByeBye2 (19 posts) -

Not many support mouse and keyboard, the only one I know is FF14 online.

#17 Edited by IdonTknow13 (1 posts) -

I wouldn't necessarily say it's cheating. Blizzard, for example, says they're against the idea of implementing mouse and keyboard, but does not specifically say that it is forbidden. Every forum I see, people suggest that it's a bannable offense, but never have anything to back up their skepticism on.

Some would say that mouse and keyboard gives an unfair advantage, but it is arguable that controllers offer easier access (you can play on the couch), hands closer together, and are far more ergonomic (see http://www.joystixpro.com/blog/article/items/Top-12-reasons-why-game-controllers-are-better-than-keyboards-and-mice-when-playing-PC-games/)

But if you do want to try a mouse and keyboard on console, I would suggest http://PS4MouseToController.com -- you can get it free and there are options for subscription tiers (no adapter).

#18 Posted by xantufrog (11519 posts) -

Please don't bump old threads