Ps4 Vs Xbox one graphics, side by side comparison

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for humoungousmoth7
HumoungousMoth7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By HumoungousMoth7
Member since 2013 • 36 Posts

I've been looking at side by side comparisons of both systems and I preferred the Xbox one's use of vibrant colors for the games. In the Battlefield comparison the flesh tones, explosions and grass were better looking. In FIFA, the uniform colors had more color in them as well as the playing field. The PS4 colors seemed washed out. I was wondering if it was a fair comparision on youtube or did the guy tweak something to make the Xbox One games look more colorful? How could the Xbox look better when it is running at a lower resolution?

Avatar image for deactivated-589cfb21cbc03
deactivated-589cfb21cbc03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By deactivated-589cfb21cbc03
Member since 2009 • 840 Posts

each game looks different graphics wise so for example: battlefield might look better on the xbox one but if you look at the call of duty ghosts comparison video, the ps4 looks superior in graphics. at the end of the day, the reason you choose one console over the other isn't graphics, its the exclusives. regardless of what games look superior on the xbox one, it has been proven that the ps4 is more powerful so the ps4 might get some features that the xbox one won't.

jasean79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 jasean79
Member since 2005 • 2593 Posts

I think some of it has to do with your set-up. While it may look similar on most televisions, the settings will change slightly from set to set. I haven't watched the video, but maybe the guy set his brightness and contrast really high on the Xbox and lower on the PS4 to prove a point (it's common practice for stores like Best Buy to do this with their TV's so they "pop" when you see them on display in store).

I would think they're probably almost identical. Minor graphic enhancements are not going to make or break me. There's so much more to a game/system than it's visuals.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By deactivated-589cfb21cbc03

@jasean79 said:

I think some of it has to do with your set-up. While it may look similar on most televisions, the settings will change slightly from set to set. I haven't watched the video, but maybe the guy set his brightness and contrast really high on the Xbox and lower on the PS4 to prove a point (it's common practice for stores like Best Buy to do this with their TV's so they "pop" when you see them on display in store).

I would think they're probably almost identical. Minor graphic enhancements are not going to make or break me. There's so much more to a game/system than it's visuals.

i forget about the tv settings. well said.

Draign

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5 Draign
Member since 2013 • 1824 Posts

Theres no real way to compare until you use both systems on the same monitor. And if you need to go that route then its not that big of a difference.

@barry000 said:

each game looks different graphics wise so for example: battlefield might look better on the xbox one but if you look at the call of duty ghosts comparison video, the ps4 looks superior in graphics. at the end of the day, the reason you choose one console over the other isn't graphics, its the exclusives. regardless of what games look superior on the xbox one, it has been proven that the ps4 is more powerful so the ps4 might get some features that the xbox one won't.

And at the same time the Xbox One has features that PS4 wont have. Ex. Forza 5 drivatars.

Choice is great.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By deactivated-589cfb21cbc03
@draign said:

Theres no real way to compare until you use both systems on the same monitor. And if you need to go that route then its not that big of a difference.

@barry000 said:

And at the same time the Xbox One has features that PS4 wont have. Ex. Forza 5 drivatars.

Choice is great.

forza is an xbox exclusive so that doesn't count and i was talking about multiplat games or just console features. also, if you want to spend real money on useless avater items, go ahead. i'm fine with just a picture avater on the playstation consoles.

MondasM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7 MondasM
Member since 2008 • 1897 Posts

the black on the plastic xbox cover seems greyish, ps4 much better...

are you for real???

Ahiru-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#8  Edited By Ahiru-San
Member since 2006 • 1375 Posts

@barry000:

@barry000 said:

forza is an xbox exclusive so that doesn't count and i was talking about multiplat games or just console features. also, if you want to spend real money on useless avater items, go ahead. i'm fine with just a picture avater on the playstation consoles.

Drivatar is not an "avatar", it's a feature in the game, which is like bots playing as your friends (using their likeness, maneuverings etc, all AI stored in the cloud), and that's pretty cool by the way (it's like playing multiplayer with your friends when they are offline, wait --what?!)

anyways, as for multiplatform games, I got both PS4 and X1, all the multiplatforms I got on X1, I got the PS4 mainly for exclusives and PSN stuff…

games run great on both consoles. of course there are those infamous 720p on X1 (CoD:Ghosts for instance and ACIV) but I'm not worried, because in the near future it's more likely every game will have to be 1080p -- publisher will push devs to do it, devs will be more comfortable with the platform as well (look at the latter games from last gen, graphics look great for a 2004/2005 hardware, right?), so in the long run they will probably be the same. NFS:Rivals really surprised me, great visuals…

FIFA looks terrible on both, in my opinion -- it's just a port from the last gen. It's less than 10gb… it's not made from the ground up, just like CoD or BF4, even ACIV (although BF4 has more eye-popping features and sound…), so let's wait for the new games to come up...

maybe the videos you saw weren't using the HDMI Full Range RGB colors on the PS4. Colors look great on both consoles, using proper screen calibration. Don't use the auto-contrast (dynamic contrast), don't change the black levels, gamma, etc… leave the TV/monitor at 60hz because that's what the games will deliver at most, this 120hz, 240hz, etc TV modes are just useless in gaming… everything will look worse.

the exclusives so far, I'm not impressed on the PS4 games I have, they all look like "cool" PS3 games… the X1 got some better visuals on some games (Ryse has great visuals, whether the gameplay is worth or not, the graphics are awesome).

for the console features, I like the Kinect integration on the X1 itself, it's completely optional, you don't have to plug it in at all -- and the way games use it is also clever and not overwhelming (leaning on Battlefield to look around the corners for instance), I don't have the PS camera and I don't plan on getting it, nor Move.. I simply prefer the PS4 as a gaming console as it is, leaving the motion stuff to kinect already, so I can't opine on that…

the controller is a matter of taste, but I prefer the X1 all the way, hands down… I never like the DS controllers, analogs way too soft and close to each other, the triggers are too rubber-band for FPS, I dunno… haven't found any real use for the touchpad yet, aside some lame gadgets calling in Killzone (swiping), but it also gets in the way all the time -- trying to press the home button is also troublesome, right in the middle of the analogs, the share/options buttons are too small and hard to press in the middle of the action (to pause for instance), I dunno, it's not for me I guess…

I love the fact you can simply switch the HDD on the PS4 with no trouble at all, slide the cover, unscrew the HDD and replace… install the system via USB and that's it. I put a 1TB HDD on mine, working flawlessly and got plenty of space to download stuff. about the cover, both consoles are plastic that WILL get scratch easily no matter what. the X1 has the air exhaust on the top, which is much better in my opinion, since the hot air goes up… the PS4 is like the previous, hot air coming from behind, so it's not good to keep it in a closed rack or in against the wall surrounded…

But in the end, if you got the $$, grab both. in the long run, the exclusives will matter most for the gamer. and both will have awesome ones. as for now, PS4 only got a few that are not impressive as the ones X1 have (which also have much more variety on the exclusives side). as for the multiplatform games, most will run at higher resolution on the PS4, but soon they will probably run the same on both, so it won't probably matter in the long run. if you have to pick a side, consider things like controller, peripherals (kinect or ps camera/move, smartglass/ps companion/ps vita remote play), and exclusives. graphics-wise for multiplatform they will end up the same, you will see.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d307c5efcda
deactivated-57d307c5efcda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 deactivated-57d307c5efcda
Member since 2009 • 1302 Posts

No, it's just that when capturing video Playstation 3 and 4 always for some reason come out really bright. In a real life settings, they are equal in color reproduction. I have my PS4 set to RGB full and my X1 set to expanded with my Panasonic St-50 set to non-limited color as well (so it works with Full RGB and Expanded without crushing the blacks). Call of Duty looks the same on both (color wise, but there is a difference in sharpness and clarity, PS4 looks much cleaner). Can't say about battlefield 4 as I only have the PS4 version. The only game I have duplicates of is Ghosts and thats because I have a bunch of friends on both sides that play that game.

Overall, I would say that you should not choose a console over comparisons "color reproduction" Not only because they capture weirdly at different gamma levels, but more than likely most are viewing the video on a crappy laptop display or cheap TN monitor rather than their TV. (Not everyone, but I'm pretty sure a majority are).

Both are great, I'm loving Forza 5 and enjoying my 1080p multiplats. I also like my X1 as a media device. Watching Netflix using the kinect while I eat is so much better than greasing up my controllers when I want to pause, play, navigate or switch shows lol.

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#10 MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

@humoungousmoth7 said:

I've been looking at side by side comparisons of both systems and I preferred the Xbox one's use of vibrant colors for the games. In the Battlefield comparison the flesh tones, explosions and grass were better looking. In FIFA, the uniform colors had more color in them as well as the playing field. The PS4 colors seemed washed out. I was wondering if it was a fair comparision on youtube or did the guy tweak something to make the Xbox One games look more colorful? How could the Xbox look better when it is running at a lower resolution?

Unless your sitting like 2ft away, it's a POINTLESS topic!

daveg1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#11 daveg1
Member since 2005 • 20405 Posts

it was the same with the ps3/360 the 360 games were a bit better with contrast levels and its the same with x1/ps4..

look at every single graphics comparrison and youl see it..

special-ops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 33

#12 special-ops
Member since 2011 • 121 Posts

PS4 has better graphics than XboxOne and I like the PS4 more than the XboxOne