PS4 vs. PS3 Comparison

• 57 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

bobborries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 bobborries
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts
  The new specs for the PS4 seems to turn the playstation into a PC, except for the special memory thats runs much faster than a typical PC. The PS3 was based on IBM's Cell processor, that was hailed at it's debut, but turned out to be a problematic to program and hotter than an oven. The PS4 changes all that with X86 technology that most game developers like to work with and is a standard in the PC gaming community.  Every part of the playstation has been upgraded to be up to 16 times faster. Connectivity with iPhones/iPads/androids and sharing has been added, an extra CPU is included to do downloads and other tasks at the same time your playing a game, in fact you can start to download a game and begin to play it before it's entirely downloaded. Other possibilities are picture in picture and previewing an opponent's "best of" video clips before the match begins. Playing the PS4 at work through your smartphone by controller and video streaming?  The controller has much more sensors and feedback controls than you can shake a stick at. To me it looks like the touch pad is in an awkward place, you'll probably swipe it to pull a pin on a grenade and so forth. There's a share button (something I would never touch) and the options button does double duty for pausing and starting. A mono headset comes bundled, so everyone will have a mic, stereo headsets will be available. You'll be able to recharge the controller with any usb charger, and the multi-colored light bar helps the camera or 3D positioning as well as indicating to the gamer their health is low by flashing red. The button and trigger quality has been improved. So why buy a PS4 when it's basically a low priced PC, why not just buy a PC? I'll have to wait and see more of the PS4 can do, before thinking of buying a $1500 PC. It'll be interesting to see a comparison of the new Xbox when specs are released.
MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts
System wars is that way And you can't create thread until level 10,have fun
23Jarek23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 23Jarek23
Member since 2009 • 2647 Posts

System wars is that way And you can't create thread until level 10,have funMonsieurX

I don't see why you have to be a d-ck, this is a pretty decent thread, a lot better than many others that get started here on a daily basis. It's a playstation thread, comparing current and next gen playstaion, why would it belong in SW?

Cool little info-graphics OP. 

Avatar image for angryassdrummer
angryassdrummer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 angryassdrummer
Member since 2006 • 230 Posts

thats pretty interesting and makes it easier to compare 

im a bit more interested in ps4 than i was before this thread

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 clr84651
Member since 2010 • 5643 Posts

[QUOTE="MonsieurX"]System wars is that way And you can't create thread until level 10,have fun23Jarek23

I don't see why you have to be a d-ck, this is a pretty decent thread, a lot better than many others that get started here on a daily basis. It's a playstation thread, comparing current and next gen playstaion, why would it belong in SW?

They must have misunderstood. Your topic is fine. The PS4 is a lot more impressive than PS3 as was PS3 a lot more impressive than PS2 and was PS2 a lot more impressive than PS1. I like your comparison chart. I look forward to more info on PS4 between now and launch. E3 should be very good. Thank you!:D

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

I really want to get my hands on that controller. 

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7 commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts
i though the ps4 had a hd 7850 in it A 7670? that's going to hurt next gen lol. Also the ps3 had 256 mb system memory.
commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8 commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

[QUOTE="23Jarek23"]

[QUOTE="MonsieurX"]System wars is that way And you can't create thread until level 10,have funclr84651

They must have misunderstood. Your topic is fine. The PS4 is a lot more impressive than PS3 as was PS3 a lot more impressive than PS2 and was PS2 a lot more impressive than PS1. I like your comparison chart. I look forward to more info on PS4 between now and launch. E3 should be very good. Thank you!:D

The ps3 was a lot more impressive for it's time though, 8 cores , and the latest gpu. Not the case with the ps4 though, bad idea.
AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts
[QUOTE="MonsieurX"]System wars is that way And you can't create thread until level 10,have fun

This isn't system wars material and belongs were it is. Also, he doesn't have to be level ten to create a thread unless you mean in SW.
ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts
[QUOTE="evildead6789"]i though the ps4 had a hd 7850 in it A 7670? that's going to hurt next gen lol. Also the ps3 had 256 mb system memory.

AMD has confirmed that PS4 will be using 2013 road map building blocks i.e. 7670 is not part of it.
CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9150 Posts
nice thread i cant wait for PS4 still love my PS3
Mcspanky37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Mcspanky37
Member since 2010 • 1693 Posts
Not really diggin that new controller. Looks unpleasant to look at and less comfortable than the last Dualshock.
Venom_Raptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 124

#14 Venom_Raptor
Member since 2010 • 6959 Posts

PS4 definitely sounds so awesome!

Venom_Raptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Venom_Raptor

dualshock is for girly hands, xbox for manhands.evildead6789

Just no

Avatar image for The_Golden_Age-
The_Golden_Age-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 The_Golden_Age-
Member since 2012 • 172 Posts

Why get a PS4 over a PC? PlayStation exclusives are pretty much the only reason I'm still playing games these days. I'm not even talking about stuff like God Of War, Gran Turismo, Little Big Planet, Infamous, etc.

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#17 MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

[QUOTE="MonsieurX"]System wars is that way And you can't create thread until level 10,have fun23Jarek23

Agreed,I don't what the issue is.....

metalgrinch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 metalgrinch
Member since 2005 • 455 Posts

so cool, this thing is going to be a monster. But hopefully it won't be an expensive monster

DarkGamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 DarkGamer007
Member since 2008 • 6033 Posts

I hope they still have an ethernet port on the console, video game consoles normally cannot connect to my University Wi-Fi.

Avatar image for CaptainGamespot
CaptainGamespot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 CaptainGamespot
Member since 2013 • 616 Posts

System wars is that way And you can't create thread until level 10,have funMonsieurX

bad attitude, no need to be a jerk.

also, this thread isn't sw material, its' about ps3 to ps4, not 360 to ps4 or 720 to ps4 or wii u to ps4.

u mad.

CaptainGamespot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 CaptainGamespot

tc : nice thread and pics. thank you for posting. informative.

[QUOTE="MonsieurX"]System wars is that way And you can't create thread until level 10,have funAmazonTreeBoa
This isn't system wars material and belongs were it is. Also, he doesn't have to be level ten to create a thread unless you mean in SW.

exactly, thanks.

CaptainGamespot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 CaptainGamespot

dualshock is for girly hands, xbox for manhands.evildead6789

no, i'm 6foot five inches, no way is that accurate. 

xbox is for alien, awkward thumb placement hands, dualshock is for human symmetrical hands. easy to counter, thanks.

CaptainGamespot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 CaptainGamespot

\

agreed. I like the info graphics too. 

monsier guy is a sw xbox troll, if memory serves. he mad ps comparison isn't negative.

Mrmedia01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Mrmedia01
Member since 2007 • 1917 Posts

Very well done thread, love the comparison pics. Good job OP. I can't wait for PS4, much more powerful than PS3. I am hyped.

SKaREO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 SKaREO
Member since 2006 • 3161 Posts
The more I think about it, the more this system is a step backwards in hardware. The only thing that can save it is some really solid exclusive titles, otherwise it has such a limited collection of games that I'm interested in I will probably not even buy one. I just bought an Intel i7-980X with a GTX 680 and a Solid State Drive with 555 Mb/s Read/Write. From a hardware standpoint, this PS4 is just ugly. AMD and ATI graphics? Major fail there. And the system will be chugging behind even last year's computers. It's too bad that game developers weren't ready for the super-advanced cell-processing architecture of the PS3, now we are going to have to settle with just another cheap PC with a logo on it...
Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 StrongBlackVine
Member since 2012 • 13262 Posts

The more I think about it, the more this system is a step backwards in hardware. The only thing that can save it is some really solid exclusive titles, otherwise it has such a limited collection of games that I'm interested in I will probably not even buy one. I just bought an Intel i7-980X with a GTX 680 and a Solid State Drive with 555 Mb/s Read/Write. From a hardware standpoint, this PS4 is just ugly. AMD and ATI graphics? Major fail there. And the system will be chugging behind even last year's computers. It's too bad that game developers weren't ready for the super-advanced cell-processing architecture of the PS3, now we are going to have to settle with just another cheap PC with a logo on it...SKaREO

Moron

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts
The more I think about it, the more this system is a step backwards in hardware. The only thing that can save it is some really solid exclusive titles, otherwise it has such a limited collection of games that I'm interested in I will probably not even buy one. I just bought an Intel i7-980X with a GTX 680 and a Solid State Drive with 555 Mb/s Read/Write. From a hardware standpoint, this PS4 is just ugly. AMD and ATI graphics? Major fail there. And the system will be chugging behind even last year's computers. It's too bad that game developers weren't ready for the super-advanced cell-processing architecture of the PS3, now we are going to have to settle with just another cheap PC with a logo on it...SKaREO
Sad pathetic troll attempt is sad pathetic troll attempt.
Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

I'm not seeing how it's a step backwards, it seems like a major leap forwards to me. It may be a step backwards from the $1000+ gaming computer you have, but for a console it's packing some serious power. 

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#29 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

PS4 definitely sounds so awesome!

Venom_Raptor

yes it sounds real sweet.

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

has anyone else put there ps3 on after hearing about the ps4 and just thought i just can't be bothered truly playing on this anymore and i want the ps4 NOW hahahahaha i'm like a big kid, i put fifa in and just thought, truly how much better are the graphics going to be than this. i always do this when i know the new system is around the corner i get bored of the current system and my mind is set on the new system.

StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 StrongBlackVine

has anyone else put there ps3 on after hearing about the ps4 and just thought i just can't be bothered truly playing on this anymore and i want the ps4 NOW hahahahaha i'm like a big kid, i put fifa in and just thought, truly how much better are the graphics going to be than this. i always do this when i know the new system is around the corner i get bored of the current system and my mind is set on the new system.

bezza2011

No I have a backlog to clear out before the PS4 is released. aa

StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 StrongBlackVine

[QUOTE="StrongBlackVine"]

[QUOTE="SKaREO"]The more I think about it, the more this system is a step backwards in hardware. The only thing that can save it is some really solid exclusive titles, otherwise it has such a limited collection of games that I'm interested in I will probably not even buy one. I just bought an Intel i7-980X with a GTX 680 and a Solid State Drive with 555 Mb/s Read/Write. From a hardware standpoint, this PS4 is just ugly. AMD and ATI graphics? Major fail there. And the system will be chugging behind even last year's computers. It's too bad that game developers weren't ready for the super-advanced cell-processing architecture of the PS3, now we are going to have to settle with just another cheap PC with a logo on it...SKaREO

Moron

Stop acting like a baby. Your PS4 is just a meager PC. My PC has a blue ray burner and solid state drives, and I can upgrade it anytime. Have fun with your new budget PC build I guess.

Have fun being modded...

merigoldsass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 merigoldsass
Member since 2011 • 575 Posts
i like the controller, hopefully someone will get it to work on the pc which would be a great added benefit. Sucks that the ps3 can not play games above 1080p, for most people that will not matter, currently. However in about 2-3 years 4k tvs will probably be affordable and it would be nice to play games at that resolution. (yes resolutions above 1080p do actually look noticeably better believe it or not)
lonewolf604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 lonewolf604
Member since 2007 • 8747 Posts

[QUOTE="bezza2011"]

StrongBlackVine

No I have a backlog to clear out before the PS4 is released. aa

Same here, and I only play FPS, so my library is limited. I still haven't played any God of War, Uncharted, or LIttle Big Planet 

Avatar image for angryassdrummer
angryassdrummer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 angryassdrummer
Member since 2006 • 230 Posts
Why do you only play fps?
lonewolf604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 lonewolf604
Member since 2007 • 8747 Posts

Why do you only play fps?angryassdrummer
I grew up playing Counter-Strike, Unreal, and Quake. I tend not to like to problem solve/explore when playing games. I just like to shoot stuff. My friends bought me LA Noire for my birthday a couple years ago and I didn't even finish it. I had Zelda Twilight Princess for Wii and didn't finish it. So I guess this year I'm going to get some used PS3 games and pick up some titles I missed on before getting the PS4.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

Major fail is you. The chip size for Intel i7-980X is quite large i.e. 239 mm^ while Radeon HD 7870's chip size is 212 mm^2.

AMD Jaguar core size is 3.1 mm^2 + 2.1 mm^2 for L2 cache i.e. total size of ~41.6 mm^2.

The reason why Intel i7-980X's large chip size is due to slower DDR3 memory i.e. larger on-board cache. Fast GDDR5 memory reduces the need for large chip size.

On Geforce GTX 680 issue...

graph-635x357.png

The breakdown on GPU strengths

Non-Microsoft Direct3D GPGPU face-off: K20 vs 7970 vs GTX680 vs M2050 vs GTX580 from http://wili.cc/blog/gpgpu-faceoff.html

performance.png

K20 = GK110

There's very difference between NVIDIA's OpenCL and CUDA.

cudaopencl.png

PS, Sony PS4 would not be using Microsoft's Direct3D stack.

App 1. Digital Hydraulics code is all about basic floating point arithmetics, both algebraic and transcendental. No dynamic branching, very little memory traffic.

App 2. Ambient Occlusion code is a very mixed load of floating point and integer arithmetics, dynamic branching, texture sampling and memory access. Despite the memory traffic, this is a very compute intensive kernel.

App 3. Running Sum code, in contrast to the above, is memory intensive. It shuffles data through at a high rate, not doing much calculations on it. It relies heavily on the on-chip L1 cache, though, so it's not a raw memory bandwidth test.

App 4. Geometry Sampling code is texture sampling intensive. It sweeps through geometry data in "waves", and stresses samplers, texture caches, and memory equally. It also has a high register usage and thus low occupancy.

Dirt Showdown's results mirrors "App 2" results.

Venom_Raptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Venom_Raptor

[QUOTE="StrongBlackVine"]

[QUOTE="SKaREO"]The more I think about it, the more this system is a step backwards in hardware. The only thing that can save it is some really solid exclusive titles, otherwise it has such a limited collection of games that I'm interested in I will probably not even buy one. I just bought an Intel i7-980X with a GTX 680 and a Solid State Drive with 555 Mb/s Read/Write. From a hardware standpoint, this PS4 is just ugly. AMD and ATI graphics? Major fail there. And the system will be chugging behind even last year's computers. It's too bad that game developers weren't ready for the super-advanced cell-processing architecture of the PS3, now we are going to have to settle with just another cheap PC with a logo on it...SKaREO

Moron

Stop acting like a baby. Your PS4 is just a meager PC. My PC has a blue ray burner and solid state drives, and I can upgrade it anytime. Have fun with your new budget PC build I guess.

Control your hard on over your damn PC, PS4 is a leap forward in gaming, and you're just blinded by your narrow-mindedness

KaY_86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 KaY_86
Member since 2009 • 280 Posts
all what I want to know is the HDD size of ps4..is it 8GB?..like in ps3 there is 120GB,250,320,500....GB
The_Rick_14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#41 The_Rick_14
Member since 2006 • 9945 Posts
i like the controller, hopefully someone will get it to work on the pc which would be a great added benefit. Sucks that the ps3 can not play games above 1080p, for most people that will not matter, currently. However in about 2-3 years 4k tvs will probably be affordable and it would be nice to play games at that resolution. (yes resolutions above 1080p do actually look noticeably better believe it or not)merigoldsass
I imagine that would be a huge amount of data to have to render. Even if the tvs are affordable, the real bottleneck is keeping the fps high and stable. Personally, I think I'd prefer 1080p at a stable 60fps before 4k at an unstable 30ish fps for gaming.
jsilverstreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 jsilverstreak
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
so the only reason you played ps3 was because it had different architecture, because that affects the games for the better some how
Avatar image for deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd
deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

User Lists: 1

#43 deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd
Member since 2008 • 4403 Posts

There's not much to complain about, just... why did they put a speaker on the controller?  The Wii did that and the speaker just sucked.  Really tinny and wasn't used to much good.

One of the things I am scared of with the PS4 is really expensive controllers.  I think no more than $60 for a controller, please.

naju890_963

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#44 naju890_963
Member since 2008 • 8954 Posts

Nice post, loved the specs comparison. I think gamers play on consoles because they think that PC gaming is hard to set up and tend to shy away from it.

BadMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#45 BadMonk
Member since 2002 • 318 Posts
Thanks!!! Great post & the comparison gfx are great!! :)
new_gamer244

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 new_gamer244
Member since 2011 • 338 Posts

4K gaming will be 60 fps only in 2020+

Avatar image for megaspiderweb09
megaspiderweb09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 megaspiderweb09
Member since 2009 • 3686 Posts

That is such a good and easy to read thread, thank you TC

harkonan698

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 harkonan698
If I have Battlefield 4 for PS3 and my friend has Battlefield 4 for PS4, will we be able to play together online?
Powen001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Powen001
Forgive me if this was already asked ...WILL THE PS4 be compatible with existing PS3 games?
robbie80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 robbie80
Member since 2005 • 988 Posts
Forgive me if this was already asked ...WILL THE PS4 be compatible with existing PS3 games?Powen001
no they. Won't work just keep your ps3 and you be fine.