PS4 Pro is nothing more then an Overclocked Regular PS4.

thingta42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

User Lists: 0

#1 thingta42
Member since 2005 • 6120 Posts

I'm not buying into it. Seriously, there's no excuse not to have a 4K player in the console. I'm disappointed.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

Well, the PS4 Pro is releasing next month and they needed to keep the price affordable. Any comparisons to future holiday 2017 machines would have to take into consideration the time difference and the price.

That said, I stated this 100x times, but I was never getting these mid gen .5 console upgrades...I'll wait for PS5/XbTwo instead.

I'm content with my current model PS4/Xbones.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

4k player?

Are you aware of the price?

Warlag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Warlag
Member since 2016 • 16 Posts

I was bummed out about the 4K bluray but it's not stopping me from getting it. I prob wouldn't use the DVD player anyway I'd just use a media player

thingta42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By thingta42

@MonsieurX: Sure it would make the price maybe a bit more expensive, but it would make the PS4 pro more future proof. In comparison. (Without making it into a console war debate) The Xbox one S which comes out in October i believe? Can play 4k movies. And that console costs 399$

I think Sony is making a mistake. I heard that Amazon is still accepting preorders on the PS4p, Which means they aren't selling as expected.

I'm expecting attachment/adoption rate on current owners who are upgrading to a PS4p to be around 20%. I'm personally not buying any new model of a PS4 until i see a worthwhile upgrade.

-people who buy this console i feel like are gonna get scammed. A year later Sony is gonna re-release it with a 4k capable player.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

@thingta42: I don't think the 4k player is relevant. It's a nice addition but we're not talking the same effect as the PS2 had with its DVD or PS3 with its blu-ray player. Streaming didn't exist\wasn't as much as available as it is now.

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#7 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

I don't care about the lack of 4K player. I look forward to better performance and graphical upgrades to future and even some current games. I'll admit that the cost of upgrading is questionably justifiable, but hey, it's my money. And I need more storage space anyway. A 1TB HDD alone would cost me about $60.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10490 Posts

slightly overclocked cpu / ram, a modest gpu upgrade and can do upscaled 4k?

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

It would have costed more. Look at XB1S, they sell the 2TB console at the same price as the PRO and you're stuck with the same old Xbone hardware just because it can play 4K movies, meh to the max, screw the 4K bluray player IMO.

Redskins4045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#10  Edited By Redskins4045
Member since 2015 • 108 Posts

The 4k Native Bluray player that Microsoft offers with their 500gb S console is easily worth $299. There is so little UHD content on Netflix and Amazon these days it's a absolute joke. I bought the Xbone S just for the Native 4K Bluray player since my Sony UHD tv already has Android and Google cast built in. These days every 4K UHD Tv has a smart tv built in. There is no need to use a console to stream UHD content when your 4K tv will do the same thing plus much more. This is where a 4K Native bluray player would be nice when it comes to the PS4 Pro. Bottom line for Sony not to put a Native 4K Bluray player in the PS4 Pro for the people with 4K HDR tv's, HDR being key here is a huge mistake imo.. Hopefully Sony will eventually upgrade & put a Native 4K player in..

SoAmazingBaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 SoAmazingBaby
Member since 2009 • 3023 Posts

Totally agree

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

"just an overclocked PS4" seems a bit reductive - for one thing, in the world of CPUs that's a huge overclock. Remember, we're talking multi-threading - so apply that OC to 8 semi-parallel processing streams. Moreover, the GPU is a lot more than "just an OC" - I don't think anyone in their right mind swapping out an R7 260x for an RX470 would describe that as just an OC

Think of it like upgrading the guts of your PC. Same disc drive, same OS, but more juice. Whether that does or doesn't do anything for you is a fair question, though

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#13 RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11677 Posts

I think the Pro will end up being the standard model new investors will want (in time), but how developers take advantage of that extra power is questionable. And could end up being a waste of money.

After all developers don't want to rip-off the original model owners with a half-assed running game; which consists of over 36 million owners, and even if 10% of owners trade to a Pro. That's still a large player base. So my guess is games will continue being optimised for the original PS4s first and Pro options being a secondary option if the devs have the time and funding.

Pro is the better model, no question. It's not overrated. But if you're not into VR or 4K? It'll unlikely be worth the investment till it becomes the norm. Even though I'd imagine none server loading screens should be quicker_

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

not putting a 4k player in is a big mistake

Streaming 4k content with current internet speeds is impossible for the majority of people out there.Updating the entire infrastructure with optic fiber is going to take years.

Redskins4045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Redskins4045

Agree Shepard Commandr.

NukleaWorfair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#16 NukleaWorfair
Member since 2009 • 475 Posts

I think Sony will eventually add a 4k player once there is a demand. Just not now. The demand for 4k is not big right now. Gamers want 1080p and 60fps, and consumers are happy with Blu Ray.

thingta42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By thingta42

@redskins4045 said:

The 4k Native Bluray player that Microsoft offers with their 500gb S console is easily worth $299. There is so little UHD content on Netflix and Amazon these days it's a absolute joke. I bought the Xbone S just for the Native 4K Bluray player since my Sony UHD tv already has Android and Google cast built in. These days every 4K UHD Tv has a smart tv built in. There is no need to use a console to stream UHD content when your 4K tv will do the same thing plus much more. This is where a 4K Native bluray player would be nice when it comes to the PS4 Pro. Bottom line for Sony not to put a Native 4K Bluray player in the PS4 Pro for the people with 4K HDR tv's, HDR being key here is a huge mistake imo.. Hopefully Sony will eventually upgrade & put a Native 4K player in..

I'm not even talking about Native 4k here. Heck, i heard the Xbox One S is kinda bad at 4K, sure even if it up-scales or not, least i know i can plop my 4k movies into it and it will play them. To me that's attractive, it's one of the reasons why i got a PS3 years back because it played Blu-rays, which meant i didn't have to buy a Blu-ray player. PS2 same deal, all my movies were VHS, i got a PS2, found out that hey! this thing can play DVDs too. (I think the first DVD i got was Return of the King) and i was blown away. PS3 same deal, i can chuck Blu-ray into it and it's awesome. PS4p? Nope, Regular Blu-rays only. Hugeeeee mistake.. Granted the move to HD from SD was a slow one., but in comparison majority of people have HD TVs, even if they aren't capable of 4k, future proofing your console is important, and with the PS4pro not supporting 4K native or least the ability to watch 4K movies even if it up-scales regardless of TV. IT's gonna force Sony to have to Re-release the console 6-12 months down the line. The only reason why i'm not buying a Xbox one S is not because i'm a SSony fanboy, quite the opposite, i'll go with whatever console has the features i'm looking for. But i'm not paying out 2 online subscriptions at once which spreads my Library thin.

4K Tv's have already come down to the 1000$ mark. My 4k 55" TV costed me 1200$ and it was on sale. My old 1080p 37" TV was 799$ but that was back in 2011. They're not future proofing the PS4pro, thus They're competing against themselves really.

On a funny side note, wouldn't it be ironic if the NX could play 4K movies haha.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

People here complaining about 4k TV's/content are absolute fucking morons, do you even know what 4k TV statistics are?

http://fortune.com/2016/06/02/your-next-tv-purchase-will-almost-certainly-be-a-4k-tv/

10 fucking percent for the whole of the US and they are expecting 34% as of 2019.

IF that trend continues worldwide, that's only ~13 million people worldwide in 2019 YEAH 3 FROM NOW. And of those people, not everyone is going to be a gamer or get a PS4P, so satisfying 1/3 of the population is pointless and a waste of money.

We'll probably see a PS5 by 2020 or something with a 4k player, for all the whiny kids here.

thingta42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By thingta42

@GTR12 said:

People here complaining about 4k TV's/content are absolute fucking morons, do you even know what 4k TV statistics are?

http://fortune.com/2016/06/02/your-next-tv-purchase-will-almost-certainly-be-a-4k-tv/

10 fucking percent for the whole of the US and they are expecting 34% as of 2019.

IF that trend continues worldwide, that's only ~13 million people worldwide in 2019 YEAH 3 FROM NOW. And of those people, not everyone is going to be a gamer or get a PS4P, so satisfying 1/3 of the population is pointless and a waste of money.

We'll probably see a PS5 by 2020 or something with a 4k player, for all the whiny kids here.

Ask yourself how many people had DVD players when DVDs came out? Or How many people were still using SDTVs when PS3s/Xbox360's came out. Consoles give a lot of people reason to get the new TVs or media to play them on. It's up to the manufacturers to give people a reason to upgrade in the first place.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 GTR12

@thingta42 said:
@GTR12 said:

Ask yourself how many people had DVD players when DVDs came out? Or How many people were still using SDTVs when PS3s/Xbox360's came out. Consoles give a lot of people reason to get the new TVs or media to play them on. It's up to the manufacturers to give people a reason to upgrade in the first place.

I had a HDTV well before PS3, it was back to PS2 actually in 2000. The US population actually didn't like 16:9 TV's, they wanted 4:3, people wont upgrade.

I gave you hard facts, 4k TV's will only be at 34% penetration by 2019.

Redskins4045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Redskins4045

@GTR12: 4K TV's have been around since 09 I believe. It's 2016 and the lack of 4K streaming content on major Apps like Netflix that you can watch on consoles is pathetic though it will get better. Now I have wayyyy more options or Apps on my 4K Smart tv that won't see the light of day on consoles. One other thing when it comes to streaming is that you're gonna need a decent internet connection. Who cares what Fortune predicts. Those are not facts. Facts are things that are indisputably the case or actuality. Decent UHD tvs are cheap these days. For a console that wants to represent 4K HDR gaming why would it not implement a native 4K player. If you go by what Fortune "says" in 2019 4k players will be $100 at most and 4K will be the standard in most cases not all. I just think it's a mistake for Sony to not put a Native 4K player in their new "4K HDR" console. Again HDR being the big thing here. If you can afford a PS4 Pro already owning a PS4 you can afford a 4K HDR tv. @Thingta42 .. The Xbox One S 4K HDR player looks and plays great on my HDR UHD tv.

Shrek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Shrek
Member since 2015 • 387 Posts

@thingta42: obviously you don't know the first thing about the specs. This PS4 has double the cores. But nice try.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 GTR12

@redskins4045: Its called PS4 Pro, not PS4k or PS4 only 4k. It has benefits at 1080p as well you know.

Also, all "apps" support 4k, even 8k, but there is no 4k content, let alone BD movies, there's <100 in the 7 years of having a 4k TV.

Games cant even do 1080p 60 FPS 99% of the time yet and people want 4k... yeah dream on. Sony are smart not to include 4k BD player, theres no bloody content nor do enough people have 4k sets.

Redskins4045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Redskins4045

@GTR12: All I been saying is IMO it's a mistake Sony is not putting a Native 4K player in the PS4 Pro. Just about everyone that owns a UHD tv agrees. No shit It won't run triple A games at Native 4K! Your talking over a Grand on video cards alone to run the real deal. It will upscale games with the added power and along w/ the HDR it will render a better image. It's not even capable of running every triple A games at 1080p 60fps. Just that alone that would be nice. It will however run some Indie games in Native 4K. Big deal!! Stop being a goon bro. "All apps support 4K". Agains No shit! The console in this case sends a 1080p image to the UHD and the tv upscales the signal. I'm guessing only 5% of content in Netflix is UHD and none of them are newer movies except Adam Sandler's. He has a contract w/ Netflix to do 5 movies that will only be seen on Netflix. Its's in the little section labeled UHD. My tv has a few more apps or services that present UHD shows/movies but you have to pay for each one individualy which blows. There is a difference between upscale and native UHD. You know that. Here's basically the difference. A upscalled image basically goes through a process that increases the pixel count of the lower resolution image, allowing it to be formatted properly for the increased image space. It adds smoothness to the image in other words. There is no amount of upscaling that will be able to duplicate the clarity of a Native 4K image period. PS4 Pro being the ladder like we all know. I have owned UHD since the beginning so stop acting a fool. I will say this one last time...... It would of been nice if Sony followed Microsoft's suite with the Xbox One S since the ps4 &amp; PS4 Pro are HDR capable consoles now &amp; come with a UHD player in the Pro. HDR by the way being the big thing hear. It gives us the consumer who own HDR UHD TV's more options and it will help the people who can't get a fast enough internet connection to stream a Native 4K image from Netflix limited choices. The clientele for a UHD Bluray player are for those that can't get a fast enough connection to stream from a service. Watching movies in Native 4K with HDR is amazing!!

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By GTR12

@redskins4045: Instead of that $399 USD price tag, lets see you pay $499 for the PS4P then, we all saw how the $599 USD launch went for the PS3.

And use paragraphs, makes it a lot easier to read.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@sukraj said:
@SolidTy said:

Well, the PS4 Pro is releasing next month and they needed to keep the price affordable. Any comparisons to future holiday 2017 machines would have to take into consideration the time difference and the price.

That said, I stated this 100x times, but I was never getting these mid gen .5 console upgrades...I'll wait for PS5/XbTwo instead.

I'm content with my current model PS4/Xbones.

I'm not buying into it either I'm more than happy with my PS4 lol

Agreed. :P

Redskins4045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Redskins4045

@GTR12: They could of added the 4K player and still charged $399 for the Pro. It just wasn't in the original plans and it was too late for them to add it after Microsoft released the S for $299. So I heard anyway. It's no coincidence that Xbox One console sales are up 100% since the Xbox One S dropped. People want that Native 4K HDR Bluray player at the very low price Microsoft is selling it for. I already owned the OG Xbox One so I bought the $299 500gb Xbox S model using my 3TB External HD.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 GTR12

@redskins4045 said:

@GTR12: They could of added the 4K player and still charged $399 for the Pro. It just wasn't in the original plans and it was too late for them to add it after Microsoft released the S for $299. So I heard anyway. It's no coincidence that Xbox One console sales are up 100% since the Xbox One S dropped. People want that Native 4K HDR Bluray player at the very low price Microsoft is selling it for. I already owned the OG Xbox One so I bought the $299 500gb Xbox S model using my 3TB External HD.

Maybe in your world, do pigs fly there and do you poop chocolate?

In the real world, you cant just add more without the price going up. Sony opted to increase the base storage while MS went for specs, whats your point? this isn't SW, so talking about other systems is considered a no-no.

My PS4 has a 6TB drive, so?

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#30 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

@GTR12 said:
@redskins4045 said:

In the real world, you cant just add more without the price going up. Sony opted to increase the base storage while MS went for specs, whats your point? this isn't SW, so talking about other systems is considered a no-no.

How did you do that? You can't find a 6TB 2.5'' harddisc that fits into the small slot. Did you use a 3.5'' adapter? If so, how do you avoid all the resume play problems that come with HDs bigger or equal to 4TB?

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 GTR12

@ArchoNils2 said:
@GTR12 said:

How did you do that? You can't find a 6TB 2.5'' harddisc that fits into the small slot. Did you use a 3.5'' adapter? If so, how do you avoid all the resume play problems that come with HDs bigger or equal to 4TB?

I really don't want to derail the thread so I'll just post 1 response.

Its a 3.5" HDD, not just 1 either, its 12 TB in total, shared amongst PC/PS3/PS4 and a whole bunch of other stuff. All PS4's have a SATA HDD, so I just got a male/male SATA cable and connected that to a SATA controller on my PC (the PS4 sits on my PC for this reason), I then control how much or how little space my PS4 has access to, I do need to trick the PS4 into only thinking it has 2TB (4 now I know, I just cant be bothered changing it) or it wont work.

I have no idea what the resume/play problems are, but my method is a little complicated but it works well, its been fine since 2010 so I probably wont change it.

Only downside is, I have to have my PC on to play my PS4, not that it uses much power or anything, it just sits there.

Redskins4045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Redskins4045

@Archo: No and yeah. My buddy works in the industry. He told me Sony wanted to add it but couldn't do it in the time frame allowed since they started production already. Do I care? Nah homie. Would it of been nice for the people who want it who don't have a 4K player? Sure. Lol....

TheFlush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#33 TheFlush
Member since 2002 • 5965 Posts

I stopped consuming physical media completely about 2 years ago. So to me it's absolutely no problem at all that the PS4Pro lacks a 4D bluray player. Everything I read, watch, listen or play is digital.