PS4 Always connected Policy change?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

RaTCa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By RaTCa
Member since 2016 • 3 Posts

Anyone else notice an issue getting games to load unless they are signed into their PSN account? Recently I just noticed two games (MXGP & Valentino Rossi the Game) that use to work without any problem with my PS4 not connected now require that the system be logged into the PSN.

After the main intro screen both of the games just display a please wait screen and that's it. Offline modes, online modes, nothing is available until you sign into PSN. I've tested. I close the game sign into PSN and start the games and they load to the main menu like they use to. If I disconnect from PSN and start the games again they don't load.

This isn't cool. Sony benefitted from the negative press Microsoft got when they first announced Xbox One would require always connected before you could play games. No it seems like Sony may be sneaking that very policy into their system

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

@ratca: Are these digital games and/or on a second PS4?

RaTCa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By RaTCa
Member since 2016 • 3 Posts

These are disc games no digital. Up until recently everything was fine, so I'm guessing one of the last couple of PS4 updates changed this. It isn't a question of DLC or multiplayer either. Basically the game won't load the menu screen unless signed into PSN. It's a repeatable issue. close game sign in to psn open game everything is fine. close game sign out of psn and open game game doesn't load after intro screen. So in order to play either of these games I have to sign into PSN which isn't something I want or plan to do. If this is a new policy from Sony then I'll be selling my PS4 and not buying anymore Sony products

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

@ratca: I don't have either of those games, but all my disk based games work fine offline without signing in.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

I took my machine offline and I tested about 20+ games, they all work offline. I tested almost all games from 2016 as well.

It could be those publishers/developers require (not Sony, but rather the dev) or changed something, because I don't have those two games you own.

It sounds to me like you might not have your PS4 set to primary and are toggling between multiple PS4s.

Also, welcome to Gamespot! I noticed you only have three posts and created your account hours ago. Have fun.

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#6 MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

That would only happen if you sign in on another PS4 because it happened to me. I was downloading games on my 2nd PS4 and when I took it offline, the games wouldn't play until I logged back online.

Dave462a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Dave462a
Member since 2015 • 142 Posts

Is your PS4 is set to primary console you can check by

select Settings PlayStation Network/Account Management Activate as Your Primary PS4 Activate

Have you tried reinstating your license you do this by

Select Settings PlayStation Network/Account Management Restore Licences