Prince_Denspion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 Prince_Denspion
Member since 2004 • 2748 Posts

So all I've done is buy games on disc, only game I've downloaded is Injustice gods among us. However when I went to play DA:I I got a message that my storage was almost full. I found that I had over 400GB of used space with just game installs from the disc mind you and a few apps. I was very surprised but I think I'll need to upgrade to a 1TB drive as full as it's getting after only having the system a few months. I know see why the HDD is so easily accessible lol. Anyways still loving my PS4!

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

You can delete the install of games you do not play regularily, the progress is saved.

Avatar image for Prince_Denspion
Prince_Denspion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Prince_Denspion

@raugutcon: That's what I did, that freed up a lot of space.

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#4 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

Thankfully games install in a matter of seconds usually (at least from what I've experienced). So it should be very manageable to just delete older games as the HDD gets full. And returning to a deleted game would, again, only take seconds to be ready to play again. So that's why I don't plan on replacing my HDD any time soon, if ever at all. Then again, digital games could become a problem if I ever accumulate many of those as it would take much longer to have to re-download an entire game.

EZs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 EZs
Member since 2005 • 1573 Posts

Some games are huge, 50gb for games like ACU and GTAV.

Good thing you can remove/install very quickly.

marcheegsr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By marcheegsr
Member since 2004 • 3115 Posts

When I first got my ps4 im like wow 500 gb ill never fill it up and a year later I already having to delete games I don't play because its full. But ya its good that it deletes and installs quick unlike the ps3 which is a nightmare when it fills up.

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

I said this right from the off when the 500gb drives were confirmed, and it's only taken a year and there full, I totally get uninstalling games to make space, makes perfect sense, but I honestly believe they should of bit the bullet and just gone with a 1TB straight from the off, so people like me who love collecting and not worrying about space, esp only a year in and i've already had to delete a few games already. but the simple fact is, they made changing hard drives a breeze so you can just stick a 2TB HDD inside and the speeds don't change all that much, still runs smoothly.

Prince_Denspion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Prince_Denspion

@marcheegsr: I never filled up my original PS3 60GB hard drive, although they didn't install every game either. I think I'm going to go ahead and swap it out with a 1 or 2 TB hard drive.

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#9 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

Lol the updates still take forever I know cause I deleted gtav cause I was having problems and I'm still installing an update lol

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@Prince_Denspion: Yep, I knew this before launch. That's why you upgrade the HDD which is really cheap and easy. I did the same with my PS3s many years ago.

Avatar image for jasonredemption
jasonredemption

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 17

#11 jasonredemption
Member since 2010 • 691 Posts

@raugutcon said:

You can delete the install of games you do not play regularily, the progress is saved.

This is true, however this also deletes patches ETC. which can take a long while to download & install. I'm upgrading to a 2TB HDD as soon as it arrives from Amazon.

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#12  Edited By Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

Yep I have 15 retail PS4 disc games and my PS4 500GB HDD is just about full just with game data. By contrast the PS3 40GB model I filled up with 41 retail game data installs. I have used both PS3 and PS4 for just games.

This 8th Generation of game data installs eats up HDD space much faster. The PS4 HDD is full with just 15 retail disc games and all of the "free" PS plus games. I have only bought 2 other downloadable games Sound Shapes and OctoDad.

I'll use some extra thumb drives and an external HDD. but games have gotten larger this gen.

_Judas_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#13 _Judas_
Member since 2004 • 785 Posts

Most games are around 50Gb and will probably get bigger. At the time I only have a couple games installed, but still only have 100 Gb free...Is there a way to free up space?

Avatar image for WolfgarTheQuiet
WolfgarTheQuiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

User Lists: 6

#14 WolfgarTheQuiet
Member since 2010 • 483 Posts

@Prince_Denspion: PS4 doesnt play games from disc. Everything gets installed on hdd.

Honestly pick up 1TB sshd from Seagate. Better than normal hdd but with ssd component as well.

Once you install it, turn on and off your console few times, then access store few times so it gets stored as priority on ssd part of the drive.

WolfgarTheQuiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 WolfgarTheQuiet

@_Judas_: Well you delete games you finished and dont feel like playing again. i did that on PS3 since i was lazy to upgrade hdd until it was late in its life. Got 1TB Seagate sshd few days back.

PenKowalski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 PenKowalski
Member since 2014 • 619 Posts

Mine is almost full and wish they would support external storage. Way much better and easier to deal with than dealing with the process of replacing the internal drive.

Prince_Denspion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Prince_Denspion

@WolfgarTheQuiet: but yet requires the disc to play the games installed to the HDD, at least give us the option to install or stream from the disc. Either way I'm going to be getting a 1 or 2 TB HDD for my PS4.

WolfgarTheQuiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 WolfgarTheQuiet

@Prince_Denspion: It doesnt bother me that i need to insert disx to play the game of hdd. For one, i dont want to cut the laser life by streaming game from the disc. And the reason for needing the disc, its different security check than with digital.

WolfgarTheQuiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By WolfgarTheQuiet

@gregdale: Has to be 2.5 laptop size drive. The one i have is not full ssd its a Seagate 1TB sshd hybrid. AUS $145

I guess you are aware of the price for ssd drives. i will transfer to full ssd when hey cost as much as the current ones :D

Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#21  Edited By Articuno76
Member since 2004 • 19799 Posts

@SoNin360 said:

Thankfully games install in a matter of seconds usually (at least from what I've experienced).

This is where things get messy with re-installs as you aren't installing just the beginning portion of the game (so the rest can install in the background as you play the opening levels), you actually have to install the entire game sequentially so that all the assets (levels, voice and so on) that your save file requires can be be installed.

I got a new PS4 just yesterday (so we have two in the house) and found I couldn't access a Dragon Age: Inquisition save . I'd choose "Continue" and get the same "This game is still installing" message for around 30-40 minutes. If I had to guesstimate I'd say a full install of a 50GB game takes around an hour. But again, that's a guess as there's no way to track percentage chance of install to my knowledge.

SemiMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 81

#22 SemiMaster
Member since 2006 • 19011 Posts

Reminds me of the 20/60 gb on 1st gen ps3s.

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 SoNin360

@Articuno76: So, in short, you're saying that it takes longer to re-install a game compared to installing it for the first time? If so, I wasn't aware of that and that's a bit discouraging if true for all games. I was actually thinking I could get by with the default hard drive indefinitely due to how fast the installations have been...

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 MethodManFTW
Member since 2009 • 26516 Posts

@WolfgarTheQuiet said:

@gregdale: Has to be 2.5 laptop size drive. The one i have is not full ssd its a Seagate 1TB sshd hybrid. AUS $145

I guess you are aware of the price for ssd drives. i will transfer to full ssd when hey cost as much as the current ones :D

black friday sales are insane on ssds. 1tb samsung ssd for like 300?

500gb for like 200... and they come with Far Cry 4 for PC too.

WolfgarTheQuiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 WolfgarTheQuiet

@MethodManFTW said:

@WolfgarTheQuiet said:

black friday sales are insane on ssds. 1tb samsung ssd for like 300?

500gb for like 200... and they come with Far Cry 4 for PC too.

Thats true but thats still expensive. SSD or not i dont see a point in getting either if its 500GB which is not enough for digital or disc based games.

rmorris003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By rmorris003
Member since 2015 • 6 Posts

Nyko has a hard drive adapter that you can get to allow regular hard drives

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/nyko-s-databank-allows-ps4-to-read-bigger-cheaper-/1100-6424501

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@Prince_Denspion:

I got a 2TB HDD for my Batman PS4 and installed it super easy. I saw this space issue coming a mile away since launch 2013.

You can also do what my cousins, brothers, and friends do and just delete installs of games you aren't currently playing. Installs are easy to manage and are quick to install on PS4.

----

Dang it, this is a really an old necro thread! As I scrolled through the comments I see an old post of mine from eight months ago.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

I don't even see the point in needing to upgrade. Just delete installs of games you aren't using. They are quick to install and it's not like you're playing all of your games all the time. And leave video,photo,crap storage for PC, that's what they're for. That's my advice anyway.

d_parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 85

#29 d_parker
Member since 2005 • 2128 Posts

@SOedipus: They're not all quick to install. Killzone requires you to download the 6GB of maps before you can play online. Only real solution is to get a bigger HDD or be content with less games.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#30 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

@raugutcon said:

Yeah that's what I do. Problem with that is, all the updates get deleted with the install, and given the large amount of updates games have these days, that really can add up fast.

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 SoNin360

Old topic but that said I've since realized that update files are an issue to the whole "you can quickly re-install the game" reasoning. Of course, how significant of a downfall to this would be how fast your internet connection is and how large the update file is. But I still do plan on just deleting older game installs as I get close to filling up my HDD.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#32 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

Same thing here, the thing can't hold all of my games so I've had to delete quite many already. I need a bigger HDD lol.

Blizzard2188

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Blizzard2188
Member since 2015 • 121 Posts

While I upgraded my PS4 to a 1.5TB HDD at launch, I have found the PS4 is very quick to install games from a disc and found it easy to delete some of my older games. Now on my X1 is a different story as they take so long to install that I am very careful on what I delete. But also though, if you have P.T. DON'T DELETE IT, as you won't be able to re download it again.

But if you do have lots of games you jump around on and don't want to reinstall or re download patches, I do suggest upgrading the HDD. In the case of something like P.T. delete everything you can and then backup to a USB Stick or USB HDD. This way you get to keep it. If you don't have P.T., and nothing from the capture gallery, just swaps drives.

I believe it's Nyko that has a new accessory that lets you use 3.5 inch HDD's, so you can get up to 4 TB of storage I believe. I have heard anything higher may cause issues, but I have not personally tested this as I don't have it.

ALPINE6SPD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 ALPINE6SPD
Member since 2015 • 6 Posts

I want a 2 TB HDD. Which one would you guys recommend and now much is it. I want wants best bang for the buck. Don't mind paying a little more for a decent brand but don't need top of the line. Thanks for the help.

isturbo1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 isturbo1984
Member since 2015 • 660 Posts

Upgraded a while ago. I had this problem with the digital-only games. i know I can just delete the ones I am not playing, but I don't like to save my digital titles... digitally. I like to keep them on hard drive.

d_parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 85

#36 d_parker
Member since 2005 • 2128 Posts

@alpine6spd said:

I want a 2 TB HDD. Which one would you guys recommend and now much is it. I want wants best bang for the buck. Don't mind paying a little more for a decent brand but don't need top of the line. Thanks for the help.

My friend just got this HDD (and I'll get it later this week) and he's had no problems:

http://blog.macsales.com/27555-owc-announces-2-0tb-hard-drive-upgrade-kit-for-playstation-4

Paid around $165.00 CDN after taxes and shipping. A bit more than I'd like to have spent but couldn't find anything cheaper at the time of ordering it.

cashwarrior1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 cashwarrior1
Member since 2017 • 1 Posts

I have just got my new PS4 with 500GB's and it is already 50GB's from being full. Only 6 games too,

Avatar image for deactivated-58bd60b980002
deactivated-58bd60b980002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 1

#38 deactivated-58bd60b980002
Member since 2004 • 2016 Posts

Yeah this is also my problem but it took a year before it became a problem ...

Final Fantasy XV, DOOM and Witchers 3 ... take all too much space ...

FF15 is a 50gb even with the disc

DOOM is a 46gb with a 28gb of "patch"

Witchers 3 was pretty much like DOOM ...

It is ridiculous !!!

So I bought a new HDD. 1To and had to reinstall all the patchs but at least now I have some space ... And I know I could delete some games and reinstall them later but then you have to redownload the patch ... if you wait long enough the patch get stupidly big like in the case of DOOM and Witchers 3 ...

wildhoney66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By wildhoney66
Member since 2008 • 324 Posts

i'm picky on what i what i buy which is why i never have 50 or 60 games for systems. i Rarely buy digital games. but i've had my PS3 since (2010) and that's still not full. mine is the 2nd model. my ps4 i have only had since May and that's an easy one to tell ya which one i bought. that one i think isn't full yet. i guess the longer games like DOOM take a lot of space because it's a huge game more or less if you also count the updates

Johnny_Rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Johnny_Rock
Member since 2002 • 40314 Posts

I hate uninstalling games. That's why I installed a 3TB drive instead.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9394 Posts

500GB is tiny

Nightd720ad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Nightd720ad
Member since 2017 • 18 Posts

I got a 2 tb and got around 65 games on it with 180 gb left. Saving that for southpark fbw, horizon zero dawn, and re 7. Btw i go digital for 90% of my games unless just hard to find or cheaper to try used games at gamestop then take back before 7 days.

PutASpongeOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 PutASpongeOn
Member since 2014 • 4897 Posts

The only really mainstays on my ps4 are disgaea 5, dead nation apocolypse edition, towerfall ascension, and valiant hearts: the great war.

The middle 2 because couch co op is something you should always have ready and they are fun. I'm sure I'd keep alienation on it as well.

2tb is pretty huge though, I have that on my gamimg pc and I pretty much have all my games downloaded.

But yeah, really just have a few games you love playing and a few couch co op games and you're good, games like dishonored 2 don't have to stay on there unless that's one of the games you love playing. Play a game that's decent, take it off.

Or get 2tb and download EVERYTHING

Avatar image for deactivated-5938196c2bbcb
deactivated-5938196c2bbcb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 deactivated-5938196c2bbcb
Member since 2013 • 344 Posts

You have bad luck. Luckily, deleting them should be relatively easy.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

3 year old necro

soul_starter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By soul_starter
Member since 2013 • 1377 Posts

@Prince_Denspion: How many games do you have on there?

I have the whole Uncharted collected, Fallout 4, The Witcher 3 and all expansions, PES 2016, COD, Mad Max, MGSV and that DC Online (never play it) along with at least 6 or 7 demos, all the normal apps (netflix, BBC etc) along with all teh saved data for ALL those games. I might be missing a game or two and I only just got a memory message, which led me to deleting a couple demos. That's it. I haven't had memory full issues other than all that.

Edit: also I've got Watchdogs 3 (the 3 hour trial but haven't had a chance to play it). I think that was a 30-40gb install.