PS3-PC Let's Play?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

el1tegaming18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 el1tegaming18
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
I'm not too sure if this is the right forum or the right section for this question, but I'm curious if theres a way to do a walkthrough of a game on my PS3 using my laptop that has fraps, what would I need to buy? I have a mic for audio reasons but as far as video reasons I wouldn't know, any help?
jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

I'm not too sure if this is the right forum or the right section for this question, but I'm curious if theres a way to do a walkthrough of a game on my PS3 using my laptop that has fraps, what would I need to buy? I have a mic for audio reasons but as far as video reasons I wouldn't know, any help?el1tegaming18

You'll need a video capture device that hooks up to a PC. Run the PS3 through the capture device with the video running on the PC. Use FRAPS to do the actual video capture. Obviously, you'll need to use component cables for the PS3-capture device hook up. I think the capture device chokes with HDMI.

Or....... if you're cheap like I am, I lowered the res of my PS3 to SDTV res and hooked up my PS3 to a DVD recorder. I then recorded the gameplay to DVD+RW and played it back on the PC. I can then capture the video file and edit it, adding narration if I wished.

Sample:

KZ3-Cap-6.jpg

UC2Cap-20.jpg

They're small-sized videos. But, it's good enough for me.

Edit:

Oh. There should be black bars on top and bottom. But, I edited the screenshots and removed the black bars. The videos will have them.

Chaos_Bladez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 Chaos_Bladez
Member since 2007 • 5801 Posts
I have a capture kit. It was like $100 which wasn't too bad. The videos I shoot are in my signature so you can judge their quality, which is 720p.
jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 jun_aka_pekto

I have a capture kit. It was like $100 which wasn't too bad. The videos I shoot are in my signature so you can judge their quality, which is 720p.Chaos_Bladez

What is your capture kit? I've been trying to find one which did HD and didn't cost close to $200.

el1tegaming18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 el1tegaming18
100$?200$$???? I was thinking more along the lines of 30-50$...there's no way to hook up my ps3 with the laptop with some sort of cable and then just have fraps record not the monitor but the tv?
jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 jun_aka_pekto

100$?200$$???? I was thinking more along the lines of 30-50$...there's no way to hook up my ps3 with the laptop with some sort of cable and then just have fraps record not the monitor but the tv?el1tegaming18

If you want to record video or capture screenshots at 1280x720 (720p) and output them at 720p, it's going to cost you. Some will capture at 720p but will output at a lower (SDTV) resolution.

This one is HD but will only work with a desktop PC. It's $102 at newegg.com. I'm seriously considering one. External ones are more expensive.

15-100-049-Z05?$S300W$

AVerMedia AVerTV HD DVR MTVHDDVRR

For your price range, your only options are SDTV-resolutions only. Their capture quality probably wouldn't be any better than the images I captured using my DVD recorder.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 jun_aka_pekto

Here's a thought...... If you have a DVR (with HD quality) at home, you can try hooking up the PS3 via component cable and see if you can capture PS3 HD footage with it.

el1tegaming18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 el1tegaming18
Alright yeah, I guess Ill try that, thanks
pspitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

#9 pspitus
Member since 2006 • 2397 Posts

Buying a game capture device for your ps3 is probably the best way to go, do sum research and I'm sure you can find one around $100. I bought an avermedia recording device about a month ago and it works perfectly. :)

But of course, when I bought it off amazon it was only $130 at the time, now it's $200. :x

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 jun_aka_pekto

Alright yeah, I guess Ill try that, thanksel1tegaming18

The caveat to that is it may not work. It should work at least with the older fat PS3's which I have. I can't vouch for newer models. Sony may try to block recording on its newer devices.

For example, I can record the XMB user interface of my fat PS3. But, when I tried recording the XMB interface of my BDP-S185 Blu-ray player (using the same DVD recorder, it wouldn't let me.

Let me know how it turns out. If it works, I may get a DVR and try it myself. :lol:

el1tegaming18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 el1tegaming18
Didn't work, thanks though