PS3 YLOD'd on me again!!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Nerkle01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 Nerkle01
Member since 2007 • 1254 Posts
So my 60GB launch PS3 ylod'd again on me after I had it fixed. So I shut it down after the 3 blinking lights and I'm letting it cool on me. Only problem is inFAMOUS 2 and all my game data is all stuck in it. So I'm going to let it cool a little while then I'm gonna turn it on and get my game out. Anything else I can do? Any other recomdations besides getting a new one? Cuz I'm working on that
stevenk4k5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 stevenk4k5
Member since 2005 • 5608 Posts
If you're not afraid to open your console (and if your console is out of warranty), you can try fixing it yourself. Open up the console, clean out any dust that may have settled in the chassis, and buy you a tube of Arctic Silver 5 or some comparable thermal compound to replace the old thermal compound that's on the RSX and Cell. Did this with my PS3 that was experiencing overheating issues and I haven't had a problem since.
Nerkle01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Nerkle01
That's true. But it lasted almost 7 monthes with the shop fix so..
Avatar image for deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
Member since 2009 • 6176 Posts

Best option is to get a PS3 Slim. It's just going to keep happening again and again no matter who fixes it. The common cause of the YLOD isn't the thermal compound or dust. It's the lead free solder under the GPU and CPU thats cracking up over time due to the heat which causes them to lose contact with the motherboard. All the repair guy probably did for you was melt the solder so it sets back into place. It's the exact thing Sony does.

Re-applying thermal paste might delay the YLOD but it's going to happen eventually again. There is no permanent fix. Unless ofcourse the YLOD was caused by another hardware issue.

Gxgear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Gxgear
Member since 2003 • 10425 Posts

Backup your files with PSN+, as for the YLOD I'd let it cool and if it turns on trade it into retail maybe.

Nerkle01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Nerkle01

Backup your files with PSN+, as for the YLOD I'd let it cool and if it turns on trade it into retail maybe.

Gxgear
LMFAO! I'm about to do that.. >:0
razorMDshooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 razorMDshooter
Member since 2008 • 549 Posts
[QUOTE="Gxgear"]

Nerkle01
LMFAO! I'm about to do that.. >:0

LOL YEA SCREW GAMESTOP, just dont sell it on EBAY that would be cruel.