PS3 Yellow Light of Death Symptoms?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by bigboss1203 (1885 posts) -

Hey, my PS3 has been getting a little warm within an hour-hour and a half of gameplay, and sometimes, when i shut the system off it will blink at make some beeping noises, then turn off. Are these signs that my PS3 might bite the dust and get the YLOD, help is apreciated.

#2 Posted by Doolz2024 (9623 posts) -
I've heard that PS3s tend to freeze a lot before getting YLOD. I'm not sure if that's true, though. Have you had any problems with freezing, in addition to the other things you listed?
#3 Posted by cluclap (888 posts) -
Uh-oh, you might want to google those symptoms...
#4 Posted by JudgementEden (2832 posts) -
You shouldn't have anything to worry about. Sometimes the PS3 can do that. The symptom you REALLY have to look for is if your system turns off by itself while playing, that's what mine did. If it does that, eject your game, deactivate your PSN Account from your system, and backup any saves you may have. Do that, and do it ASAP, and you MAY save what's important.
#5 Posted by PStringa (315 posts) -
You shouldn't have anything to worry about. Sometimes the PS3 can do that. The symptom you REALLY have to look for is if your system turns off by itself while playing, that's what mine did. If it does that, eject your game, deactivate your PSN Account from your system, and backup any saves you may have. Do that, and do it ASAP, and you MAY save what's important.JudgementEden
Some of the best advice you could hear, after you made backups etc. and you wish to continuing using it until it finally dies just remember to ALWAYS take the disk out after playing. My 60GB recently contracted the awful YLOD however my brother's a bit of a technician and he was able to fix it.
#6 Posted by It_is_I (624 posts) -

In addition,I clean (once a month) my PS3 with my vaccum cleaner and wipe it down. I have had my 60GB since launch...no problems.

[QUOTE="JudgementEden"]You shouldn't have anything to worry about. Sometimes the PS3 can do that. The symptom you REALLY have to look for is if your system turns off by itself while playing, that's what mine did. If it does that, eject your game, deactivate your PSN Account from your system, and backup any saves you may have. Do that, and do it ASAP, and you MAY save what's important.PStringa
Some of the best advice you could hear, after you made backups etc. and you wish to continuing using it until it finally dies just remember to ALWAYS take the disk out after playing. My 60GB recently contracted the awful YLOD however my brother's a bit of a technician and he was able to fix it.

#7 Posted by newhighscore (2037 posts) -

does the slim get the YLOD? i dont even think it has a yellow light...

#8 Posted by bigboss1203 (1885 posts) -
I've heard that PS3s tend to freeze a lot before getting YLOD. I'm not sure if that's true, though. Have you had any problems with freezing, in addition to the other things you listed?Doolz2024
I've heard that PS3s tend to freeze a lot before getting YLOD. I'm not sure if that's true, though. Have you had any problems with freezing, in addition to the other things you listed?Doolz2024
nope, the only time its frozen on me was a couple months ago during a resistance 2 online match. Thats it never has it froze on me prior to that or since then.
#9 Posted by donalbane (16383 posts) -
Before mine got the yellow light, it would shut down mid game. (Overheating, I imagine.) Then when I turned it on again, it would go for a little bit then shut down again. If this happens, eject the disc, let it cool down for a long while, and turn it on and back up any save games you don't want to lose forever. Wish I had done this.
#10 Posted by maxcollyer12 (25 posts) -
hi, my ps3 just stoped working whilst playing mw3, do not know what has happened thanks!
#11 Posted by maxcollyer12 (25 posts) -
happened to mine aswell i have mw3 in there is there any way i can get it out!!!! :-(
#12 Posted by maxcollyer12 (25 posts) -
no i was just playing mw3 and stopped no problems before
#13 Posted by maxcollyer12 (25 posts) -
i cant even turn mine on to do anything it comes on with green light for about 1 second then goes a yellow greeny light!
#14 Posted by Shooterman1970 (25 posts) -
sounds like u just bricked ur ps3. mine did the same thing i sent mine to Gophermods they fixed it sent my same unit back with the disk in less than a week for under a hundred dollars hell of a lot better than sony.