PS3 Surround Sound Issue...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

tyuzfuny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 0

#1 tyuzfuny
Member since 2004 • 666 Posts
Alright, so I've had my PS3 for around 2 months now, and I've really been enjoying it. It's a great console with lots of compelling features. Up to this point, I've been using it primarily for movies, only playing the occasional game. The main reason for that is the surround sound isn't working in the games, although everything else is fine. I'm using an optical cable and have TrueDolby 5.1 as the setting that's checked off... I can only get audio to come out if I select the HDMI option to have it come out of the TV... Any idea what I can do to fix this? Thanks...
lordray1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 lordray1000
Member since 2005 • 57 Posts
What software update are you running?
tyuzfuny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 tyuzfuny
What software update are you running?lordray1000
The latest one... Why do you ask?
theru8543

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 theru8543
Member since 2009 • 94 Posts
i have a similar problem...i have a dolby 5.1 surround sound system and my PS3 is setup with HDMI cables but when i configure my sound settings...it does not pick up the 5.1 and when i pick it, it doesnt work.
tyuzfuny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 tyuzfuny
i have a similar problem...i have a dolby 5.1 surround sound system and my PS3 is setup with HDMI cables but when i configure my sound settings...it does not pick up the 5.1 and when i pick it, it doesnt work.theru8543
That's strange... Anyone have an idea how to solve the problem?
superkoolstud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 superkoolstud
Member since 2004 • 2800 Posts
i have a similar problem...i have a dolby 5.1 surround sound system and my PS3 is setup with HDMI cables but when i configure my sound settings...it does not pick up the 5.1 and when i pick it, it doesnt work.theru8543
Is your HDMI going from your PS3 to your TV? If So thats why. It needs to go through your Surround System then to your TV. Or you need to buy an Optical cable and run it from your PS3 to your surround system and choose your sound to output thru Optical.
tyuzfuny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 tyuzfuny
[QUOTE="theru8543"]i have a similar problem...i have a dolby 5.1 surround sound system and my PS3 is setup with HDMI cables but when i configure my sound settings...it does not pick up the 5.1 and when i pick it, it doesnt work.superkoolstud
Is your HDMI going from your PS3 to your TV? If So thats why. It needs to go through your Surround System then to your TV. Or you need to buy an Optical cable and run it from your PS3 to your surround system and choose your sound to output thru Optical.

Ya, I have the optical cable going from the surround sound system to the ps3 and it's not working... I'm so frustrated...
THE_BRUTALIZER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#8 THE_BRUTALIZER
Member since 2008 • 3488 Posts
[QUOTE="tyuzfuny"]Alright, so I've had my PS3 for around 2 months now, and I've really been enjoying it. It's a great console with lots of compelling features. Up to this point, I've been using it primarily for movies, only playing the occasional game. The main reason for that is the surround sound isn't working in the games, although everything else is fine. I'm using an optical cable and have TrueDolby 5.1 as the setting that's checked off... I can only get audio to come out if I select the HDMI option to have it come out of the TV... Any idea what I can do to fix this? Thanks...

I think its just the games themselves....sometimes i will hear the occaisonal surround sound effect, but for the most part i can usually only hear it coming from the front. Screw around with the audio. sometimes i can get it to work that way. good luck.
superkoolstud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 superkoolstud
Member since 2004 • 2800 Posts
Well Im unsure about TruDolby HD, But I know Optical doesn't have enough bandwidth to support PCM 5.1 and 7.1 and both will only work with HDMI. It could be the reason.
tyuzfuny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 tyuzfuny
Well Im unsure about TruDolby HD, But I know Optical doesn't have enough bandwidth to support PCM 5.1 and 7.1 and both will only work with HDMI. It could be the reason.superkoolstud
Alright, that helps... Thanks!
Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50676 Posts
[QUOTE="superkoolstud"]Well Im unsure about TruDolby HD, But I know Optical doesn't have enough bandwidth to support PCM 5.1 and 7.1 and both will only work with HDMI. It could be the reason.tyuzfuny
Alright, that helps... Thanks!

You can't get Dolby TrueHD using optical at all, that's why you're not getting surround sound.
GreyFoXX4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 GreyFoXX4
Member since 2008 • 3612 Posts

Once you have selected the optical audio in the audio settings, go to video settings and put hdmi audio to linear pcm, and set optical audio to bitstream. This will give as I would callit juice to your optical audio to surround sound and less to the hdmi carrying sound to your tv.

You will also have to have a surround sound receiver that allows trudolbyhd, and in which case it should also have a hdmi input. If you do have that then you really shouldn't have a issue running hdmi from ps3 to surround sound for your hd audio.

But if not then just do optical and use the settings I posted first.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Chutebox

Once you have selected the optical audio in the audio settings, go to video settings and put hdmi audio to linear pcm, and set optical audio to bitstream. This will give as I would callit juice to your optical audio to surround sound and less to the hdmi carrying sound to your tv.

You will also have to have a surround sound receiver that allows trudolbyhd, and in which case it should also have a hdmi input. If you do have that then you really shouldn't have a issue running hdmi from ps3 to surround sound for your hd audio.

GreyFoXX4
While using Ps3, you don't need a receiver that supports/decodes Dolby TrueHD because the Ps3 does the decoding and sends it via pcm. All you need is a receiver that has a HDMI input.
GreyFoXX4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 GreyFoXX4
[QUOTE="Chutebox"][QUOTE="GreyFoXX4"]

While using Ps3, you don't need a receiver that supports/decodes Dolby TrueHD because the Ps3 does the decoding and sends it via pcm. All you need is a receiver that has a HDMI input.

I'm not sure of that, think pcm is just uncompressed audio not actually trudolbyhd audio. PS3 says supports trudolbyhd and DTShd audio, just like other Bluray players but yet you still need a Receiver that decodes that info, just like dobly digital. Just because you have a receiver with optical in doesn't always mean your reciever decodes the dolby digital signal and may just be getting dolby surround and not dolby digital. I'll definitly look into this cause if that is the case that you are mentioning that would definitly save me some money on my next receiver lol.
GreyFoXX4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 GreyFoXX4

Just looked this up actuallybut sounds like Pcm is Uncompressed audio, while trudolbyhd and dtshd formatsare lossless audio codecs. Uncompressed is bit for bit what the studio made,while lossless audio is compressed but your receiver extracts that to make it basically bit for bit same as studio. So basically Pcm uncompressed and trudolbyhd anddtshd audio is all equal to the other. So now just a fact whether or not your receiver does both or not just incase a movie provides only one of these formats, either pcm uncompressed or a hd audio codec that compresses and your receiver extracts it. But by reading that article if the choice is there I would still go with Uncompressed pcm audio, just old fashion I guess lol.

tyuzfuny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 tyuzfuny

GreyFoXX4
If I do that, though, how will I run HDMI to my TV to get it for my picture... Would I have to use component cables then? Cause the PS3 only has one HDMI port... Thanks for the help!
jl1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 jl1080
Member since 2006 • 52 Posts
If your receiver accepts HDMI inputs, then just connect your PS3 to the receiver and then run a HDMI cable from your receiver to the TV. That should work. If you don't have a receiver that accepts HDMI inputs, then connect the HDMI cable from your PS3 to the TV, then run an optical wire from your PS3 to the receiver. Adjust the audio settings on your PS3 to optical cable. That should work...
Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Chutebox

Just looked this up actuallybut sounds like Pcm is Uncompressed audio, while trudolbyhd and dtshd formatsare lossless audio codecs. Uncompressed is bit for bit what the studio made,while lossless audio is compressed but your receiver extracts that to make it basically bit for bit same as studio. So basically Pcm uncompressed and trudolbyhd anddtshd audio is all equal to the other. So now just a fact whether or not your receiver does both or not just incase a movie provides only one of these formats, either pcm uncompressed or a hd audio codec that compresses and your receiver extracts it. But by reading that article if the choice is there I would still go with Uncompressed pcm audio, just old fashion I guess lol.

GreyFoXX4

Linear PCM is the signal when the player decodes the information and sends it. Bitstream is when the player just sends the raw data to the receiver and it decodes the information.

If you want uncompressed or DTSHD/Dolby TrueHD, you have to use HDMI and have the Ps3 decode it and send it via PCM. The receiver does not have to support those formats because it's not doing anything. All it's doing is relaying the information to the speakers. But again optical can't send either way because it's too large for it, HDMI is needed by the receiver in this case, but not the ability to decode the HD versions.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Chutebox
[QUOTE="GreyFoXX4"]

tyuzfuny
If I do that, though, how will I run HDMI to my TV to get it for my picture... Would I have to use component cables then? Cause the PS3 only has one HDMI port... Thanks for the help!

Quick questions, does your receiver have HDMI inputs and if so how many, and does it have an HDMI output?