PS3 sound question

This topic is locked from further discussion.

kungfuchaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 kungfuchaos
Member since 2004 • 5643 Posts
I am a bit confused over what sound setting I should be using for my PS3. I am running the sound through a OPTIC CABLE, so should I set to Linear PCM or Bitstream? Thanks!
budboarder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#2 budboarder
Member since 2005 • 2304 Posts
Blurays are encoded in Linear PCM.
kungfuchaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 kungfuchaos
Member since 2004 • 5643 Posts
Adding to my earlier question, why is it that games play in Dolby Digital, but for some strange reason Bluray movies only come through in Prologic? Kinda weird Id say!
TheCyberKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 TheCyberKnight
Member since 2003 • 804 Posts
If you're running Optical, you won't see any difference between Bitstream and Linear PCM. While Optical supports up to 5.1, HDMI supports 7.1 uncompressed. Linear PCM is meant for HDMI and 7.1 systems.
Alex4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 Alex4
Member since 2002 • 104 Posts

Blurays are encoded in Linear PCM.budboarder

Huh? Are you saying that blu-ray movies that are encoded with DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD audio are decodedby the PS3 and then outputted as linear PCM? What do you mean? Your answer needs to be more specific)

Anyway... the preferred audio/sound output setting would be BITSTREAM, for the most part. If you want to hear Dolby Digital 5.1 audio or DTS 5.1 audio from DVD movies, games, etc. use bitstream. If you want to hear the "next-gen audio" (i.e. DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD) from blu-ray movies, make sure you have an HDMI cable going from PS3 to "next-gen compatible" receiver and another HDMI cable going from that receiver to the TV. The PS3 will decode the "next-gen audio" internally and then output it via HDMI (and only HDMI, not optical) to the receiver as multi-channel linear PCM audio.

For starters try the Onkyo TX-SR605 or Sony STR-DG 720. They both can handle the multichannel linear PCM audio that the PS3 will spit out through HDMI.

I hope that helps ya, pal :)

Alex4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Alex4

Blurays are encoded in Linear PCM.budboarder

Huh? Are you saying that blu-ray movies that are encoded with DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD audio are decodedby the PS3 and then outputted as linear PCM? What do you mean? Your answer needs to be more specific)

Anyway... the preferred audio/sound output setting would be BITSTREAM, for the most part. If you want to hear Dolby Digital 5.1 audio or DTS 5.1 audio from DVD movies, games, etc. use bitstream. If you want to hear the "next-gen audio" (i.e. DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD) from blu-ray movies, make sure you have an HDMI cable going from PS3 to "next-gen compatible" receiver and another HDMI cable going from that receiver to the TV. The PS3 will decode the "next-gen audio" internally and then output it via HDMI (and only HDMI, not optical) to the receiver as multi-channel linear PCM audio.

For starters try the Onkyo TX-SR605 or Sony STR-DG 720. They both can handle the multichannel linear PCM audio that the PS3 will spit out through HDMI.

I hope that helps ya, pal :)

Alex4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Alex4

Adding to my earlier question, why is it that games play in Dolby Digital, but for some strange reason Bluray movies only come through in Prologic? Kinda weird Id say!kungfuchaos

What receiver are you using?

Alex4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Alex4

Adding to my earlier question, why is it that games play in Dolby Digital, but for some strange reason Bluray movies only come through in Prologic? Kinda weird Id say!kungfuchaos

What receiver are you using? ... or better yet ... How is your receiver configured to handle your bitstream? ... Oh I get it:! It's not your receiver ... it's your PS3's audio settings. Try this:

1) Go to "BD/DVD settings" under SETTINGS in the PS3 XMB.

2) Scroll down to "BD Audio Output Format (Optical Digital)" and select "Bitstream"

that's it ... note: Make sure you select the Dolby Digital 5.1 or DTS 5.1 soundtrack when watching the blu-ray movie.

ninjatim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ninjatim
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

Hi, i'm in dire need of helping setting up my PS3 with my onkyo tx-sr605. I have set it up to use ps3 -> Hdmi -> Receiver -> Hdmi -> TV.

I can watch films via blu ray which is good and games output great 7.1. However, i don't get any sound when i'm using the XMB. Music (MP3), Trailers i've downloaded via the PSN store, Films i've made through the PS3 Eye camera, all have no sound. I tried to watch 'Friday' the other day on regular DVD and it had no sound either. I don't understand, some normal DVDs don't output sound where some others have. Can anyone help please!!!!!!:cry: