dewc1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 dewc1
Member since 2005 • 725 Posts

I know they have discontinued production of the ps3 in some countries, but I wonder if the system has been quietly gone out of production. I live in central illinois and you cannot find a new ps3 anywhere in town (except Target has one 12GB left). I asked Best Buy today, and they told me that they would only be receiving refurbished ones from now on. Anyone know for sure if this is nationwide?

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

@dewc1: Maybe in the US lol, but there's still production everywhere else.

spaceboy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 spaceboy21
Member since 2009 • 744 Posts

@dewc1: I was wondering the same thing as my slim ps3 has been having problems freezing and there are barely any new to be found. I got same story from the game stops about not getting more new ones. Anyways check gamestop online or in stores, their price was $219 which is way better than the few bundles left on amazon.

I had been expecting a price drop and a longer tail on production like the ps2 had but I think they are quietly stopping production perhaps to encourage getting ps4 and use psnow for ps3 games.

dewc1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By dewc1
Member since 2005 • 725 Posts

@spaceboy21: I think you are right. Sony probably cannot wait to be free of the Cell chipset in the system. Not sure what their bill of materials is on the ps3, but I'm sure the cell chip still isn't very cheap.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@dewc1: Officially the PS3 is still being produced. Eventually they will stop producing, but as of now it's still being made...and just had a huge, healthy xmas.