PS3 on computer monitor with NO HDMI INPUT

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by rakan959 (422 posts) -

I'm trying to run my PS3 on my computer monitor, and I think I might have found a way to do it. Do you think this will work?

I'll use an HDMI cable to get the video output from the PS3 and a standard component (red yellow white) cable to get the audio. I heard there was a way to set HDMI video and component audio, so that's what I'm going to try to do.

I have an HDMI -> DVI adapter that came with my VGA card on my computer that I don't use, so I would hook that up, DVI side, to the monitor, and then hook up the PS3's HDMI cable to it. That should provide video to the monitor.

Then, I would take the component cables and hook them up to an audio rig I have from when I hooked my 360 up to my computer monitor. It changes the red and white audio cables from the component in to a 3.5mm audio jack that I can hook up to my monitor's speakers.

Could this setup work?

#2 Posted by FFOwner (136 posts) -
why even bother? it's better to just play it on the telly.
#3 Posted by GodofBigMacs (6440 posts) -
I have a set up just like that. It works fine.
#4 Posted by jdc6305 (4843 posts) -

I did the same thing. Iused an cable that had hdmi on one end and dvi on the other. It wasn't cheap I paid $50 for the cable. Since my monitor didn't have audio I ran the AV cable from the PS3 to my standard def tv.

#5 Posted by liamabob (1723 posts) -
[QUOTE="FFOwner"]why even bother? it's better to just play it on the telly.

how do you know? For all you know, his monitor could be much better than his TV? On topic; Yes. The setup should work fine.
#6 Posted by ChaltierX (1128 posts) -

Found this site while trying to help my friend do the same thing. It might help, maybe.

http://www.overclock.net/playstation/191028-how-play-your-ps3-through-your.html