This topic is locked from further discussion.

cog2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 cog2k
Member since 2007 • 125 Posts

Hey guys. I have been saving up to get a PS3 and I want to play it on my computer monitor in my room. I was wondering if it would work better if I plugged the component cables into my tv tuner card and played through the computer, or buy an hdmi to dvi cable and played directly through the monitor. I am open to any other suggestions. Thanks

Duckman5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Duckman5
Member since 2006 • 18934 Posts

HDMI to DVI for sure. That way the signal is still digital all the way. You can find a good priced one here. It just depends how long you need the cable and thickness, etc.

Denji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 Denji
Member since 2003 • 12757 Posts

HDMI/DVI all the way. Just have the audio going through the AV cables.

budboarder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#4 budboarder
Member since 2005 • 2304 Posts
i agree with the others, dont go analog.
thelastguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 thelastguy
Member since 2007 • 12030 Posts

Yep, use HDMI/DVI

JohnM1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 JohnM1983
Member since 2009 • 483 Posts

Get the converter and plug it directly into your monitor. (My monitor has HDMI)
For sound use the component cable and plug it into the back of your sub (AUX In) with another converter (L R to Stereo)
I use Optical right into my sound card. Unless you have a DD 5.1 decoder in your soundcard you wont get 5.1 but i find it sounds better than the stereo jack.

You can set the PS3 video and audio to different outputs.

I also plug component into my TV card to record game play videos.
The quality is extremely noticeable.

1337h4xx0rz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 1337h4xx0rz
Member since 2008 • 314 Posts

Well guys, dont you think it really depends as well on how big his computer monitor is?

I mean, if its like 22 to 24 inches, there wont be that much (if any) difference if he used his component cables.

JohnM1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 JohnM1983

Well guys, dont you think it really depends as well on how big his computer monitor is?

I mean, if its like 22 to 24 inches, there wont be that much (if any) difference if he used his component cables.

1337h4xx0rz

Yes but he wants to input componant into his TV card not directly into the monitor.
The quality loss is noticeable. Unless you have a HD capture device (HDMI) which are extremely expensive.

1337h4xx0rz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 1337h4xx0rz
Member since 2008 • 314 Posts

[QUOTE="1337h4xx0rz"]

JohnM1983

Yes but he wants to input componant into his TV card not directly into the monitor.
The quality loss is noticeable. Unless you have a HD capture device (HDMI) which are extremely expensive.

Gotcha. Didnt know that actually.

JohnM1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 JohnM1983

Heres 2 screenshots at full screen with componant into my TV Card...
576I SD on my componant cable to TV card.

WalterPeck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 WalterPeck
Member since 2007 • 371 Posts

Running your PS3 into your computer to view on your computer screen via component video is going to be your best bet. Trying to plug it in via HDMI or DVI will require an additional capture card, and that that point you're better off buying a second monitor instead. Obviously you'll want to make sure that your capture card can take component INPUT properly. Not Component output, not composite in/out.

catfishmoon23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 catfishmoon23
Member since 2005 • 5197 Posts

Running your PS3 into your computer to view on your computer screen via component video is going to be your best bet. Trying to plug it in via HDMI or DVI will require an additional capture card, and that that point you're better off buying a second monitor instead. Obviously you'll want to make sure that your capture card can take component INPUT properly. Not Component output, not composite in/out.

WalterPeck

Is he trying to just play his PS3 on his monitor, or is he wanting to capture videos of playing his PS3?

If it's the first option, he'd be better off with an HDMI/DVI cable and running the regular A/V cables to his speakers.Before you buy the cable though, make sure your monitor is HDCP compliant. Not all monitors with DVI are.

If it's the latter option, your advice would be the best.

WalterPeck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 WalterPeck
Member since 2007 • 371 Posts

[QUOTE="WalterPeck"]

catfishmoon23

Is he trying to just play his PS3 on his monitor, or is he wanting to capture videos of playing his PS3?

If it's the first option, he'd be better off with an HDMI/DVI cable and running the regular A/V cables to his speakers.Before you buy the cable though, make sure your monitor is HDCP compliant. Not all monitors with DVI are.

If it's the latter option, your advice would be the best.

Agreed. HDMI/DVI capture on a PC is still quite pricey.