PS3 not recognizing external hard drive?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by SilverChimera (9256 posts) -

hey, im trying to backup my data on my ps3 to my external hard drive. i plugged it in (usb) and its not recognizing it (its FAT32). any help would be appreciated.

#2 Posted by ASRCSR (2793 posts) -

Check to see if your computer recongizes it. Then you know its not broken

#3 Posted by SilverChimera (9256 posts) -

ASRCSR
yeah, my pc recognizes it without problems. thats how i know its FAT32.
#4 Posted by MarcRecon (8144 posts) -

ASRCSR

Agreed, because if the PS3 isn't reconizing afat32 formatted HDD, it must be broken(HDD)

#5 Posted by SilverChimera (9256 posts) -

[QUOTE="ASRCSR"]

MarcRecon

Agreed, because if the PS3 isn't reconizing afat32 formatted HDD, it must be broken(HDD)

my computer recognizes it. i think the ps3 recognizes it too. when i plug it in, a little swirly thing in the top right corner appears (the one when you plug something in). but when i try to backup data, it tells me to insert a usb drive.
#6 Posted by MarcRecon (8144 posts) -

[QUOTE="ASRCSR"]

SilverChimera

Hmmm, the only other suggestion I have is to try another HDD, if the PS3 still doesn't reconize fat32 formatted HDD then you'll know something is wrong with the PS3.

#7 Posted by SilverChimera (9256 posts) -

[QUOTE="SilverChimera"][QUOTE="ASRCSR"]

MarcRecon

Hmmm, the only other suggestion I have is to try another HDD, if the PS3 still doesn't reconize fat32 formatted HDD then you'll know something is wrong with the PS3.

does the HDD have to be completely formatted? because i think it was fat32 by default.
#8 Posted by MarcRecon (8144 posts) -

[QUOTE="MarcRecon"]

[QUOTE="ASRCSR"]

SilverChimera

my computer recognizes it. i think the ps3 recognizes it too. when i plug it in, a little swirly thing in the top right corner appears (the one when you plug something in). but when i try to backup data, it tells me to insert a usb drive.

If the PS3 did reconoze it the HDD icon would pop-up in your movie, picture and music columns.

#9 Posted by MarcRecon (8144 posts) -

[QUOTE="MarcRecon"]

[QUOTE="SilverChimera"] yeah, my pc recognizes it without problems. thats how i know its FAT32.SilverChimera

does the HDD have to be completely formatted? because i think it was fat32 by default.

As long the HDD is fat32 formatted, the PS3 should have reconized it.

#10 Posted by SilverChimera (9256 posts) -

[QUOTE="SilverChimera"][QUOTE="MarcRecon"]

MarcRecon

If the PS3 did reconoze it the HDD icon would pop-up in your movie, picture and music columns.

then, no it didn't. but an icon appeared on the top right of the screen (where the clock/batter charge level indicator is) when i plugged it in. and then it disappeared.
#11 Posted by Shaggy_online (375 posts) -

when you put your hard-drive on ps3 u have to press triangle then select show all .. i think it was something like that

#12 Posted by SilverChimera (9256 posts) -

when you put your hard-drive on ps3 u have to press triangle then select show all .. i think it was something like that

Shaggy_online
but it doesn't even show the hard drive icon on the PS3.
#13 Posted by MarcRecon (8144 posts) -

[QUOTE="MarcRecon"]

[QUOTE="SilverChimera"] my computer recognizes it. i think the ps3 recognizes it too. when i plug it in, a little swirly thing in the top right corner appears (the one when you plug something in). but when i try to backup data, it tells me to insert a usb drive.SilverChimera

then, no it didn't. but an icon appeared on the top right of the screen (where the clock/batter charge level indicator is) when i plugged it in. and then it disappeared.

Hmmm, I never seen that happen before.... because if the PS3 was reading it correctly is should have pop-up in your media colomns. As I said before...try another HDD.

#14 Posted by SilverChimera (9256 posts) -

MarcRecon

Hmmm, I never seen that happen before....as I said before because if the PS3 was reading it correctly is should have pop-up in your media colomns. As I said before...try another HDD.

dont have another one. :( this is my only external hdd.
#15 Posted by MarcRecon (8144 posts) -

[QUOTE="MarcRecon"]

[QUOTE="SilverChimera"] then, no it didn't. but an icon appeared on the top right of the screen (where the clock/batter charge level indicator is) when i plugged it in. and then it disappeared. SilverChimera

Hmmm, I never seen that happen before....as I said before because if the PS3 was reading it correctly is should have pop-up in your media colomns. As I said before...try another HDD.

Trying another HDD is the only way to tell where the problem is....you don't know someone who could let you borrow theirs or you could also use a cheapthumb drive

#16 Posted by SilverChimera (9256 posts) -

MarcRecon

Trying another HDD is the only way to tell where the problem is....you don't know someone who could let you borrow theirs or you could also use a cheapthumb drive

i have a USB flash drive, and that works with the ps3.
#17 Posted by mishumo (25 posts) -
It will show the HDD as a USB Device; I am using a terabyte HDD; formatted it with fat32formatter into FAT32 - then plugged it in; I went to Backup - and it will give u the option to backup on the USB device.
#18 Posted by starwarsjunky (24765 posts) -
i would suggest to format it again yourself, just to make sure it is. maybe something happened when they did at the factory?
#19 Posted by WorldOfHurt (5397 posts) -

This happened to me. I had to reformat the drive using SwissKnife. A low-level format was required.

Mine was supposed to be FAT32 as well, so I guess some formatters are not complying with the absolute letter of the FAT32 requirements.

The PS3 should be a bit more lenient as well though :roll: