Ps3 Lifespan? (phsyically)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

xHazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 xHazy
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

Does anyone know about how long a PS3's lifespan should be before it starts to get problems? Has Sony said anything? I'm thinking about buying a used one thats about 8 months old but I wanna make sure it won't crap out soon...

My playstation1 still works (though it refuses to read some disks) after.... 7 years? and my Ps2 is still working after 4 so i'm hoping Sony did as good a job with the ps3 as they did in the past.

Anyone have one 2+ years old still working perfectly?

ChiSoxBombers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 ChiSoxBombers
Member since 2006 • 3700 Posts
ive had my 60 gig since launch and it still works like a charm (knock on wood). i think the ps3 is too young to determine its lifespan. heck my ps1 and ps2 still work like they did many moons ago. i would have to say that the ps3 is here to stay for a loong time. unless you abuse it.
zowbaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 zowbaid
Member since 2005 • 388 Posts

I've had mine for about two years and it works good. the thing about it is that you can't have it in a closed space because it needs room to breathe, only problems I've had with it is that it sometimes freezes when I hook up my mic during online play and that would force me to restart my PS3, but other than that it's great. Just remember to leave it in a wide open space, no small confined spaces.

rayjapan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 rayjapan
Member since 2006 • 231 Posts

Does anyone know about how long a PS3's lifespan should be before it starts to get problems? Has Sony said anything? I'm thinking about buying a used one thats about 8 months old but I wanna make sure it won't crap out soon...

My playstation1 still works (though it refuses to read some disks) after.... 7 years? and my Ps2 is still working after 4 so i'm hoping Sony did as good a job with the ps3 as they did in the past.

xHazy

Mine is just over 1 year and yes, I know what you mean -- I have a PS1 and a PS2 and both are still working. There are a couple of differences with the PS3 and one is that it has a hard disk. Hard disks are notorious for being the first thing that fails on a PC because the disc moves so much under normal operation. The other problem is that there have been complaints of the PS3 overheating. That is rare, but still happens (a few percent chance?). if the person you are buying it from did not take care of it well, then it is hard to say if it will break soon from either of these two problems.

These two problems do not exist for the PS1 and PS2 since neither had a hard disk and neither overheated (AFAIK). Personally, I wouldn't ask your question to Sony...I would ask yourself how much do you trust the person you are buying from. Since you are now getting it used, Sony and the PS3's reliability do not matter...

Good luck!

_rpg_FAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 _rpg_FAN
Member since 2005 • 1418 Posts
[QUOTE="xHazy"]

Strange, because both psx and ps2 are known to break a lot my psx broke at least 5 times and now im bored of fixing it
zowbaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 zowbaid
Member since 2005 • 388 Posts
I forgot to mention that I travel with my ps3 alot, so that means it probably gets banged up a couple times in my luggage. I'll tell you, I'm not worried at alla bout it breaking, its sturdy and powerful. Works like a charm. I love my PS3.
Puscifer_No1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Puscifer_No1
Member since 2006 • 2769 Posts
[QUOTE="xHazy"]

In regards to your topic title, it all depends on the gamer. Are you careful and well domesticated or are you simply to lazy to even take a static-free cloth to it and just let it sit in dead human skin?
Blue_Namek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Blue_Namek
Member since 2004 • 47 Posts
[QUOTE="_rpg_FAN"][QUOTE="xHazy"]

Strange, because both psx and ps2 are known to break a lot my psx broke at least 5 times and now im bored of fixing it

No they are not.I have had my PS2 for nearly 8 years and my brother still has a working PSX from launch.You probably didn't take good care of them. PS3 is just as reliable as the first 2.
xHazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 xHazy

Thanks for the input guys :)

probably will buy the used system

centuriongilbz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 centuriongilbz
I m trying to get hold of a ps3 60-gig and when ive looked at the life span of it else were it seems to last 2 years before suffering from the ylod (yellow light of death) does anyone here own a 60 gig and if so how long have you had it for and has it had any problems thanks gilbz
ultra_bob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ultra_bob
Member since 2007 • 29 Posts

I've had my PS3 since February 15th 2008 and it still works great. No problems at all

Cactus_Matt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 Cactus_Matt
Member since 2008 • 8604 Posts

PS3 since launch, no problems. *touch wood*

theMarshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 theMarshell
Member since 2008 • 602 Posts
Personally I wouldn't buy a used system simply because you don't know what the person before you did too it. I dunno if you are having money troubles but either way I would suggest holding off and getting a new one.
justified615

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 justified615
Member since 2007 • 704 Posts

The PS3 is a BEAST, my friend. A well built beast at that. I got my PS3 in 2007 and it's still going strong. Still playing games perfectly, still getting online easy, still meeting my expectations to the fullest. The only problem I have is, when I get on the browser sometimes it freezes and I have to restart the system. The PS3 should give you the value for your buck whether you buy it new or used, but taking care of your purchase could add some more years to the already long lifespan.

Jakesta7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#15 Jakesta7
Member since 2007 • 2472 Posts

The PS3 is a BEAST, my friend. A well built beast at that. I got my PS3 in 2007 and it's still going strong. Still playing games perfectly, still getting online easy, still meeting my expectations to the fullest. The only problem I have is, when I get on the browser sometimes it freezes and I have to restart the system. The PS3 should give you the value for your buck whether you buy it new or used, but taking care of your purchase could add some more years to the already long lifespan.

justified615

This^

The PS3 is just so well-made, it will last for a long while. But i still would not buy a used system, unless u get a warranty on it or something.

istuffedsunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#16 istuffedsunny
Member since 2008 • 6991 Posts
Since the PS2 first came out it only died on me once. Sony's much better with hardware than MS, don't worry
Avatar image for ___gamemaster__
___gamemaster__

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ___gamemaster__
Member since 2009 • 3347 Posts
i thought of the same thing too.. my ps3 sometimes freezes in the middle of the game and scared as hell if it broke or not.. but luckily its still ok until now..
Sokol4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#18 Sokol4ever
Member since 2007 • 6717 Posts

If you're planning to get it used, it should be fine as long as previous user didn't do any damage to it.

My friend got refurbished 40Gig PS3 and it plays like a charm for over a year now. The sad part is, he doesn't really take care of his electronics but even his original PS2 is still working. In the state he keeps it in, I have no clue how it still works.

PlayStation 3 is remarkable machine, it very well build. ;)

Avatar image for deactivated-59506133570df
deactivated-59506133570df

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#19 deactivated-59506133570df
Member since 2007 • 10348 Posts

Forever if you treat it right, my PS2 and PS work flawlessly and I've never had work done on them.

Sylar--

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Sylar--
Member since 2009 • 259 Posts

xHazy
i really hope that the lifespan wont be too much longer sony says that u buy it today and it will last you 10 years but in 10 years it will be restrictive to developers 10 years we better have ps4 at least if not ps5 and it better be some pretty intense sh!P xbox 1080 by then id bet cause u know, really. already these console gettin old man i mean its been 5 or more years already i think 2010 is the year of the ps4 and the xbox 540 who is with me?!
godoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#21 godoo
Member since 2005 • 932 Posts

sony said it has a 10 year life span

but i guess you mean how long will it last...depends on how much you play on it, no real answer here

ravenguard90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ravenguard90
Member since 2005 • 3064 Posts

Well, I've had mine since launch (the 60 gig) and it still runs okay... I can't say I use it a lot, just the occasional KZ or RB2 session here and there. But yeah, mine's in a very large space, and I've semi-dusted it just once (cleaned the vents, wiped the dust on the outside, etc.)

Avatar image for deactivated-59506133570df
deactivated-59506133570df

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#23 deactivated-59506133570df
Member since 2007 • 10348 Posts

[QUOTE="xHazy"]

Sylar--

i really hope that the lifespan wont be too much longer sony says that u buy it today and it will last you 10 years but in 10 years it will be restrictive to developers 10 years we better have ps4 at least if not ps5 and it better be some pretty intense sh!P xbox 1080 by then id bet cause u know, really. already these console gettin old man i mean its been 5 or more years already i think 2010 is the year of the ps4 and the xbox 540 who is with me?!

I'm not with you, I don't want the PS4 until 2015, I've made a large investment in my PS3 and I want my investment to last for a long time.

redskins2156

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 redskins2156
Member since 2007 • 2553 Posts

I'm currently on my second 60gb ps3. The first one broke because I accidentally left it on when I went to work.8hrs later I come back home, and I'm like "omg I left my ps3 on", than I'm like "meh it'll be okay". I played for an hour or so, and I got really hungry. I went down stairs to get something to eat, and when I came back upstairs my ps3 was turned off. I tried turning it back on, the green light came on, than it went to yellow for a second, than blinking red. And so far with my current 60gb ps3 i've had no problems at all (knock on wood). I usually take a 15-20 break every hour so the same thing doesn't happen. And so far so good (knock on wood).

coolkid93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#25 coolkid93
Member since 2007 • 6749 Posts
I have a 60GB and I've had it for over 2 years and it still works like I just got it. Proper electronic care makes it lasts a LOOOONG time. :P
crashndash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#26 crashndash
Member since 2007 • 1171 Posts
i had mine since release date in japan which was like 2006 or something and it still works perfectly and mine has traveled around the world with me so even with the flights its in perfect condition.
horseheadllama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 horseheadllama
Well, I've only had mine since like July, but I've had my PS2 since it like came out and I have a Sony computer also that has lasted me almost 9 years, so I trust that Sony makes good machines and that the PS3 will last as long as they say as long as its taken care of.
cmpepper23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#28 cmpepper23
Member since 2005 • 3281 Posts

I've had mine since launch and haven't had any problems. I've left it on for 2 days straight folding without any hiccups. I would say it's a pretty reliable console.