PS3 HDD replacement right out of the box

This topic is locked from further discussion.

trastamad03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 trastamad03
Member since 2006 • 4859 Posts

Hello people :D

Quick question, I was just wondering, would 750GB - 1TB HDD 2.5" 7200rpm - 10000rpm be alright for a PS3? or would it cause problems, like performance issues or overheating or something like that? What's the max a PS3 can take?

If it's fine, I'm guessing it's better to get a 160GB version that's bundled with games and such and ditch the HDD and replace it with the new one. Can I do it before even plugging to my tv fresh out of the box or do i need to do something before for the Bios or w/e?

hiryu3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#2 hiryu3
Member since 2003 • 7313 Posts
they don't recommend higher than 5400rpm but if you are fine with the consequences of possible overheating if something goes wrong then go for it. If you upgrade right out of the box you will need to pull down the most recent firmware and have it on the new drive or on a standalone drive
360hammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 360hammer
Member since 2009 • 2596 Posts

I'm pretty sure 1 gig is the limit. As for the 7200 RPM drive, they do run hotter but alot of people have installed them. Me personally, the minute difference in read write times doesn't out weigh the price savings and cooler temp of a 5400 RPM drive which is recommended by Sony. I think the post above is trying to tell you to have a USB thumb drive formatted FAT32 with the most recent firmware on it which can be downloaded from Sony's web site.

Yes, you can put the new drive in right out of the box. Better that way because you don't have to run a back up or recovery of your saves and stuff.

trastamad03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 trastamad03

OK Sweet, thanks guys :) I'd rather just get a 5400rpm one then. I don't really get the firmware thing though, shouldn't the PS3 format and stuff on it's own? I'm guessing the firmware is the PS3 OS? Sorry, I'm a newb :C never owned a "new" console before. I do have a PS2 now though, but only for Persona 3/Fes and Persona 4... and PS2 doesn't have these features. Also, when I "install" a game onto the hard drive, do I still need the Blu-Ray disc to start it up or I can just choose from the menu? I don't really like to swap discs in and out, kinda wears them out and they get scratched and stuff :c

lil_speedy_rvd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 lil_speedy_rvd
Member since 2003 • 527 Posts

Also, when I "install" a game onto the hard drive, do I still need the Blu-Ray disc to start it up or I can just choose from the menu? I don't really like to swap discs in and out, kinda wears them out and they get scratched and stuff :c

trastamad03
Yep you are going to have to put in the Game disc every time you want to play your game, watch a bu-ray etc.
trastamad03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 trastamad03

[QUOTE="trastamad03"]

Also, when I "install" a game onto the hard drive, do I still need the Blu-Ray disc to start it up or I can just choose from the menu? I don't really like to swap discs in and out, kinda wears them out and they get scratched and stuff :c

lil_speedy_rvd

Yep you are going to have to put in the Game disc every time you want to play your game, watch a bu-ray etc.

Then what's the point in having my games on the HDD? Are load times really that bad with the discs?

hiryu3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#7 hiryu3
Member since 2003 • 7313 Posts

OK Sweet, thanks guys :) I'd rather just get a 5400rpm one then. I don't really get the firmware thing though, shouldn't the PS3 format and stuff on it's own? I'm guessing the firmware is the PS3 OS? Sorry, I'm a newb :C never owned a "new" console before. I do have a PS2 now though, but only for Persona 3/Fes and Persona 4... and PS2 doesn't have these features. Also, when I "install" a game onto the hard drive, do I still need the Blu-Ray disc to start it up or I can just choose from the menu? I don't really like to swap discs in and out, kinda wears them out and they get scratched and stuff :c

trastamad03
The firmware was originally saved in memory like a motherboard but to allow ingame XMB they freed that space up to and moved the firmware to the harddrive, This is why you will need the firmware on another drive if you replace the drive.
boostud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 boostud
Member since 2004 • 1242 Posts

[QUOTE="lil_speedy_rvd"][QUOTE="trastamad03"]

trastamad03

Then what's the point in having my games on the HDD? Are load times really that bad with the discs?

Its a way to prevent piracy...not a big deal. It also saves your optical drive from being worn down and decreases load times.
trastamad03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 trastamad03

Its a way to prevent piracy...not a big deal. It also saves your optical drive from being worn down and decreases load times.boostud
I see, makes sense... OK well, time for me to look out for those bundle packs for the PS3 :D

Thanks a bajillion :D

360hammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 360hammer
Member since 2009 • 2596 Posts

[QUOTE="boostud"]Its a way to prevent piracy...not a big deal. It also saves your optical drive from being worn down and decreases load times.trastamad03

I see, makes sense... OK well, time for me to look out for those bundle packs for the PS3 :D

I'm not so sure about the anti piracy thing but a little research will show a hard drive will read a whole lot faster than a BR drive. A great example of this would be Killzone 2, there is no data installed to the hard drive and the game does loading on the fly so in certain areas the game will tend to stop for a brief moment. It's not horrible by any means it just annoys me when people complain about large game installs. Another example would be MGS4, 5 gig install but seamless gameplay with no loading.

trastamad03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 trastamad03

[QUOTE="trastamad03"]

[QUOTE="boostud"]Its a way to prevent piracy...not a big deal. It also saves your optical drive from being worn down and decreases load times.360hammer

I'm not so sure about the anti piracy thing but a little research will show a hard drive will read a whole lot faster than a BR drive. A great example of this would be Killzone 2, there is no data installed to the hard drive and the game does loading on the fly so in certain areas the game will tend to stop for a brief moment. It's not horrible by any means it just annoys me when people complain about large game installs. Another example would be MGS4, 5 gig install but seamless gameplay with no loading.

Hehe, thanks for the clarification. I never meant to sound like I'm complaining about installing games on the HDD, I mean c'mon, I'm a PC Gamer, I install 20GB games on my HDD (cough) Shogun 2 (cough), 5GB installs are nothing.