PS3 HDD Corruption

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Dion4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Dion4ever
Member since 2008 • 680 Posts

A few weeks ago, my PS3 60GB had something called a HDD Corruption and apparently needed to be rebuilt. Same thing happened to my friend and his friend. It seems to be a common problem and I had my PS3 for almost a year. Now it is in Sony's hands and I should be getting a whole new PS3 60GB (they said they would make sure) soon.

But anyway, I was wondering, is there anyway to use another storage of memory without using the HDD. Because if it doesn happen again can't I take the HDD out and play the PS3 without using the HDD?

Also when I have taken the HDD out can I use a SD card or a USB stick to save my game memory? Therefore I wouldn't need a HDD at all just a big SD card?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Avatar image for killing_for_fun
killing_for_fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 killing_for_fun
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
i dont know.
Dion4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Dion4ever
i dont know. killing_for_fun
That was helpful!
Avatar image for killing_for_fun
killing_for_fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 killing_for_fun
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
[QUOTE="killing_for_fun"]i dont know. Dion4ever
That was helpful!

would you like me to make some story up?
Dion4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Dion4ever
[QUOTE="Dion4ever"][QUOTE="killing_for_fun"]i dont know. killing_for_fun
That was helpful!

would you like me to make some story up?

Just need proper help that's all, but thanks for your post anyways!
Handin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Handin
Member since 2004 • 423 Posts

A few weeks ago, my PS3 60GB had something called a HDD Corruption and apparently needed to be rebuilt. Same thing happened to my friend and his friend. It seems to be a common problem and I had my PS3 for almost a year.

Dion4ever

Well, first off let me say I'm not really tech savvy but if your HDD is corrupted couldn't you just reformat it? Cause if its the HDD I don't think there is anything wrong with the actual PS3. Sounds like the problem is the HDD. If you reformat it you'll lose all your game saves, videos etc. but you'll be able to play your PS3 again. This is the first I've heard of this problem but did a google search and came up with this informative thread : http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=techcentral&thread.id=13834

Also, if your warranty is over I'd consider buying a new HDD, it'll be much cheaper than replacing the PS3. Here's a guide on how to replace your HDD: http://www.gamersreports.com/article/43/ Check newegg, I'm sure you can find a good HDD for under a $100.

Dion4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Dion4ever

[QUOTE="Dion4ever"]

A few weeks ago, my PS3 60GB had something called a HDD Corruption and apparently needed to be rebuilt. Same thing happened to my friend and his friend. It seems to be a common problem and I had my PS3 for almost a year.

Handin

Well, first off let me say I'm not really tech savvy but if your HDD is corrupted couldn't you just reformat it? Cause if its the HDD I don't think there is anything wrong with the actual PS3. Sounds like the problem is the HDD. If you reformat it you'll lose all your game saves, videos etc. but you'll be able to play your PS3 again. This is the first I've heard of this problem but did a google search and came up with this informative thread : http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=techcentral&thread.id=13834

Also, if your warranty is over I'd consider buying a new HDD, it'll be much cheaper than replacing the PS3. Here's a guide on how to replace your HDD: http://www.gamersreports.com/article/43/ Check newegg, I'm sure you can find a good HDD for under a $100.

^_^ the first link you gave me was my previous forum. Yeah but I don't know how to reformat it. I have heard that suggestion before.
majin2024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 majin2024
Member since 2003 • 28 Posts
If all else fails, just buy a new hard drive.
Handin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Handin
Member since 2004 • 423 Posts

^_^ the first link you gave me was my previous forum. Yeah but I don't know how to reformat it. I have heard that suggestion before.
Dion4ever

Hehe, what are the chances of that?! Anyway, I doubt you can access your XMB but if you can you can reformat it by going to Settings>System Settings>Format Utility> Format Hard Disk. Lemme know how it turns out.

Dion4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Dion4ever

[QUOTE="Dion4ever"]

Handin

Remember it's still in Sony's hands. Anyway I can't go to XMB when it happens.

Hehe, what are the chances of that?! Anyway, I doubt you can access your XMB but if you can you can reformat it by going to Settings>System Settings>Format Utility> Format Hard Disk. Lemme know how it turns out.

truenextgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#11 truenextgen
Member since 2007 • 3911 Posts
Just take one out of one of your old labs and stick it in their.
Dion4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Dion4ever
Is an SD card a way to solve this problem though?
AlienOverlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13 AlienOverlord
Member since 2003 • 790 Posts

Why would you want to use an SD card? You can buy a portable HDD pretty cheap and use it via USB to back up whatever you want. I recently got a 160GB HDD which I had been planning to install internally into the PS3 but I stripped all the screws trying to remove the original HDD so now I use that 160GB HDD externally by USB and I've been loading it up with downloaded and converted movies and tv shows to watch whenever I want.

I think backing up is your best bet once your PS3 returned to you, you can even back up everything with the backup utilty (it's in one of the menus) because if it somehow can corrupt your HDD then it could corrupt whatever you use as your main hard drive so just back it up. Also, if you plan to use an external HDD you should be able to get a bigger and less expensive than that can be used internally.

Dion4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Dion4ever
Ok thanks for your help guys!