PS3 HD Help Wanted!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

hukibeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 hukibeast
Member since 2007 • 334 Posts

I need help with this techn-babble PS3 stuff. I want to use blu-ray DVD's and play my games in HD. My HDTV doesn't have an HDMI outlet. Neither does the gamestop brand audio-video switcher that I bought (to allow me to switch easily between which system I'm using). Both of them only have the red, yellow, and white plugs, as well as the large circular outlet.

Solution? I'm a newb at this stuff, and my knowledge usually doesn't exceed plug yellow-yellow, red-red, white-white.

x-2tha-z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#2 x-2tha-z
Member since 2003 • 8994 Posts
If you want HD but don't have HDMI your only option is to use either component cables or a HDMI to DVI converter if your tv has a DVI port. Component cables look like old composite cables but instead of having only one lead for picture (yellow is the picture lead for composite cables) component have three for picture (red, green and blue. RGB) component also has the red and white stereo sound leads so make sure you don't get the red for sound lead mixed up with the red for picture if you do decide to go with component. If none of what I just said makes any sense then search for component cable info on google. That's how we all learnt what this stuff means, by reading about it.
hukibeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 hukibeast

If you want HD but don't have HDMI your only option is to use either component cables or a HDMI to DVI converter if your tv has a DVI port. Component cables look like old composite cables but instead of having only one lead for picture (yellow is the picture lead for composite cables) component have three for picture (red, green and blue. RGB) component also has the red and white stereo sound leads so make sure you don't get the red for sound lead mixed up with the red for picture if you do decide to go with component. If none of what I just said makes any sense then search for component cable info on google. That's how we all learnt what this stuff means, by reading about it.x-2tha-z

My tv is composite and S Video only. Are there any solutions for my situation, it is an HDTV.

marcl18123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 marcl18123
Member since 2006 • 2050 Posts

[QUOTE="x-2tha-z"]If you want HD but don't have HDMI your only option is to use either component cables or a HDMI to DVI converter if your tv has a DVI port. Component cables look like old composite cables but instead of having only one lead for picture (yellow is the picture lead for composite cables) component have three for picture (red, green and blue. RGB) component also has the red and white stereo sound leads so make sure you don't get the red for sound lead mixed up with the red for picture if you do decide to go with component. If none of what I just said makes any sense then search for component cable info on google. That's how we all learnt what this stuff means, by reading about it.hukibeast

My tv is composite and S Video only. Are there any solutions for my situation, it is an HDTV.

You sure your TV isnt an EDTV? (displaying 480p) because at least component is need to get a 720p resolution, which is the minimum for HD
BigD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 BigD
Member since 2002 • 2223 Posts

hukibeast

If your TV only has composite and S Video it is not an HDTV. Maybe it is EDTV but I thought that required Composite connectors. What is the make and model of your TV? You should find that info somewhere on your TV. If you give us that we could look up, exactly what you have.

bizzy420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 bizzy420
Member since 2005 • 2730 Posts

[QUOTE="x-2tha-z"]If you want HD but don't have HDMI your only option is to use either component cables or a HDMI to DVI converter if your tv has a DVI port. Component cables look like old composite cables but instead of having only one lead for picture (yellow is the picture lead for composite cables) component have three for picture (red, green and blue. RGB) component also has the red and white stereo sound leads so make sure you don't get the red for sound lead mixed up with the red for picture if you do decide to go with component. If none of what I just said makes any sense then search for component cable info on google. That's how we all learnt what this stuff means, by reading about it.hukibeast

NO it isnt.
hukibeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 hukibeast
It's a Triniton XBR. But I can't seem to find the specific model name. It's grey and is NOT a flat screen. I was under the assumption that the TV was HD due to it's ability to watch and play HD channels and movies. Thanks in advance.
BigD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 BigD
Member since 2002 • 2223 Posts

Trintiron XBR's covers a wide range of TV modles... There should be a sticker on the back of your TV with the model number, it should start with KV-something. Anyway if it is a highend sony tube TV, it should have a component input. This would give you the best quality picture. Does the back of your TV look like this?

360hammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 360hammer
Member since 2009 • 2596 Posts

It's a Triniton XBR. But I can't seem to find the specific model name. It's grey and is NOT a flat screen. I was under the assumption that the TV was HD due to it's ability to watch and play HD channels and movies. Thanks in advance.hukibeast

Well, it may have an HD tuner but still lacks HD inputs for other equiptment. If you have a cable box or dish box just because your watching movies and channels broadcast in HD doesn't make your TV HD. I think it would be time to think about getting a new TV.

thelostcause

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 thelostcause
Member since 2004 • 96 Posts

I would check into the resolution, sometimes on the tv or through your cable box you can configure the resolution and if the tv can't work in that resolution it won't display it, but everyone above is right. The only way to get "HD" is to get 720p or 1280p and that is through component or hdmi, also some older tvs accept component but dont output to 720p, if you want the new standard of "HD" there are a ton of 32 inch HDTV's out there that are of reasonable price, not too bad to upgrade these days.

Duckman5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Duckman5
Member since 2006 • 18934 Posts
Give us the model number or take a picture of the back of your TV so we can see for ourselves.
bizzy420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 bizzy420
It's a Triniton XBR. But I can't seem to find the specific model name. It's grey and is NOT a flat screen. I was under the assumption that the TV was HD due to it's ability to watch and play HD channels and movies. Thanks in advance.hukibeast
its a crt-HD tv right? if im thinking of the right model, it might do 1080i over component cables. triniton xbr tvs have excellent black levels and will provide awesome picture quality.
hukibeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 hukibeast
I checked the back and it's a KV-36XBR800 36 incher. I checked the bag and it DOES have Component. But does I don't want to have to stick my expensive PS3 in the cramped, dusty back area behind my tv where the Component input is located. So; 1. How long would the component wires be? 2. Will the display still show up on video 2, or will it require some setting changes to get it to appear on the television?
lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

#15 lightleggy
Member since 2008 • 16090 Posts

I need help with this techn-babble PS3 stuff. I want to use blu-ray DVD's and play my games in HD. My HDTV doesn't have an HDMI outlet. Neither does the gamestop brand audio-video switcher that I bought (to allow me to switch easily between which system I'm using). Both of them only have the red, yellow, and white plugs, as well as the large circular outlet.

Solution? I'm a newb at this stuff, and my knowledge usually doesn't exceed plug yellow-yellow, red-red, white-white.

hukibeast
if it doesn't have HDMI input, its NOT HDTV... btw, theres no "blu ray dvd" its called BLU RAY, it's not another version of the DVD called "dvd blu ray" yeah, get a REAL HDTV, being able to display HD channels doesnt make it HD, I had a LG SDTV and I could watch HD channels on it. get a samsung, king of the HDTV
lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 lightleggy
[QUOTE="hukibeast"]I checked the back and it's a KV-36XBR800 36 incher. I checked the bag and it DOES have Component. But does I don't want to have to stick my expensive PS3 in the cramped, dusty back area behind my tv where the Component input is located. So; 1. How long would the component wires be? 2. Will the display still show up on video 2, or will it require some setting changes to get it to appear on the television?

long? they are long enough, when I had component cables, they were from my PS2 and they worked perfectly...they cost 5 dollars at any store... btw, component is NOT HD, its COMPONENT, it only makes the letters and font to look better. the display wont be in video 2, it will be in COMPONENT (video, or AV 1/2/3/4 whatever, are just for the red, white and yellow cables)
T_0_D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 T_0_D
Member since 2007 • 1128 Posts

I checked the back and it's a KV-36XBR800 36 incher. I checked the bag and it DOES have Component. But does I don't want to have to stick my expensive PS3 in the cramped, dusty back area behind my tv where the Component input is located. So; 1. How long would the component wires be? 2. Will the display still show up on video 2, or will it require some setting changes to get it to appear on the television?hukibeast

You can get component wires as longs as you need. DO NOT PUT YOUR PS3 IN A CRAMPED DUSTY PLACE! I believe that people doing this has contributed to the abnormally high failure rates of the two HD consoles (360 and PS3). Let your PS3 breathe it is esentially a complicated computer. If you still want a selector go to a best buy or similar electronics sales compnay and they should have more up to date switchers with component and composite built in. Hope all this helps.

x-2tha-z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#18 x-2tha-z
Member since 2003 • 8994 Posts
[QUOTE="lightleggy"][QUOTE="hukibeast"]I checked the back and it's a KV-36XBR800 36 incher. I checked the bag and it DOES have Component. But does I don't want to have to stick my expensive PS3 in the cramped, dusty back area behind my tv where the Component input is located. So; 1. How long would the component wires be? 2. Will the display still show up on video 2, or will it require some setting changes to get it to appear on the television?

long? they are long enough, when I had component cables, they were from my PS2 and they worked perfectly...they cost 5 dollars at any store... btw, component is NOT HD, its COMPONENT, it only makes the letters and font to look better. the display wont be in video 2, it will be in COMPONENT (video, or AV 1/2/3/4 whatever, are just for the red, white and yellow cables)

Your comment about component only making the font look better is just completely wrong. Component cables can carry a HD signal. That's a fact. It's an analogue signal compared to HDMI's digital signal but it will still produce an HD image. I used component cables with my launch model 360. 360's didn't have HDMI ports at launch. Component is absolutely fine for 720p, 1080i or 1080p gaming (if your tv accepts 1080p over component).
hukibeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 hukibeast
Thanks everyone.
Texas2089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Texas2089
Member since 2003 • 16490 Posts

The GameStop selector should have come with Component cables too. I had one hooked up to my old SDTV with Composite cables before I got my HDTV and it came with Component and Composite cables. The cables it came with should be long enough to reach so you should be fine.

lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 lightleggy
[QUOTE="x-2tha-z"][QUOTE="lightleggy"][QUOTE="hukibeast"]I checked the back and it's a KV-36XBR800 36 incher. I checked the bag and it DOES have Component. But does I don't want to have to stick my expensive PS3 in the cramped, dusty back area behind my tv where the Component input is located. So; 1. How long would the component wires be? 2. Will the display still show up on video 2, or will it require some setting changes to get it to appear on the television?

Your comment about component only making the font look better is just completely wrong. Component cables can carry a HD signal. That's a fact. It's an analogue signal compared to HDMI's digital signal but it will still produce an HD image. I used component cables with my launch model 360. 360's didn't have HDMI ports at launch. Component is absolutely fine for 720p, 1080i or 1080p gaming (if your tv accepts 1080p over component).

well sorry If I was wrong, but I just didnt noticed a difference when I played on HDTV with components
bizzy420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 bizzy420
[QUOTE="hukibeast"]I checked the back and it's a KV-36XBR800 36 incher. I checked the bag and it DOES have Component. But does I don't want to have to stick my expensive PS3 in the cramped, dusty back area behind my tv where the Component input is located. So; 1. How long would the component wires be? 2. Will the display still show up on video 2, or will it require some setting changes to get it to appear on the television?lightleggy

this guy does NOT know what he is talking about.