This topic is locked from further discussion.

crix3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

User Lists: 0

#1 crix3
Member since 2008 • 552 Posts

So this may sound like a dumb question but Im just trying to make sure. If you take your hard drive out of your PS3 and put it in another one, will all your saves and stuff be accessible on the other PS3?

Blood_Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#2 Blood_Diamond
Member since 2007 • 418 Posts

TBH i can't see why it wouldn't... but it might format it for it's own file type if it doesn't use NTFS. Try a blank or old HDD so you don't loose your current data

crix3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 crix3

Ok so to be clear I am taking out my hard drive on my PS3, and putting that hard drive into a seperate PS3. Has anybody tried this and know if all the saves, etc work and show up on the new PS3.

rahul_rul210

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 rahul_rul210
Member since 2006 • 995 Posts
i think it will not 100% sure
nethernova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 nethernova
Member since 2008 • 5721 Posts
No, it will not work. You will need to format the harddrive if you put it in another PS3. They are kind of tied to a specific console.
crix3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 crix3

No, it will not work. You will need to format the harddrive if you put it in another PS3. They are kind of tied to a specific console.nethernova

And if I format it I will lose all the data on the hard drive?

Duckman5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Duckman5
Member since 2006 • 18934 Posts

[QUOTE="nethernova"]No, it will not work. You will need to format the harddrive if you put it in another PS3. They are kind of tied to a specific console.crix3

Yes.
Myzz617

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Myzz617
Member since 2008 • 2026 Posts
[QUOTE="crix3"]

[QUOTE="nethernova"]No, it will not work. You will need to format the harddrive if you put it in another PS3. They are kind of tied to a specific console.Duckman5

Yes.

use the data backup utility. Purchase an external HDD if you dont own one or a USB driver large enough to back up data.
crix3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 crix3

[QUOTE="Duckman5"][QUOTE="crix3"]

Myzz617

Yes.

use the data backup utility. Purchase an external HDD if you dont own one or a USB driver large enough to back up data.

The problem is I got the YLOD:cry: so obviously I cant back it up, even though next week I was even planning on going out to the store to buy a back up. Ahhhh couldnt it of waited a week?:x But Im not trying to stress it to much. What I figured out I have to do (from a whole day wasted of looking it up) is try to reflow the cpu and gpu on the motherboard, which isnt a permanent fix, but should give me enough time to back up my data if it all works. Then when I get it again, which is probable, I can send it in or get a new one or whatever, and I have all my saves. Just hoping it works. And just for the record it is a 60gb.

Myzz617

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Myzz617
Member since 2008 • 2026 Posts

[QUOTE="Myzz617"][QUOTE="Duckman5"] Yes.crix3

The problem is I got the YLOD:cry: so obviously I cant back it up, even though next week I was even planning on going out to the store to buy a back up. Ahhhh couldnt it of waited a week?:x But Im not trying to stress it to much. What I figured out I have to do (from a whole day wasted of looking it up) is try to reflow the cpu and gpu on the motherboard, which isnt a permanent fix, but should give me enough time to back up my data if it all works. Then when I get it again, which is probable, I can send it in or get a new one or whatever, and I have all my saves. Just hoping it works. And just for the record it is a 60gb.

Damn that SUCKS. My 60GB will not read games. And i backed it up prior..in which i now have a 80GB with 250GB hdd and i need to do a backup soon. Any how good luck I would save the 60GB hdd and try to buy the wires to make it external and copy the game saves. Not sure if you need a PS3 or PC to do this better off using a PS3..Good luck!
crix3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 crix3

[QUOTE="crix3"]

[QUOTE="Myzz617"] use the data backup utility. Purchase an external HDD if you dont own one or a USB driver large enough to back up data. Myzz617

Damn that SUCKS. My 60GB will not read games. And i backed it up prior..in which i now have a 80GB with 250GB hdd and i need to do a backup soon. Any how good luck I would save the 60GB hdd and try to buy the wires to make it external and copy the game saves. Not sure if you need a PS3 or PC to do this better off using a PS3..Good luck!

Sounds like you have a problem with the blu ray player, but at least your smart and backed up your saves.

I found this place on ebay that repairs all the problems with it, and Im sending it into them with a life time warranty they say, so sounds all good. But hopefully it will all work out and I can get back to playing games soon. Except the FIRST thing Im doing is backing up the saves, Im not going to make that mistake again. Anyways thanks for the help everyone.