This topic is locked from further discussion.

looke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 looke
Member since 2003 • 98 Posts

Recently my ps3 games started to freeze. It happened when I moverd my ps3 upstairs and played madden 08 and right in the middle of the game it started to freeze and at first i did'nt think it was such a big deal so i let it rest, but the other day I tried again and it freezed again while i was playing the game and then i started get worried. The strange thing is that everything still works fine I can bring up the xmb menu and quit the game, but most of the time the ps3 resets itself.

Its a very strange problem, the more times i retry, the earlier it freezes ( not only with madden 08). Sometimes it can't even read the disc after reset. I'm still able to play demo's so i guess it's something with the disc drive. It also makes a repetetive noise when the game freezes. I tried holding the eject button to reset the drive, i formatted in 3 different ways and i want to make sure if there isn't a solution before calling sony because i'll probably won't see my ps3 for a few months then. I also noticed that cd's and dvd's do work so ps2 games are fine.

please help me

TechtRonin07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 TechtRonin07
Member since 2008 • 256 Posts

I've got to agree with you, sounds like the disk drive. I 've had the same thing happen to my 360. The dvd drive went and over time the ability to read dvd's and games degraded until it could only play cds. It also suffered from alot of freezing. How does it play blu-rays? Does it take a long time to read them?

looke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 looke
Member since 2003 • 98 Posts
same thing when I let it rest from reading discs the blu-ray movie plays the intro and then freezes otherwise i get an error message: can't read disc or something like that
TechtRonin07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 TechtRonin07
Member since 2008 • 256 Posts
yeah it's the disk drive, I'd send it in, hopefully you're still under warranty.
naju890_963

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#5 naju890_963
Member since 2008 • 8954 Posts
Sounds like the blu ray disc drive needs some fixing. Send it to sony they will know what to do.
Philip-Duck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Philip-Duck
Member since 2007 • 40 Posts

hey, my ps3 is having the exact same problem as yours did, what did you do? did u have to get it replaced?

cheers

chronicyankfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 chronicyankfan
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
My PS3 did the same thing playing assasin's creed, kept freezing with quicker and quicker rapidity. Called sony, no questions asked sent it back (still under warranty). It's the blue-ray drive for sure, and is a problem I'm sure their very aware of because, as I said, there were no questions asked and with a short description of the problem the girl almost immediately set me up to ship it back. Be prepared though, as you said it will be a bit before you get it back. Takes about a week to get the box, and then about 2-3 weeks to get it back once you ship it out.
Amir29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#8 Amir29
Member since 2007 • 822 Posts

My PS3 did the same thing playing assasin's creed, kept freezing with quicker and quicker rapidity. Called sony, no questions asked sent it back (still under warranty). It's the blue-ray drive for sure, and is a problem I'm sure their very aware of because, as I said, there were no questions asked and with a short description of the problem the girl almost immediately set me up to ship it back. Be prepared though, as you said it will be a bit before you get it back. Takes about a week to get the box, and then about 2-3 weeks to get it back once you ship it out.chronicyankfan

Listen to this guy man. It's definitely your drive.

Back up your system from now while you wait for that box to come.

Don't be afraid to ask them how the repair can be expedited. Maybe faster shipping? Maybe they have a repair center near you? Either way, it's worth it to ask.

Good luck.

theMarshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 theMarshell
Member since 2008 • 602 Posts
Why are all these Blu-ray drives failing?
Amir29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Amir29

Why are all these Blu-ray drives failing?theMarshell

What? Uhm... I haven't heard of that. Sorry.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18792 Posts
When i use the In Game music feature in motorstorm 2 everything at times will freeze.
smeags11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 smeags11
Member since 2006 • 4045 Posts
YOU HAVE FOUND THE SECRET MESSAGE
JKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 JKusanagi
Member since 2005 • 815 Posts
My Uncharted also freezes... i don't know why but it also makes noises while loading, every other game works fine, i'm kinda worried
hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts
My PS3 froze for the first time the other day when I was in the menu screen in R2... Reset it and it hasn't done it since so fingers crossed...
Amir29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Amir29

YOU HAVE FOUND THE SECRET MESSAGEsmeags11

LOL!!!

undeadped

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 undeadped
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
MyPS3 has just started giving me probs. Blu-ray drive has had it cos games freeze or don't load and then I get the error message. Everything else works fine. Rang Sony and they're sending me a replacement as there's nothing you can do. Believe me I've tried! Now just gotta sit and wait. Noticed this seems to happen to a lot of people. Is this Sony's version of the dreaded red rings?
purple_T

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 purple_T
Member since 2005 • 233 Posts
mine started freezing a week ago when i was playing R2 cooperative forest mission i thought it was my internet so i restart my connection and played did a different mission that day all went fine... then happened to play the same mission it froze at the same place... when i say freeze it simples stops then plays then stops real quickly like a flicker movie if u want... so i decided it cant be my connection since its only that mission and maybe cuz at that point u have millions of things on screen A few days later the game took more time to launch then today i cant sign in, it takes ages when i try to quit signing in the top right swirly thing goes away so does the "press X to cancel" and i am left with signing in... i cant press PS button and restart cuz it wont do it... so i switched it off no i cant launch the game at all... it simpley shows my the R2 background thing with the sound when i launch it it goes straight to a black screen and stays for ages... I restored but still the same thing... no idea what to do... i am about to crack... I got mine in the US before i came to saudi ages ago for work, i have first model 60 Ggs, my warranty expired... LIFE IS DULL HERE I WANT MY GAMING BACK.... if anyone knows anything about this plz tell me what to do... plz
Avatar image for Metal_Cooler666
Metal_Cooler666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Metal_Cooler666
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts
what about doing a system restore
Balmane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#19 Balmane
Member since 2008 • 13255 Posts

This only happened to me when I played FIFA 09 but that was the disks fault not my PS3's

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30684 Posts
I believe Sony is using low quality parts with potentially short life spans. I just got back my console a week ago after sending it in for the same problem. Mine got so bad that the game would freeze after less than 2 minutes.
soyt_llusala

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 soyt_llusala
Member since 2004 • 289 Posts

Not only Blu Ray's, any disk drives will fail too but in a span of time. IMO due to the fact that the technology is new Blu Ray lense have not yet matured so expect early versions of PS3 to suffer that problem. Send your PS3 to Sony so that they can replace a new and better lense kit for it.

MURDA_B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 MURDA_B
Member since 2008 • 2879 Posts

madden 08 and 09 freezes alot i dont know why it does that or it could be a blue ray problem

bam706

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 bam706
Member since 2005 • 1053 Posts

at one point my ps3 wouldnt read killzone2, then it finally started reading it and begin to freeze up about 3times in a row since then its been fine. i have 60gb.

Joaquin0789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Joaquin0789
Member since 2005 • 128 Posts

Hey, guess what? Same problem here, but i have another problem, i bought the console in USA but i don't live there, do you know if there is anything else to do? i've seen there are PS3 lens for sale on ebay but do they actually work?

If i have to send it to USA i'd rather buy another PS3 in my country and use the old one just for PS2 games.

Mr_Splosher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Mr_Splosher
Member since 2009 • 772 Posts

It's your blu ray reader, when did you get it?

Joaquin0789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Joaquin0789
Member since 2005 • 128 Posts

It's your blu ray reader, when did you get it?

Mr_Splosher

December 2007, it was the 80GB pack with Motorstorm, i've used it for PS2 and PS1 games too, actually those games still run fine.

enger66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 enger66
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
hello i was playing my ps3 online with call of duty 5then it took me out and singed me out and said that i had 128 bones check console. can anyone help me?
enger66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 enger66
[QUOTE="enger66"]hello i was playing my ps3 online with call of duty 5then it took me out and singed me out and said that i had 128 bones check console. can anyone help me? wat are 128 bones or just bones?
zombeeslaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 zombeeslaya
yeah guys my ps3 just started acting up tonight i cant believe this i traded the xbox 360 in for the rrod having it 5 times and know this it freezes game disks or dlc games could it be overheating my avi movies on the hardrive plays music plays and when the game freezes on the ps3 only the little green light under the drive can be seen and i have to turn it off via switch ive had it since febuary and its now december tho i dont have my reciet will they be able to help me
zombeeslaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 zombeeslaya
im starting to realize the only good gaming machine is my gaming rig and wii probly cause i treat the wii like its vintige this is really starting to piss me off come on sony you can do better than this !!!! dont stop to xboxs level
zombeeslaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 zombeeslaya
i dunno if you saw my post its just happened tonight i mean its summer in australia but we have aircon
rawr_xd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 rawr_xd
Member since 2009 • 790 Posts

Doesn't sound like your disc drive actually, I'd say it's the game, you say it isn't only Madden 08, but I would still try several other games before sending it in.

zombeeslaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 zombeeslaya
any one help with my problem ?
jmiladder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 jmiladder
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
This disk freeze issue is happening to me right this moment. Im on my second blue ray drive. Sony fixed it the first time about a year ago for free as I was under warranty. This time I'm not so lucky, they of course want the 150 bux plus 30 shipping to fix it. I have the Old school 80 gig Backwards compatible with 4 usb's. So before I just accepted it being the drive again beings that I have a year old drive they already replaced, I called sony to ask there rep if I could clean the system by taking it apart. The rep told me as long as I dont modify the system in ANY way other then HDD replacement it wouldnt be NON servicable. He repeated himself many times on the modified only part. So I cleaned the entire system very carefully hoping it was a heat issue. Put it back together...still froze. Called sony back explained my problem, now they say since I took it apart its non serviceable. Im having them pull the call up and get back to me but as it stands I might not even be lucky enuff to be able to pay the 180 bux for a fix. Crappy part is I got demons souls for xmas! If anyone knows how to fix the drive manually plz let me know....Thx
polux06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 polux06
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts
The problem beiing: You played mw2 (or another game) with the latess update installed on your ps3 and at some point it froze. tried pressing the PS button but nothing happened. You had to hold the power button to reset it or resolve to switch the back switch off/on. Only to get this same problem over and over again. you can t play blu ray on your ps3 and/or get the error 80010514. from time to time it will play those blu ray only to start the whole problem again. come here: http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=ps3&thread.id=4284886
Enzo2010_69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Enzo2010_69
Wow.. That sucks balls dude. So what did you end up doing ?? Im having freezing issues now a lot too. But with certain games.. Its happened when i got Assassins creed 2. i played it a lot and it started freezing quite often so i put it down and havent really played it since. Then Red Dead Redemption came out and i overplayed the crap out of that. Still to this day ive been playing it a lot but the last month or so its been freezing BIG TIME. i cannot play it without freezing. then some games rarely or never freeze. i even exchanged my red dead redemption for a BRAND NEW copy and it still occurs every time. i did some reading and found out it can be the disc drive or whatever that is dirty or dusty, and even though some games may freeze and some may not - it can be that it is just more pronounced on the games ive put more time on. I dont know if it is worth sending in and paying for repair because my warranty is over, and dont know if it will still occur eventually after repair as yours is. Did you send it in? Is it working fine? or did you get a new one and what would your advice be?
PS3_Move

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 PS3_Move
Have you tried cleaning your discs with window cleaner? It stops my games from freezing every time.
EDN3ROCKET

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 EDN3ROCKET
Dude the same thing happens to me. Did you find a solution.
dragonzw2c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#39 dragonzw2c
Member since 2006 • 121 Posts

yea i think its the games for me too i bought a slim120gb in july this year and i experienced freezes within 3 weeks... the ps button didnt work so i had to restart game but if i eject disc while its froze then it restarts on its own...clean off fingerprints and marks on disc and it seems to run great

Vellos-Hunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Vellos-Hunter
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
hi um,. i have a problem with my ps3 it freeze's in mid game,. ( midnight club,. and two need for speed's both of which are brand new! ) i have no idea what's going wrong,. any help or advise will be much appreciated thank's ~~vellos-Hunter~~
JoKeR_421

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 JoKeR_421
Member since 2006 • 8920 Posts

[QUOTE="chronicyankfan"]My PS3 did the same thing playing assasin's creed, kept freezing with quicker and quicker rapidity. Called sony, no questions asked sent it back (still under warranty). It's the blue-ray drive for sure, and is a problem I'm sure their very aware of because, as I said, there were no questions asked and with a short description of the problem the girl almost immediately set me up to ship it back. Be prepared though, as you said it will be a bit before you get it back. Takes about a week to get the box, and then about 2-3 weeks to get it back once you ship it out.Amir29

Listen to this guy man. It's definitely your drive.

Back up your system from now while you wait for that box to come.

Don't be afraid to ask them how the repair can be expedited. Maybe faster shipping? Maybe they have a repair center near you? Either way, it's worth it to ask.

Good luck.

they really must of hated u lol chronic or u just lyin, it doesnt take that long to get the box that u put ur ps3 in and sent it in and another 2 to 3 weeks to get it back. i had to sent in one of my ps3s several times, also know ppl who had sent it in, and honestly it takes a week to a week and a half to sent it in and get a repaired one back.

P.S whats up with all these low lvl posters with issues all of a sudden lol. ps3 isnt unbreakable but damn somethin smells really fishy

smperk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 smperk
Yeah, my games freeze now too. Bought my ps3 120 GB back in 08. I tried one of those PS3 disc cleaners you get at best buy, didn't work. I also tried the system restore, and all of my games freeze partway through. I'll call sony, but if it costs me anything, I'll likely use one of those youtube videos that show how to replace either the drive or the lens. if anyone has more info, let me know.
awflip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 awflip
I bought my PS3 at release, and its worked fine, up until a few months ago. In some of my games, it would freeze. In others, it wouldnt. All of my PS2 games work on it, and almost all of my PS3 games work. But, sometimes it freezes at the start screen thing, and sometimes is freezes during the game. Its not an overheating problem, because i took it apart, replaced the dried Thermal Compound, have a fan running on it whenever its on, and its in a well ventilated area. everything is dusted (i did that when i took it apart). It still freezes in Demon's Souls and Batman: Arkam Asylum. My warranty is up, so Sony cant send a replacement. Also, i took it apart, so even if i did somehow have a 4 year warranty on it, it would be void. I have no idea what it could be, except either a video component problem, or the blu-ray drive is failing. I dont think its the blu-ray drive though, because blu-ray movies, and older PS3 games work fine. but if it was the video component, all of my game's video would be messed up. i dont know what to do. -____-
Thebestchoice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Thebestchoice
@ awflip I have exactly the same problem as you. I also have a PS3 since release day, and now since 3 months my PS3 also started freezing when i'm in a game. Some games have no problems, others suffer from textures spikes and some just freeze after 5 a 10 minutes. I never had problems with my PS3 or with any of my games. I was also thinking about too change the thermal paste with new fresh MX-2 thermal paste. But now after reading your message, I doubt if this will help. I really do not know what to do now. I've googled a lot about this subject, but for now with no result. I almost 100% that this has nothing to do with the blu-ray drive, i know this because some of my Demo's are crashing too.
BurnThisCity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#45 BurnThisCity
Member since 2006 • 391 Posts

Has any of you ever considered the possibility of overheating? I was playing Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 and the game crashes CONSTANTLY (like, 5 times in 3 hours). I set up a small fan aiming at the system and it ended up NOT crashing at all.

However, right now my house is freezing the balls off of me and "Eat Lead" has crashed twice so far on me. Now I'm really scared I might one day have to send it in.

duke969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 duke969
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
Hi All, I have had my playstation since the 80 gig came out with the metal gear solid game - regarding the problem --- I have 2 different RTTS careers on MLB 10 the show - one is a pitcher the other is a shortstop. While i was playing the shortstop as soon as the batting practice is over whether i complete the batting practice or prematurely end it the game freezes at that point everytime. To end the game to try and restart it I have to eject it because there is no response. I have let the machine sit over night and tried it the following day only to freeze at the same exact spot. I looked at the disc but it perfect not even a smudge. So i tried the career using the pitcher and there was no problem I was able to play a full game - has anyone seen something like this or heard of this problem and possibly has a solution. Thanx
unrealtron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 unrealtron
Member since 2010 • 3148 Posts
this is 3 years old :P
peytonmc18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 peytonmc18
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
i went out and got a new BF3, need for speed the run, and homefront, and sadly they all freeze after about 10 minutes of gameplay. This is really making me angry because it does this on black ops and a few other games i have. the thing is well ventilated, isnt very old and is treated very well and i dont understand why it always does this. Any help would be great even if that simply means someone tells me the thing is shot and i need a new one