PS3 Fat or PS3 Slim? I dont Know the Differences

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for EpiphoneMan2008
EpiphoneMan2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1 EpiphoneMan2008
Member since 2009 • 7169 Posts

Some say that the PS3 Slim overheats and has some defects... But does the PS3 Fat do this too? I want to know if i should buy the Fat one or the Slim one........ Whicever one is safer

Wiishy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Wiishy
Member since 2007 • 293 Posts

The fat one, you can leave on longer. The slim, everything is so condensed, it needs to be turned off to be cooled every hour of playing.

Avatar image for Just_Some_Gamer
Just_Some_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Just_Some_Gamer
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

The fat one, you can leave on longer. The slim, everything is so condensed, it needs to be turned off to be cooled every hour of playing.

Wiishy

Well that isn't really true, I have the slim and I never do this, it can run for hours fine (with no need to rest) as long as it's well ventilated.

GrandJury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 GrandJury
Member since 2009 • 15396 Posts

Well this is what I know.

PS3 Phat

1. Looks better
  2. It attracts more dust and finger prints because of the shiny finish
  3. You can install linux
  4. Uses more energy....I think
  5. Older models(20,60,80gig) has backwards compatibility with PS2 and PS1 games.

PSSlim

1. Kinda ugly
  2. Does not attract as much dust and finger prints because of the new matt finish
  3. Can not install linux
  4. uses less energy...I think
  5. Easier to carry around, not as heavy.
  6. Only B/C with PS1 titles.

In other not that much. The PS3 slims are the primary PS3 models on the market so they will be easier to find and buy.

Gen007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 Gen007
Member since 2006 • 11006 Posts

Wiishy

yeah because sony would make a system that has to be turned off every hour. Come on that doesn't make sense. The slim hasn't been out long enough to really know just how reliable it is but so far it looks good as for the fat one i have heard of overheating cases but for the most part it's reliable as well. No matter which one you get I would suggest getting a warrenty just to be safe because you never know.

GrandJury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 GrandJury
Member since 2009 • 15396 Posts
Either way they are pretty much all safe. Although I would avoid buying a used 60 gig. It seems that the YLOD is attracted to that console more than the others, plus they sell for like 200-300 bucks. It would be better to just buy a brand new slim.
Furi-Kun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Furi-Kun
Member since 2007 • 10903 Posts

They are basically almost the same except for size and it's internal gadgets and hardware.

dark-DROID

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 dark-DROID
Member since 2008 • 139 Posts

i talked to a guy at gamestop and he said the slim's harddrive runs like a half second slower than that older model.

Ronin893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9 Ronin893
Member since 2009 • 1927 Posts

You don't know between fat and Slim? Come on now thats kindergarden stuff.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#10 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

i'll never trade in my fat ps3 for a slim one.

AgentZero225

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 AgentZero225
Member since 2007 • 1718 Posts

Some say that the PS3 Slim overheats and has some defects... But does the PS3 Fat do this too? I want to know if i should buy the Fat one or the Slim one........ Whicever one is safer

EpiphoneMan2008

Whoever told you this does not know what they are talking about. I have 3 PS3s. I have 2 launch fats and one slim. I have not had any problems with them. I got the slim and I have ran if hard ever since I got uncharted 2, and I am talking about 8 hour straight play throughs on normal, hard and crushing. Recently I have been playing Call of Duty 4 online.

The slim is dead quiet and it loads games faster than the fat ps3. I only gets warm in the back. My 60GB ps3 is in my living room and I use it when watching blu ray movies and sometimes when I wanna game with my wife. My 80 GB fat is in my bed room for when I wanna watch movies or play games there. I have NOT had any issues with either one of them. The slim does the same thing the fat does but it looks better.

abdelmessih101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 abdelmessih101
Member since 2007 • 5230 Posts

Read my PS3 FAQ Thread which I've linked in my sig below.

Nintenkid49

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Nintenkid49
Member since 2009 • 3977 Posts

Wiishy

ummmm that is not true at all. It's a complete opposite. Think about it or a minute, wouldn't the one that uses more power radiate more heat? Please think more before posting these false answers.

Wiishy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Wiishy
Member since 2007 • 293 Posts

[QUOTE="Wiishy"]

Nintenkid49

ummmm that is not true at all. It's a complete opposite. Think about it or a minute, wouldn't the one that uses more power radiate more heat? Please think more before posting these false answers.

Slim with smaller heat sink

Original with bigger heat sink

Avatar image for chunkymonkey313
chunkymonkey313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 chunkymonkey313
Member since 2009 • 329 Posts
Ps3 slim>ps3 fat
Nintenkid49

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Nintenkid49
Member since 2009 • 3977 Posts

[QUOTE="Nintenkid49"]

[QUOTE="Wiishy"]

Wiishy

Slim with smaller heat sink

Original with bigger heat sink

That proved nothing. They are not the same size so you cant compare their hardware like that.

Fantasticus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Fantasticus
Member since 2009 • 666 Posts
the slim looks much better than the 'phat'. i currently own a 60 gig 'phat' PS3 & it got the YLOD 3 times, therefore, i will be trading that in @ gamestop for a PS3 slim the same night i will be picking up Modern Warfere 2 on november 10th, b/c i don't wanna risk getting the YLOD w/ my 'phat' PS3 when playing MW 2. i'm not taking any chances...
JudgementEden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#18 JudgementEden
Member since 2004 • 2832 Posts

Wiishy, quit acting mentally challenged. I have the Slim and have had it on for hours with its temperature cooler than that of the old "phat" I used to own. Quit posting false information. And those crappy pictures prove nothing, as another poster already said. Also, I should inform you that the heatsink doesn't have to be as big because the Cell is much smaller. It doesn't take an Einstein to figure that out. Every hour, how ridiculous.

Avatar image for paperdollparade
paperdollparade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 paperdollparade
Member since 2007 • 1915 Posts

unless you are getting a BC fat PS3 you should just get the slim.

wellzy01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 wellzy01
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
hi everyone im new to this gamespot site but stumbled across it when looking for an answer to my overheating problem with the ps3s,now there are alot of u saying that the ps3s does not overheat well i have a different opinion as i brought a ps3s on the 3rd of november (traded my ps3 fat for it) and thought sweet this looks the nutts. (bare in mind that i kept the ps3s exactly where i kept the fat 1) so i set up and installed all my games,worked absolutly fine for the first 4 days no probs then all of a sudden it started un asigning the controllers as i was playing games ????? then i kept loosing connection online (i had a 5.2mb download speed everytime this happened cuz i checked just incase it was my isp).then as i was playing a few days l8er it froze on a game load screan so i left it for about 10 mins and it did nothing so i used the ps button NOTHING would'nt work so i pressed the power button NOTHING so i had to pull the plug and start again and this happened in the first week and got progressively worse as the weeks went by,(by the way i do play my ps3 for about 8 hours a day but sony asure me that the 1 they got plays for 14 hours a day with no probs)any way on the 3rd of dec i woke up and noticed there was no standby light on my ps3 and sure enough it had no power so i phoned sony and they got me to try a few things but to no use it was dead,so from there i took it back to argos and got a new 1 and to cut a long story short the next 1 lasted 13 days to the day and now i have gone back to the old 1 but in the process spoke to a guy who worked at game who told me it was a overheat problem due to (as i suppected) the tight space that its now in the hdd being underneith the cd drive creating more heat than the old won and not only that the fan/power supply is that of a ps2 which is not man enough to cool the componants.so what im trying to say is b carefull when thinking about upgrading to the ps3s at the mo cuz from my experience it does have a problem with the cooling(overheating) system