Ps3 Fan running really loud

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Kusimekaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Kusimekaa
Member since 2007 • 194 Posts

Hey guys, bascialy i've had my ps3 over a year now, when i first got it it would run so quiet everyone would question if there was even a fan running (there was, it's just very quiet) however recently, after playing a game for like 20 mins the fan starts running super loud. Now not only i wonder if this means the PS3 is running hot and needs sorting out, it's also so loud that it is annoying, when your trying to listen to your game (especialy at nights) all you can hear is that damn fan running.

So bascialy i'm wondering what i can do to remedy this? i'm not sure if its dust inside or what...any advice is greatly appreciated!

Furi-Kun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Furi-Kun
Member since 2007 • 10903 Posts

It shouldn't be too much of a problem. It happens to all PS3 users. Just clean it out once in a while and don't worry about it. If the fan gets louder than the TV then for sure something is wrong.

Kusimekaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Kusimekaa
Member since 2007 • 194 Posts

When you say clean it out, do you mean open the Ps3? i know it never used to be a problem, but it's only just started happening which makes me think its a buildup of dust or something. :)

Kurushio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Kurushio
Member since 2004 • 10485 Posts
Get some compressed air to blow out dust in the vents. You can either use a can of compressed air or an air tank and nozzle if you have one. But it getting loud just means its getting hot which generally is not that big of a problem. If its in a warm room and confined it could recirculate the warm air and just make it hotter and hotter.
Furi-Kun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Furi-Kun

When you say clean it out, do you mean open the Ps3? i know it never used to be a problem, but it's only just started happening which makes me think its a buildup of dust or something. :)

Kusimekaa

Don't use compressed air, you'll just end up blowing dust all over inside your PS3. Use a small handheld vacuum cleaner and hole it near the vents or you can use the hose extention from a bigger vaccum, just hold it like 2-3 inches away from the vents, because it's a bit powerful.

twitchscb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 twitchscb
Member since 2009 • 288 Posts

[QUOTE="Kusimekaa"]

Furi-Kun

Don't use compressed air, you'll just end up blowing dust all over inside your PS3. Use a small handheld vacuum cleaner and hole it near the vents or you can use the hose extention from a bigger vaccum, just hold it like 2-3 inches away from the vents, because it's a bit powerful.

The best way I've figured out is to use the bristle extension on the hose of a big vacuum... That keeps it from sealing to the PS3 in anyway and the bristles will break up any clumps of dust that may get stuck in the square vents... Also if your PS3 is in an enclosed area you're just killing your PS3 slowly

Kurushio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Kurushio
Member since 2004 • 10485 Posts

[QUOTE="Kusimekaa"]

Furi-Kun

Maybe a hand vac but definetly not a full vacuum because they could create some static electricity and fry your console. The risk is remote but theres no risk of compressed air hurting your PS3 and you can reach farther into your ps3 with compressed air than a vacuum can get.
Furi-Kun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Furi-Kun

[QUOTE="Furi-Kun"]

[QUOTE="Kusimekaa"]

Kurushio

Maybe a hand vac but definetly not a full vacuum because they could create some static electricity and fry your console. The risk is remote but theres no risk of compressed air hurting your PS3 and you can reach farther into your ps3 with compressed air than a vacuum can get.

That's why I said to hold it 2-3 inches away from the vent. They can be quite powerful.

MrRaziel11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 MrRaziel11
Member since 2008 • 231 Posts
vaccum is the way...
kinjo13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 kinjo13
Member since 2008 • 183 Posts

This ps3 fan is running and out of control

This PS3 fan is runnig and out of control

kinjo13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 kinjo13
Member since 2008 • 183 Posts

On a serious note:

Turn off the power on the back

Hold in the eject button and turn the power back on (this will put your playstation in clean mode and the fan will run loud for a few seconds)

Get a vacuum and suck out anything that did not blow completely out of the system.

Sony specifically says not to use compressed air on the troubleshooting section on the playstation website, due to the fact that it can damage the system.

Maybe this was covered in earlier post but I did not take time to read them all

Avatar image for deactivated-6075a5c511e8b
deactivated-6075a5c511e8b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12 deactivated-6075a5c511e8b
Member since 2005 • 7222 Posts
Normal.
Avatar image for deactivated-6075a5c511e8b
deactivated-6075a5c511e8b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#13 deactivated-6075a5c511e8b
Member since 2005 • 7222 Posts

This ps3 fan is running and out of control

This PS3 fan is runnig and out of control

kinjo13

You win my friend.

kingmanbrosky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 kingmanbrosky
Member since 2009 • 268 Posts

cus its summer it overheats, mine does it too, so i use a housefan and point it directly towards the front vents , its the ones rite under the disc tray by the ports where u charge ur controller, put a fan toward this vent while u play , it will prolong the life of ur ps3