PS3 fan keeps hitting 5th gear!!!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Ultra-BEN27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Ultra-BEN27
Member since 2008 • 109 Posts

Anyone knows where i can put my PS3 so the fan doesn't hit 5 th gear after 20 min???
It's pretty humid where i live and even with an air conditionner and a fan right in front the fan keeps going full throttle all the time. Where should i put it?? Every time it does that i don't take any chances and save my game to turn it off.
It's pretty annoying! I don't want it to be on the vertical, cause i heard that it makes the BR drive fail faster!

Anyone got pics for an ideal place to put it?

GaMeR_Willz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 GaMeR_Willz
Member since 2008 • 1050 Posts
Are you sure that your PS3 is in a good ventilation?
fizzlegloop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#3 fizzlegloop
Member since 2007 • 692 Posts

yea for anything including computers and tvs you need well ventilation. where i have my ps3 isnt the best place. However its in my basement which is like always 60 degrees. If i play the ps3 for like 8 hrs straight which i have only done once the fan like never goes off. I think that it never goes off because the room went from like 60 degrees all the way to 85. I just open the door 5 mins later the fan goes off.

Ultra-BEN27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Ultra-BEN27

Are you sure that your PS3 is in a good ventilation?GaMeR_Willz

Well it got about 1/2 a feet in the back and on the right side...Plus i got a fan right in front.
I'll try moving it in a different spot, but i'm limited cause i got a bug audio/video unit.
Pretty much all the space is taking except under the TV. I'll try it there...It's got more space for the back.

Thanks for the advise

fizzlegloop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#5 fizzlegloop
Member since 2007 • 692 Posts

the fans for my 80 gb ps3 is in the back and on the right side when its laying down. there is at least 2 feet on both sides. half a foot would not cut it i think. then again i have an 80 gig.

marvdog187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 marvdog187
Member since 2007 • 46 Posts
on a flat surface on the ground away from any enclosures, ( i say on the ground) because that where the coolest air is
Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#7 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12377 Posts
If your room is hot, then the PS3 will overheat much quicker
choffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 choffy
Member since 2005 • 1881 Posts

Despite what people say, don't put it next to a fan. It will blow dust into the vents, thus making it MORE likely to overheat.

Just make sure that you have the PS3 3in. away from any wall/electronic device that emits heat.

And here are the ideal temperatures for your room for your PS3:

72-75 -- Ideal
75-79 -- Warm, but it can handle it
80-84 -- A bit too hot

Not recomended to let your PS3 to be in a room over 85 degrees. You can, and something shouldn't happen, but it's not reccomended

choffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 choffy
Member since 2005 • 1881 Posts

on a flat surface on the ground away from any enclosures, ( i say on the ground) because that where the coolest air is marvdog187

That's asking for it to overheat. The little fuzzies on the ground will get caught in the vents, thus allowing less cool air to enter and trapping more hot air inside

This is a sure-fire way to make your PS3 overheat

Ultra-BEN27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Ultra-BEN27

F*** That!
I pulled out the cables and a small table and put it on that for the time playing. Then i'll just put it back in the unit when i'm done...It's got all the space it needs now.
Drastic time call for drastic measures, but my PS3 breaking is way to drastic to take any chances!

TY guys for your advise!!!

jimm895

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 jimm895
Member since 2007 • 7703 Posts

F*** That!
I pulled out the cables and a small table and put it on that for the time playing. Then i'll just put it back in the unit when i'm done...It's got all the space it needs now.
Drastic time call for drastic measures, but my PS3 breaking is way to drastic to take any chances!

TY guys for your advise!!!

Ultra-BEN27

Now that would work every time. But if there is a place that you can have the system standing vertical and has plenty of space behind it then it does run cooler. As having the PS3 vertical and it causing problems with the disc drive it doesn't effect it in any way. After standing my PS3 vertical it holds a lot less heat, now instead of the domed area getting warm to the touch now the only place that get's warm is around the disc drive when something is running in the drive. Now I never turn my system off and I only remove the disc when I am changing the disc with no problems of any kind.

Ultra-BEN27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Ultra-BEN27

Well even if i place it on a small table right in the middle of my living room. After 20 minutes playing BF2 demo the fan starts being more loud. When i play GTA4 or GT5 it doesn't! How come BF2 makes it go on like that...I'll putting it on the vertical, but i'm affraid of bagging the small table and my PS3 falling :(

Should i try the INTERCOOLER??? They got good ones at best buy...I think it's the pellican ones? I heard they're the only good ones.

C_BozkurT_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 C_BozkurT_C
Member since 2008 • 3580 Posts
it's not a big deal. the fans are merely doing their job.
pwnmachine244

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 pwnmachine244
Member since 2008 • 536 Posts

Yeah, you don't have to worry about turning it off, mine goes into full throttle all the time and I still keep playing, PCs do the same thing-and nothing ever happens to them. (At least, no physical damage.)

Just keep playing and the PS3 should get more or less "used" to the game, and the fans will take a break.

Videodogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Videodogg
Member since 2002 • 12611 Posts
My fans run all the time. It wont hurt your ps3. Dont worry about it. Just make sure you have good ventilation..it gets really hot on the right side where the air blows out.
Ultra-BEN27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Ultra-BEN27
So i shouldn't worry about my PS3 when fans get louder??
Where is the best place to have a fan blowing wind at my PS3?? ( Front, side or back?? )
quahk2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 quahk2003
Member since 2005 • 63 Posts

well...i'm from malaysia.. mayb u guys might know that...is kinda whole year hot...i have test my ps3 while playing which is 85 degrees....i been playing few hours...nothing happen...but the fan of the ps3 will only goes to "gear 1"..slightly notice the sound...but nothing else happen...

PS: i'm using the intercooler for my ps3... **the main reason i buy the intercooler...not becoz afraid the PS3 overheat..although is not happen to me... is for the blu ray lens....so that will keep the blu ray lens..out of heat..

marterikster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 marterikster
Member since 2007 • 934 Posts
You should try cleaning the air holes on your ps3
D-Camo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#19 D-Camo
Member since 2005 • 1041 Posts

well...i'm from malaysia.. mayb u guys might know that...is kinda whole year hot...i have test my ps3 while playing which is 85 degrees....i been playing few hours...nothing happen...but the fan of the ps3 will only goes to "gear 1"..slightly notice the sound...but nothing else happen...

PS: i'm using the intercooler for my ps3... **the main reason i buy the intercooler...not becoz afraid the PS3 overheat..although is not happen to me... is for the blu ray lens....so that will keep the blu ray lens..out of heat..

quahk2003
Bro, I'm from Malaysia too. Mind if I took down your PSN ID??/
Ultra-BEN27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Ultra-BEN27
You should try cleaning the air holes on your ps3marterikster

The air holes are all clean! I don't have any dust on it!
moshakirby18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 moshakirby18
Member since 2006 • 1665 Posts
Wait wait, when you say 5th gear, you just mean it's going faster? Or the fan speed has increased 5 steps?

One is much worse than the other.

If it's just speeding up a bit (1 step), relax it happens all the times, if it's going ridiculously fast and very loud then stick it upright, it does not make disk drives fail faster.
Ultra-BEN27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Ultra-BEN27

Wait wait, when you say 5th gear, you just mean it's going faster? Or the fan speed has increased 5 steps?

If it's just speeding up a bit (1 step), relax it happens all the times, if it's going ridiculously fast and very loud then stick it upright, it does not make disk drives fail faster.
moshakirby18

Well it goes from not making any noise at ALL to making noise. I can't really judge witch step it goes at cause its always the same level of noise...I just hear the fan and when i put my hand in the back there's some heat. I'm just trying to keep it safe here.

Buy like a rich man and save riches like a poor man is what i have to say!

Ultra-BEN27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Ultra-BEN27
I guess i'm a little over-protective :)
Like to keep my baby nice nad cool! That's all!
moshakirby18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 moshakirby18
Member since 2006 • 1665 Posts

[QUOTE="moshakirby18"]Wait wait, when you say 5th gear, you just mean it's going faster? Or the fan speed has increased 5 steps?

Ultra-BEN27

Well it goes from not making any noise at ALL to making noise. I can't really judge witch step it goes at cause its always the same level of noise...I just hear the fan and when i put my hand in the back there's some heat. I'm just trying to keep it safe here.

Buy like a rich man and save riches like a poor man is what i have to say!

Yeah you're just being paranoid, that's what happens when it starts doing a little work, it gets a bit hotter, if it soudns like a jet taking off then you might want to look into it.
Just turn your sound up or something.
EmperorSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26 EmperorSupreme
Member since 2006 • 7686 Posts

You should try cleaning the air holes on your ps3marterikster

I suggest this too, goto Costco and buy a package of canned air. I use it to blow out all my electronics every few months. Just make sure to unplug them and take them outside first. It will keep the heatsinks dust free and allow for them to work the most efficiently.

Also it's going to be louder because it's hot and it's summer :)

Wild_Card

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#27 Wild_Card
Member since 2005 • 4034 Posts

Anyone knows where i can put my PS3 so the fan doesn't hit 5 th gear after 20 min???
It's pretty humid where i live and even with an air conditionner and a fan right in front the fan keeps going full throttle all the time. Where should i put it?? Every time it does that i don't take any chances and save my game to turn it off.
It's pretty annoying! I don't want it to be on the vertical, cause i heard that it makes the BR drive fail faster!

Ultra-BEN27
try doning the speed fan test. my ps3 had gotten to were it would start running in high fan mod after a little while even though it was in a very cool area. when it wiuld go into high speed fan it would never speed down even after sitting with no game going for 10 min. so what i did was run the speed fan test or self cleaning mod and after that it started playing normal again.
Wild_Card

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#28 Wild_Card
Member since 2005 • 4034 Posts
be carefull about compressed air. problem with that is all to aften it blows the dust around in side the system and getts it into bad places like on the blueray drive laser lens. it is recommended to use a vacume. like a shop vac or if you house vacume has a hose attachment to use that. that will pull the dust on threw and be less likely to scater it around in side your system.
Ultra-BEN27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Ultra-BEN27

it doesnt make the bluray drive fail, your dumb for thinking that, why would they design it to go both ways? Putting it verticle may be the only way to not have fan running fast. I have mine verticle and it only runs fast when im playing GTA IV or Gran turismo. Face your fears.

brownwhale

Don't call me dumb! You've been moderated for that HAHA!!

cooldust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 cooldust
Member since 2006 • 3283 Posts
My ps3 fans go crazy when i play battle field bad company demo and GTA IV
cooldust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 cooldust
Member since 2006 • 3283 Posts
My ps3 fans go crazy when i play battle field bad company demo and GTA IV
Triv1um

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Triv1um
Member since 2008 • 48 Posts

It will give you a warning message when it get too warm.

The ps3 can handle alot of heat. When/if you get the warning message. Give it a rest.

It will be fine.

aka_aj03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 aka_aj03
Member since 2004 • 5911 Posts

The ps3 can handle alot of heat. When/if you get the warning message. Give it a rest.

It will be fine.

Triv1um
The warning message is the red blinking light and PS3 will shut off... right?
Triv1um

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Triv1um
[QUOTE="Triv1um"]

It will be fine.

aka_aj03

No, you will get a message in the corner telling you that the system is too hot. And tells you to turn it off.

Then if you dont and it gets warmer it will take it into its own hands to stop any damage.

Ultra-BEN27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Ultra-BEN27

It will be fine.

Triv1um

Thanks for your advise...I'll try the fan speed test tonight when i get home from work.
I turn off the switch then back on while holding the eject button??

daveg1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#36 daveg1
Member since 2005 • 20405 Posts
its a problem with your ps3's thermastat phone sony and they will fix it for you..
Denji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#37 Denji
Member since 2003 • 12757 Posts
Well I live in a 6th floor apartment. Pretty hot here and just have 1 fan. We've had nothing but heat waves and flash storms for a week now. My PS3 is fine cause I have it on top of my TV stand with nothing too close to it. PS3 is a "breathing machine". You close in that breathing space and you'll have problems. Always keep it out in the open.
jblazesolid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 jblazesolid
Member since 2008 • 177 Posts

i heard compressed air was bad for a system cause it blows dust all inside, i use a vacumm cleaner to suck out dust from the vents after dusting it.... between my hdtv, ps3 and xbox 360 i got in my computer room it gets pretty dusty, right around there....... but for the heat keep it away from heat and keep the room cool should be ok

aka_aj03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 aka_aj03
Member since 2004 • 5911 Posts
[QUOTE="aka_aj03"][QUOTE="Triv1um"]

It will be fine.

Triv1um

No, you will get a message in the corner telling you that the system is too hot. And tells you to turn it off.

Then if you dont and it gets warmer it will take it into its own hands to stop any damage.

I never got any message in the corner saying the system is too hot (Do you have to enable this feature?)... my PS3 will automatically shut-off if it get too hot or something. It will first beep twice and it will shut-off and the red light will blink.
Ultra-BEN27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Ultra-BEN27

its a problem with your ps3's thermastat phone sony and they will fix it for you..daveg1

Well i don'T think it's a problem with the termastat cause it doesn't do it when playing GT5!
It does it sometimes when playing GTA4...Only BF2 demo makes it go after 20 min ( That's what i don't find normal )
I'll vacuuming it!

Just want to know where is the best spot for having a fan blow air on it?
FRONT, SIDE OR BACK???

Triv1um

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Triv1um

If you want to vaccum do it at the back. It expels air from the back.

Not advised, it will be fine. Trust me.

Ultra-BEN27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Ultra-BEN27

Triv1um

Not advise, it will fine?? So does this mean i can or can't vaccum it?

xFullSurfacex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 xFullSurfacex
Member since 2008 • 285 Posts
Mine is doing the same thing, I think it's dust inside. I have no dust in the vents but that doesn't mean there are no dust inside. IDK maybe i'll get the intercooler.
Triv1um

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Triv1um
[QUOTE="Triv1um"]

Ultra-BEN27

Not advise, it will fine?? So does this mean i can or can't vaccum it?

You can vaccum it. It wont make any difference though.

quahk2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 quahk2003
Member since 2005 • 63 Posts
[QUOTE="quahk2003"]

D-Camo

Bro, I'm from Malaysia too. Mind if I took down your PSN ID??/

go ahead....thats y i display my PSN ^^

brownthrilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#46 brownthrilla
Member since 2006 • 908 Posts
So i shouldn't worry about my PS3 when fans get louder??
Where is the best place to have a fan blowing wind at my PS3?? ( Front, side or back?? )
Ultra-BEN27
I have a fan facing sideways right behind it so it helps blow away warm air and i face the fan so it helps cool where the hard drive is.
bolamite_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 bolamite_basic
Member since 2002 • 45 Posts
Mine's been doing the same thing lately. The fan kicks on high even when it's just idling in the XMB. I'm not neccesarily worried about the fan running, it only bothers me because the PS3 never actually gets hot. Seems like its running on high for no reason. BTW 60gb launch unit, never had any others problems.
Afro_Samurai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#48 Afro_Samurai
Member since 2005 • 603 Posts

Ultra-BEN27

I don't know where you are but I'm in NYC. Right now NYC is pretty hot. When I play my PS3 it does the same thing, but I'm not really worried about it overheating because I bought an INTERCOOLER for it. I think that this device helps, others will disagree with me. Costs about 20-30 bucks the store. As far as where you should put your system, it should be somewhere where it can "breathe". In other words, someplace where the flow of air isn't being blocked or recirculated quickly (i.e. having your PS3 in a small enclosure benathe your tv set which I had no choice but to put mine !!)

T-Machine99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 T-Machine99
Member since 2007 • 1848 Posts
My fan goes really loud maybe after an hour or 2.
Marksman2200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#50 Marksman2200
Member since 2007 • 23037 Posts
I have my PS3 on for days on days at a time.. My fan rarely goes into full speed.