Ps3 fan is starting to kick into high gear; is that a problem?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

StewieZim101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 StewieZim101
Member since 2007 • 1081 Posts

When I was playing Uncharted 2 on my Ps3 the past few mornings, the fan in the back started kicking into high gear. This morning, I popped Uncharted 2 out and put in inFAMOUS and played for about 3 hours; the fan stayed at a low speed through out the game, versus ~20 minutes with Uncharted 2 before the high speed started. Is this because of the amount of things that need to be processed w/ Uncharted 2? Or do I need to clean my fan out? Or is my Ps3 about to YLOD? What are your suggestions? Thank you in advanced.

GC4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 GC4ever
Member since 2004 • 3044 Posts

it's just warm and is trying to cool down
playing for more than 3 hours can do that....

StewieZim101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 StewieZim101

GC4ever

Sorry, I should've rephrased that: I put in Uncharted 2 in right after I turned the Ps3 on which had been resting for ~17 hours. After the fan turned on high speed, I put in inFAMOUS to see if it would do the same thing, which it didn't.

GC4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 GC4ever
Member since 2004 • 3044 Posts

ya could be just the game itself
it it a lot bigger than imFamous

cropcircles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 cropcircles
Member since 2010 • 309 Posts
im pretty sure it's the game. demon's souls makes my fan really loud.
redskins2156

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 redskins2156
Member since 2007 • 2553 Posts

Yeah really, and than people wonder why they got ylod. TC, dude take a 15 minute break every hour, and use compressed air to clean that sucker. Most people are against compressed air, but I'm not. Whenever I use the compressed air can, I see a LOAD of dust fly out every time. And my ps3's fans don't even reach second gear until a few weeks later when more dust builds up.

GC4ever

StewieZim101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 StewieZim101

Yeah really, and than people wonder why they got ylod. TC, dude take a 15 minute break every hour, and use compressed air to clean that sucker. Most people are against compressed air, but I'm not. Whenever I use the compressed air can, I see a LOAD of dust fly out every time. And my ps3's fans don't even reach second gear until a few weeks later when more dust builds up.

redskins2156

Hmmm, I don't have any compressed air cans. Would a vaccum cleaner get the job done?

MushroomWig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 MushroomWig
Member since 2009 • 11625 Posts
Dusty perhaps? After my original console died, I opened it up and there was a thick layer of dust on the fan.
StewieZim101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 StewieZim101
Dusty perhaps? After my original console died, I opened it up and there was a thick layer of dust on the fan.MushroomWig
I think that may be it. Any ways to get out other than compressed air and opening it?
MushroomWig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 MushroomWig
[QUOTE="MushroomWig"]Dusty perhaps? After my original console died, I opened it up and there was a thick layer of dust on the fan.StewieZim101
I think that may be it. Any ways to get out other than compressed air and opening it?

A few people have suggested using a hoover, but I was never really sold on that idea. xD
Bubble_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11 Bubble_Man
Member since 2006 • 3100 Posts

Some games work the system harder than others. Red Dead Redemption and Dead Space made mine rev up more than others. If they make another game with the word "dead" in the title, I'll have to see if it does the same. :P

RTUUMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 RTUUMM
Member since 2008 • 4859 Posts

Yeah I had my PS3 for 2 years now and that started happening to me around March, its so annoying. If my AC isnt on then my ps3 fan sounds like a leaf blower, If I have my AC on around 70 degress then my ps3 is normal and silent. I cant play my PS3 at room temperature :(

RTUUMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 RTUUMM

Some games work the system harder than others. Red Dead Redemption and Dead Space made mine rev up more than others. If they make another game with the word "dead" in the title, I'll have to see if it does the same. :P

Bubble_Man
IDK but the fan problem started happing when I was playing GOW3 (near to end of the game when thing were getting intense) and now it does that for every game right away on the main menus unless I have my AC on
Bubble_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#14 Bubble_Man
Member since 2006 • 3100 Posts

[QUOTE="Bubble_Man"]

RTUUMM

IDK but the fan problem started happing when I was playing GOW3 (near to end of the game when thing were getting intense) and now it does that for every game right away on the main menus unless I have my AC on

Was it recently that you played GOW3? If you don't run the ac much, it could simply be that the hottest part of Summer is quickly approaching.

i_noseworthy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 i_noseworthy
Member since 2003 • 1585 Posts
Yeah really, and than people wonder why they got ylod. TC, dude take a 15 minute break every hour...redskins2156
Come on, who actually does that? If a system can't last for more than an hour at a time, it's inherently flawed. Think about it. If you were to watch, say, Lord of the Rings on Blu-Ray, are you going to turn it off every hour to let the system rest? If so, you really shouldn't have to. If a Blu-Ray movie (known to be harder on the system) shouldn't be a problem, then neither should games. MANY people play games for much longer than 3 hours, and it doesn't always lead to the YLoD. The YLoD, just like the RRoD on 360's, is due to faulty hardware. Not user error. On topic, yes it is likely the game. The more the GPU and CPU are used, the higher the heat wil be, and subsequently the fan will speed up to cool the system down.
GramDubs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 GramDubs
Member since 2010 • 636 Posts

mine does that whenever its hot, dont play it in a hot room, air conditioned is good, and u need to vacuum the vents

Kennyb324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Kennyb324
Member since 2009 • 218 Posts

Its completely normal for Uncharted 2 to make the Ps3 do that. I remember getting UC2 as soon as it came out and playing it on my ps3 slim and the first things i heard was the Fans kicking into overtime. Uc2 uses everypart of the PS3 and thats why the fans are louder than usual. dont worry about cleaning your ps3 b/c its normal for it to happen with Uc2, it happens to me everytime and i clean my ps3 once a week.

Avatar image for deactivated-638d165ba095d
deactivated-638d165ba095d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-638d165ba095d
Member since 2002 • 753 Posts
NEVER USE AIR CAN. Get a vacuum to take the dust out. Air conditioned room is nice to.
Slacker4life77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#19 Slacker4life77
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts

I had the same problem with my B/C fatty, i even took it apart and put on new thermal paste. even after it was completely dust free and had new thermal paste the fan still kicks up even after like 15 mins of just being on the menu, it would still play fine for hours but would just be loud.

i actually ended up buying a new slim last night, quiet as can be. guess i'll sell my old b/c fatty or something....

Respawn-d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Respawn-d
Member since 2010 • 2936 Posts

If its really high it means ylod is close (andI mean close) deactivate your account and save all data to usb NOW. My ps3 just ylod for the sec time so I know what Im talking about

Respawn-d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Respawn-d
Member since 2010 • 2936 Posts
NEVER USE AIR CAN. Get a vacuum to take the dust out. Air conditioned room is nice to.Velocity
Why not?
sandyxpcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 sandyxpcn
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts

Yep my ps3 goes much louder when playing Uncharted 2 too.

redskins2156

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 redskins2156
Member since 2007 • 2553 Posts

I already know what he's gonna say. "the dust gets packedfurther down in the ps3". I've heard many people say that and its totally false. Just think to yourself how light dust is, there is no weight to it at all. You blow it with enough force its going tofly out from the nearest vent.

[QUOTE="Velocity"]NEVER USE AIR CAN. Get a vacuum to take the dust out. Air conditioned room is nice to.Respawn-d
Why not?

StewieZim101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 StewieZim101

If its really high it means ylod is close (andI mean close) deactivate your account and save all data to usb NOW. My ps3 just ylod for the sec time so I know what Im talking about

Respawn-d
I don't think so; after trying some other games, I notice it only kicks into high gear with UC2, and even then after~20 minutes it goes back into low gear. I figured it was just the game, but I cleaned out my Ps3 just be sure. I put UC2 back, and it still does it. It's the game itself. Thank you all those that gave me suggestions and advice. :)
AznKSor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#25 AznKSor
Member since 2010 • 1400 Posts

Its the Game my friend.Uncharted 2 are one of the first games to actually harness the power of the PS3 for the first time. The PS3 is a powerfull machine but there arent games the use's all of its power until uncharted game.Just dont play to long cause thats one cause.

RTUUMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 RTUUMM

[QUOTE="RTUUMM"][QUOTE="Bubble_Man"]

Bubble_Man

Was it recently that you played GOW3? If you don't run the ac much, it could simply be that the hottest part of Summer is quickly approaching.

I was thinking it might of been that, but I have my ps3 for 2+ years and I live in South Florida and its always pretty hot here even (even in November and sometimes even December its hot here, I remember like 2 years ago when winter never came) and my never did that untill I got GOW3 in march

TSNAKE617

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 TSNAKE617
Member since 2008 • 5494 Posts

Uncharted 2 makes the PS3 do a lot more work than inFamous, so that's probably what causes it. RDR does the same thing for me.

fm_coyote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 fm_coyote
Member since 2003 • 952 Posts
[QUOTE="Velocity"]NEVER USE AIR CAN. Get a vacuum to take the dust out. Air conditioned room is nice to.Respawn-d
Why not?

Because if you tilt it the wrong way the gas will come out, and can possibly short something. It says it in both the 360 and PS3 manual, not to use compressed air. It says in the manual to actually use the brush attachment on your vacuum. Id rather play things safe, even when you're careful with those things they sometimes release a small puff of the gas.
racing1750

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#29 racing1750
Member since 2010 • 14567 Posts
Hoover your vents.
i_noseworthy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 i_noseworthy
Member since 2003 • 1585 Posts
[QUOTE="Respawn-d"][QUOTE="Velocity"]NEVER USE AIR CAN. Get a vacuum to take the dust out. Air conditioned room is nice to.fm_coyote
Why not?

Because if you tilt it the wrong way the gas will come out, and can possibly short something. It says it in both the 360 and PS3 manual, not to use compressed air. It says in the manual to actually use the brush attachment on your vacuum. Id rather play things safe, even when you're careful with those things they sometimes release a small puff of the gas.

It's true. If you tilt it or shake it while spraying your system, the propellant can spray out of the can and into your system. It freezes instantly, and will cause condensation inside your console, which can short the circuits. If you're not careful, it can happen. Although it's not likely if you have any sense about what you're doing. Personally, I use a small keyboard Vac I got from Radio Shack years ago. Works perfectly.
Venom_Raptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 124

#31 Venom_Raptor
Member since 2010 • 6959 Posts

Mine does that to ocassionally, don't worry about it :)

MushroomWig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 MushroomWig
The hot weather doesn't help. :(
ClevBeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 ClevBeast
Member since 2009 • 269 Posts

when I was playing GOW3 (near to end of the game when thing were getting intense) and now it does that for every game right away on the main menus unless I have my AC onRTUUMM

Maybe you were getting hotter as you were getting excited and this made the PS3 hot. Were you sat near it or on it?

johny300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 johny300
Member since 2010 • 12496 Posts
Get youre ps3 cleaned.