PS3 DVD playback problem - code 80029941

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Laxe84 (438 posts) -
I've just recently bought a new DVD and when I try to play it on my PS3 I get a "This video cannot be played" error with the code '80029941'. Has anyone else heard about this or know how to fix it?
#2 Posted by 360player_eq12 (2214 posts) -
not sure after i downloaded the new firmware 2 days ago my ps3 wont play dvds.....just stays at a black screen till i restart it.:(
#3 Posted by mobius1979 (690 posts) -

not sure after i downloaded the new firmware 2 days ago my ps3 wont play dvds.....just stays at a black screen till i restart it.:(360player_eq12

works fine for me

you guys should really call up sony before you post your problems here :roll:

then tell us what the problem is and what sony said or did to fix the problem.

just my 2 cents

#4 Posted by GARRYTH (6870 posts) -

[QUOTE="360player_eq12"]not sure after i downloaded the new firmware 2 days ago my ps3 wont play dvds.....just stays at a black screen till i restart it.:(mobius1979

works fine for me

just my 2 cents

i second that and im glad that sometimes we can ask people on here for help but some of you guys at like we have that code book next to us. i do wish sony can put up a site and enter the code and tell us what it is. this way it saves us time and them less phone calls.
#5 Posted by 360player_eq12 (2214 posts) -
[QUOTE="mobius1979"]

[QUOTE="360player_eq12"]not sure after i downloaded the new firmware 2 days ago my ps3 wont play dvds.....just stays at a black screen till i restart it.:(GARRYTH

works fine for me

just my 2 cents

i second that and im glad that sometimes we can ask people on here for help but some of you guys at like we have that code book next to us. i do wish sony can put up a site and enter the code and tell us what it is. this way it saves us time and them less phone calls.

not sure i wasent asking a question ive been on hold with sony for a while now....thx for not helping the tc tho.

#6 Posted by Laxe84 (438 posts) -

It's cool, thanks for the advice guys. I checked the other DVD's and they work just fine so since it was a box set I'm left to conclude that the first DVD wasn't burnt properly. Already taken it back for a refund. As for the code issue, I seriously had no luck finding much on Google which was very surprising - the only reference was about people making BD-R and the PS3 being very picky about how it's burnt.

360Player: what did Sony say to you?

#7 Posted by deseojon (25 posts) -
My PS3 won't play any regular dvds (not just burned ones) and needs to be restarted to sometimes play one and the one I'm trying to play today played for about an hour and then froze and gave me the (8002994) error code as well. My PS3 is only 3 months old!
#8 Posted by marktharparms (25 posts) -
My PS3 won't play any regular dvds (not just burned ones) and needs to be restarted to sometimes play one and the one I'm trying to play today played for about an hour and then froze and gave me the (8002994) error code as well. My PS3 is only 3 months old!deseojon
Try switching off Upscaling for DVDs; I've had a similar problem with my PS3 since changing my TV, but once I switched off the Upscaling option in the Video Settings menu, DVDs have played fine.