PS3 compatible USB sticks - help!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

sackperson82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 sackperson82
Member since 2011 • 28 Posts
I wish to backup my game saves in case of system failure, trouble is I have a PS3 Slim and so my only options for backing up saves are either an external hard drive or a USB device. As I don't use my PS3 for music/movies and have about 20 games I don't really feel the need to invest in another hard drive, plus the sticks are more convenient, easily fitting in a drawer somewhere. There are about eight million different sticks to choose from though! I have no idea which of them is any good for easily backing up PS3 game saves (and neither did the tech support guys at the store). I need a USB stick/pen/drive/device that I can plug straight into my PS3 (Slim) and copy my saves to. Then I have to be sure those saves can be transferred in working order to another PS3 in case I ever need a new one (I've read something somewhere about copied saves not being recognized by other PS3 systems than the one the files were originally created on...). So does anyone have any recommendations of particular kinds/brands of sticks? Maybe I should get one of those card adaptors? If mentioned USB stick doesn't exist that is. Apparently this adaptor allows PS3 Slim owners to access the memory stick and SD card options etc. of the fat PS3. Not sure if that would be better/more convenient or just provide me with more useless options though. I miss PlayStation specific memory cards.
Mondrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Mondrath
Member since 2007 • 314 Posts

any USB stick will work as log as it is formatted as FAT32

Atmanix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Atmanix
Member since 2009 • 6927 Posts

any USB stick will work as log as it is formatted as FAT32

Mondrath

Yes. I've used several USB drives in my PS3 over the last several years and they've all been fine. You're worrying a bit too much :P

I just wish you were able to copy ALL games to a USB drive.

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#4 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
I had one(lost it) formatted in NTFS and it worked fine. It was a Kingston 4Gb ermm... Traveler or something.
sackperson82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 sackperson82
I know this is a very late reply, PC had to be repaired... anyway I was wondering, do I have to plug the USB stick into a PC and configure/format it before it will work on my PS3 or can I plug it into the PS3 right away and copy my game saves (and later retrieve them) immediately?
passion_shades

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 passion_shades
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
You should just be able to plug in and save.
clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 clr84651
Member since 2010 • 5643 Posts

I'd suggest a 16 gb USB Flashdrive or larger. Any will work!!!

sackperson82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 sackperson82
Sounds good. So I won't have to plug the stick into a PC ever then? I think I've read something about having to create folders somewhere but I don't know if this is a requirement, especially since I'm only going to be storing game saves. By the way, does it matter if you insert/remove a stick while the PS3 is on/off? I always turned my PS2 off before inserting or removing memory cards. Last but not least, In the PS3 manual it says that using a USB stick's write protection switch may damage the PS3... what does this mean? Most USB sticks don't even have a switch on them. Come to think of it this is the reason I'm giving this whole thing so much thought, the manual didn't really tell me anything.
sackperson82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 sackperson82
Anyone? You're right, I probably worry too much. I'll forget about folders and sliders, folders shouldn't be necessary if I can just plug in and start copying and when the USB stick doesn't have a switch/slider then I guess its no reason to worry about that either. I suppose the stick can be inserted or removed whether the PS3 is on or off as long as I don't remove it while data is being transmitted? If I'm wrong please let me know whether I should turn the PS3 off or leave it on whenever inserting/removing the stick.
2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

You should just be able to plug in and save.passion_shades

Not so sure about that. I've used two different sticks, had to format both first. I *THINK* I had to format them on my PC then bring them over to my PS3. If the stick is in the wrong format I'm not sure if the PS3 can/will format it it for you or not. I seem to remember it didn't even regoznize the USB stick until it was in the correct file format, but i"m not 100% sure.

jcopp72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 jcopp72
Member since 2007 • 5375 Posts
any USB flash drive (stick) will work. Just remember that with using a USB stick is that some game saves are copy protected and can not be saved to the stick.
12amHomicide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 12amHomicide
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
damn, wish I could do my backups on a flash drive. I had to use a 320Gb HD to my last back up.
sackperson82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 sackperson82

[QUOTE="passion_shades"]You should just be able to plug in and save.2Chalupas

Not so sure about that. I've used two different sticks, had to format both first. I *THINK* I had to format them on my PC then bring them over to my PS3. If the stick is in the wrong format I'm not sure if the PS3 can/will format it it for you or not. I seem to remember it didn't even regoznize the USB stick until it was in the correct file format, but i"m not 100% sure.

I guess this means only sticks that are shipped as FAT32 will work (unless you format it through a PC that is)? Most sticks are shipped as FAT32, I think... so I guess that means I'll just be able to plug in and copy if I'm lucky? As long as buying a "wrong" format stick won't affect the PS3 (or any of its saved data!) I'm willing to buy a random stick and try it out. Please let me know if I'm wrong about any of this, I feel like I'm guessing a lot here.
1337h4xx0rz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 1337h4xx0rz
Member since 2008 • 314 Posts

[QUOTE="2Chalupas"]

[QUOTE="passion_shades"]You should just be able to plug in and save.sackperson82

I guess this means only sticks that are shipped as FAT32 will work (unless you format it through a PC that is)? Most sticks are shipped as FAT32, I think... so I guess that means I'll just be able to plug in and copy if I'm lucky? As long as buying a "wrong" format stick won't affect the PS3 (or any of its saved data!) I'm willing to buy a random stick and try it out. Please let me know if I'm wrong about any of this, I feel like I'm guessing a lot here.

NTFS formatted stick will work fine. Mine is NTFS (because I used it to install windows from USB) and it copied all the save files no problem.

sackperson82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 sackperson82
If both FAT32 and NTFS work then how come you can't just plug in and play any USB stick? I've never heard of sticks being shipped in other formats than these, so it sounds as though theres small chance of them not working... unless no sticks are plug in and copy that is.
BibiMaghoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 BibiMaghoo
Member since 2009 • 4018 Posts
NTFS sticks will work fine, but not if they are over 4gig in size. To have over 4gig it needs to be Fat32.
sackperson82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 sackperson82
NTFS sticks will work fine, but not if they are over 4gig in size. To have over 4gig it needs to be Fat32. BibiMaghoo
Oh, this might mean people whose sticks didn't work have been NTFS sticks with more than 4GB on them, good thing to know. I guess I could buy a random 4GB stick and try it out then. If anyone here were able to just plug the USB stick into the PS3 and start copying right away without having to configure/format the stick please let me know, as that is what I've been looking for all along - a PS3 memory card. Worst thing that could happen is it won't work (as long as I avoid the ones with sliders on them...) right?
BibiMaghoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 BibiMaghoo
its something to do with the file structure that causes problems above 4g on a NTFS stick, all will work but only Fat32 above the 4 gig. same with external hard drives, except all of them are above 4 gig, so need to be fat32. I discovered this after filing my 250gig NTFS drive to the brim lol.
BibiMaghoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 BibiMaghoo
also, you can reformat a stick in your pc to either fat or ntfs, so if you have a stick above 4gig on ntfs, pop it into your pc, do a quick format but change it to fat32 and your good to go.
Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#20 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

I've got a Kingston Data Traveler 8 GB and that works fine. Also have a smaller capacity one, same brand, and that works fine too. Never had to format them or anything.

BibiMaghoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 BibiMaghoo

I've got a Kingston Data Traveler 8 GB and that works fine. Also have a smaller capacity one, same brand, and that works fine too. Never had to format them or anything.

Jackc8
that just means you were lucky enough to get one already on the fat32 file structure, or you did your research first lol
sackperson82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 sackperson82
Alright, I'm convinced I'll get a USB stick in the near future then, thanks for the helpful advice everyone. Only one of my questions remain, does it matter if the PS3 is turned on or off while inserting or removing USB sticks? I would guess not as long as its not removed while transmitting data, though I'd like to be sure. I'm used to turning the PS2 off before inserting or removing anything.
BibiMaghoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 BibiMaghoo
it wont mak any difference. Most are formatted for 'quick removal'. You can do this yourself on a pc, by going to quick format and marking the check box. PS3 is configured to do this anyway though, so it doesnt matter if its switched on or off.