PS3 can't read discs...dieing?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for LivingDeadNinja
LivingDeadNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1 LivingDeadNinja
Member since 2003 • 8110 Posts

Yeah so the title says it all.

Some days ago i insert Resistance. Game disc starts loading, then goes back to the XMB and says something like "couldn't start the disc / couldn't proceed the disc startup operation" or something along those lines. I freak, eject, retry. Same result. Do it a third time, then i get no error messages at all...just nothing happens!

At this point i'm really freaking. So i do a complete shutdown by the back switch. I only restarted it 2 days after to install 2.41 update (by the way i never installed 2.40 so that couldn't be the reason for problems). System is fine and all, updated. I can play videos, music, demos, downloads. So i retry a PS3 disc. Nothing. I then proceed to try a CD, DVD, Blu-Ray, PS1, PS2 and PS3 disc. Not a single type of disc is being read by my PS3 anymore. It stays on the XMB and nothing happens, except the small circle icon at the top right meaning the system is reading something stays active. But i let it try to read some discs for like an hour with no results.

So it seems only the Blu-Ray drive/disc reader doen't work. That really sucks to have that right now.

Is there anythign i can do? Or do i have to call Sony and get it repaired/replaced? If so can anyone give me the number where we have to call...i'm in Canada if that matters.

On a side note what's up with the PSN Video Store? It's not available in Canada it seems...Sony never said it would be US only. Will it be available soon or what?

CityOfShips

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 CityOfShips
Member since 2008 • 654 Posts

The only way i know of to get it fixed is by calling sony and if your ps3 warranty has expired it will cost you $150:?

The US/ Canada tech number is 1-800-345-7669

And i think copyright laws are keeping the video store from canada but im not sure.

LivingDeadNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 LivingDeadNinja

Thanks.

I'm NOT paying $150 to repair a 60 GB system i paid full price in 2007... especially considering it should not have stopped working for no reasons.

bdhoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 bdhoff
Member since 2003 • 4104 Posts

Thanks.

I'm NOT paying $150 to repair a 60 GB system i paid full price in 2007... especially considering it should not have stopped working for no reasons.

LivingDeadNinja
It seems that we're starting to see this problem more and more often even though the die-hard fans won't admit it. But yeah, if you want your system fixed you'll have to pay the $150 repair cost for an out-of-warranty system. My warranty expires next week, so I'm starting to get nervous.
RazerOfHellVII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#5 RazerOfHellVII
Member since 2008 • 510 Posts

Yeah so the title says it all.

Some days ago i insert Resistance. Game disc starts loading, then goes back to the XMB and says something like "couldn't start the disc / couldn't proceed the disc startup operation" or something along those lines. I freak, eject, retry. Same result. Do it a third time, then i get no error messages at all...just nothing happens!

At this point i'm really freaking. So i do a complete shutdown by the back switch. I only restarted it 2 days after to install 2.41 update (by the way i never installed 2.40 so that couldn't be the reason for problems). System is fine and all, updated. I can play videos, music, demos, downloads. So i retry a PS3 disc. Nothing. I then proceed to try a CD, DVD, Blu-Ray, PS1, PS2 and PS3 disc. Not a single type of disc is being read by my PS3 anymore. It stays on the XMB and nothing happens, except the small circle icon at the top right meaning the system is reading something stays active. But i let it try to read some discs for like an hour with no results.

So it seems only the Blu-Ray drive/disc reader doen't work. That really sucks to have that right now.

Is there anythign i can do? Or do i have to call Sony and get it repaired/replaced? If so can anyone give me the number where we have to call...i'm in Canada if that matters.

On a side note what's up with the PSN Video Store? It's not available in Canada it seems...Sony never said it would be US only. Will it be available soon or what?

LivingDeadNinja

Dude that sucks ass

TheSystemLord1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#6 TheSystemLord1
Member since 2006 • 7786 Posts

Thanks.

LivingDeadNinja

Then enjoy your new 40gb/80gb or no PS3 at all. Just pay and have it fixed.

zeriva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 zeriva
Member since 2007 • 4531 Posts

Thanks.

LivingDeadNinja

Then that's not or problem if you're not going to pay to repair it. Just enjoy a broken PS3 then.

FuaTokoFau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 FuaTokoFau
Member since 2007 • 175 Posts
If your system is only a couple of months out of waranty it may still be fixed for free. Just call them. Mine is on its way back right now. UPS are taking their time. They took it from Mexico to somewhere in Texas then back to Mexico then to Dallas, gimme a break!
ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ThePlothole
Member since 2007 • 11515 Posts

One thing you could try before handing over a 150 bucks is to actually clean the drive (or rather the laser). I think Maxwell makes a cleaner kit specifically for blu-ray... or if you're the daring type, there are tutorials out there for taking the PS3 apart and cleaning it manually.

LivingDeadNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 LivingDeadNinja

Wow! Thanks for the coments like "that's not our problem" and "enjoy your broken PS3". What a bunch of arses are on here nowadays?!?
Seriously, did i said that it was you guys fault/problem? I was just asking for a little help or something. The Gamespot population goes lower each day, just like the site/staff itself it seems.

Back on topic...i (finally!) called them today. Have a PS2 and played downloads on the PS3 so i could live. Since it's a year and a half they said the only possible outcome is to pay $169 CND. That's it! Dang, i played like 2 PS3 games in full only and watched a couple dvd/bd on it. That strongly blows.

So how about a Blu-Ray/PS3 cleaning kit, do i have some hope on my problem?
Is the 60GB crap? Should i switch it for a 80GB and keep my HDD?
Is transfering the data on my 60GB to a 80GB complicated, what's needed and all?

I'm so mad. Guess my 360 and other systems will keep getting all my game time for a while...:evil: