Oldgun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Oldgun
Member since 2009 • 391 Posts

Xbox has done a fantastic job on bringing backwards compatibility to their current gen machine unlike the PS4 or the PS4 Pro for that matter. PS Now has its limits and we're all aware of that such as internet caps and bandwidths, and its literally not even available in countries outside US and Europe such as UAE (that's where i live).

It's dissapointing that PS4 is still lacking native PS1 backwards compatibility (shockingly) and lackluster PS2 re-releases (which is technically emulation). While a limited library of PS3 games are only available via PS Now, which is not emulation. I have a huge personal library of PS3 games.

I want to discuss or perhaps speculate what would Sony's position be on back compat on PS5?

I hope you all remember that when bleem on PC was launched, it was a major breakthrough on emulation on PC for PS1 games. Sony bled bleem to death with lawsuits and they eventually shutdown. It is also a known fact that Sony hired members of bleem who worked with Sony on bringing old PS1 titles on next gen (PS2). And PS3 had similarly native PS1, PS2 support for backwards compatibility ( PS2 support was removed in later PS3 revisions, to cut costs).

Fast forward today, RPCS3 has been making good progress on PS3 emulation on PC while PCSX2 has near perfect emulation support. Would Sony repeat history as they did with PS1 emulation? i.e. hire talents and bring PS3, PS2 native emulation on PS5, considering PS5 maybe powerful enough to emulate PS3 natively, including PS1 and PS2. I think it would be possible. Such an option would make PS5 immensely attractive over the next Xbox as this option is only what makes Xbox far more superior to PS4 as far as backwards compatibility is concerned.

With Sony heavily investing in cloud and PS Now, it's not feasible and not even available to all consumers who want to have the option to play old games. There is a market outside US and Europe.

Appreciate your thoughts and feedback. Discuss..

ZiRa-Bosnia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#2 ZiRa-Bosnia
Member since 2006 • 90 Posts

It may happen, Cloud gaming is terrible... I wish they create PS3 Emulator like Microsoft did with XBOX 360 backward compatibility on xbox one.

PS5 MIGHT be powerful enough to emulate Cell architecture... we shall see.

People would LOVE that and that would move a lot of PS5 consoles by itself.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
deactivated-5f4e2292197f1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
Member since 2015 • 1374 Posts

Considering they used PS Now as BC for PS4, I highly expect with the dropping of PS3/Vita from PS Now and PS+, that Sony plans to make PS Now the BC of PS5.

Maybe PS4 disc support happens, its very plausible, but I doubt they put in work and effort to allow PS3 disc support let alone PS1 or PS2. They'll likely pull a Nintendo and make some new digital store to resell the same shit we already bought digitally on PS3 and PS4. I'd love if they'd bring all our digital purchases on PS3 to PS5, but I doubt they do anything neat like that, so I anticipate PS Now as only way to play the PS3 classics on PS5.

I wished they'd allow PS1 and PS2 disc support on PS5, I really don't understand why PS3 has 100 PS2 games and a couple hundred PS1 games in digital store, yet PS4 got none of them except a dozen of PS2 games later, games they made you rebuy even if you had them on PS3...its whack.

Mike_Mor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4 Mike_Mor
Member since 2018 • 9 Posts

well that can be sweet buy i doubt it will happen only heard that Microsoft do this stuff

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

@ZiRa-Bosnia said:

It may happen, Cloud gaming is terrible... I wish they create PS3 Emulator like Microsoft did with XBOX 360 backward compatibility on xbox one.

Play AC Odyssey on the Google Cloud service and get back to us.

@Oldgun

PS3 wont be emulated, use PSNow, oh but you cant? why not?

We don't have PSNow in Australia, but there's this thing called using a VPN, try it out, and its not illegal like emulators.

ZiRa-Bosnia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6  Edited By ZiRa-Bosnia
Member since 2006 • 90 Posts

@GTR12:

@GTR12 said:
@ZiRa-Bosnia said:

Play AC Odyssey on the Google Cloud service and get back to us.

@Oldgun

PS3 wont be emulated, use PSNow, oh but you cant? why not?

We don't have PSNow in Australia, but there's this thing called using a VPN, try it out, and its not illegal like emulators.

1. VPN create so much latency where Cloud gaming would be literally unplayable.

2. I've played many cloud games, while some (those like God of War 1 and AC) are barely playable, others like Shooters are NOT!

But who knows, maybe in couple of years technology might improve.

Fiber Optics is a minimum for cloud gaming IMHO. But even that doesn't work always well.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

@ZiRa-Bosnia said:

1. VPN create so much latency where Cloud gaming would be literally unplayable.

2. I've played many cloud games, while some (those like God of War 1 and AC) are barely playable, others like Shooters are NOT!

But who knows, maybe in couple of years technology might improve.

Fiber Optics is a minimum for cloud gaming IMHO. But even that doesn't work always well.

Keep talking nonsense, it makes all the difference.

I have bad internet, I cant even use Shareplay, actually PSNow doesn't even work on my PS4, I have to use my PC.

FO isn't needed, but whatever Google has done, works brilliantly.