PS2 Playing PS1 games - anyone had this problem?

tonyskywalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 tonyskywalker
Member since 2019 • 5 Posts

I have just got a PS2 for my kids (first game console). I have Abe's Odyssey game from PS1 days. It runs in PS2 but the screen rolls down (like credits), so it's totally unusable. I am using HDMI convertor, does anyone know if this means my PS2 can't play this game or is there something I can do to fix the problem? The screen just rolls downwards and loops around continually. Any help appreciated. Thanks

InuboyNetwork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2 InuboyNetwork
Member since 2019 • 6 Posts

I wouldnt use an HDMI converter... its known to cause issues with games built for small box displays.

Vodoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#3 Vodoo
Member since 2003 • 3691 Posts

Use the red, yellow and white RCA composite cables. A lot of newer tv's have these inputs shared within the component input, the green blue, red (for video) and another red and white (for sound).

So you would plug the red and white into those 2 ports where they are next to each other, and then the green colored port can be shared for the yellow composite video signal. It'll be marked on the tv which of the component video ports is shared with the yellow for composite.

If your tv is older and has the red, white, and yellow ports just use that. You can use any type of those colored RCA cables as long as you plug them in the same spots on the tv and console. For example, if you have the green, blue, and red set you can use a blue colored cable for white as long as you plug it into the white ports on both sides. Red into red (for simplicity), and green used as the yellow.

kriggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#4 kriggy
Member since 2008 • 1314 Posts

I wouldn't call out all hdmi-converters though. I have one which has been working flawlessly for a couple of years for many of my retro consoles. So you've probably only gotten a bad one. Try buying an hdmi converter from another manufacturer if you really have to use one.