woodmansteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By woodmansteve
Member since 2019 • 4 Posts

I have recently purchased the first silent hill and I have been really wanting to play it. My ps2 is able to read the disc up to the point of getting to the menu. It takes a solid 10+ minutes to get to the menu where it prompts you to choose either "options" or "difficulty". I am currently trying out my copy of Final Fantasy 7 and same thing happens, except, it doesn't get to the menu. The ps2 reads ps2 games just fine, I am able to play them with no interruptions so I am pretty sure it's not the door that is limiting the game nor is it the laser. I have both my ps1 memory card in and ps2 memory card just in case, I am aware that you don't need the ps1 memory card in to play ps1 games and its just for saving your progress but I am just trying everything. Both of the discs look fairly clean with little surface hair scratches. I am not sure on where to post this so let me know if I am in the right place or if I should go to the retro gaming board. Any help is appreciated.

Update: after waiting around 20 minutes for FF7 to get to a menu, anything but a black screen. I tried with metal gear solid 1 and the same thing happens.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

It's almost certainly the laser. There is a separate laser for the CD read (PS1) and DVD (PS2).

woodmansteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By woodmansteve

@xantufrog: so the only laser that is working is the ps2 laser, alright, thank you for the information. I'll go ahead and replace the laser and give you guys another update. Should I buy more ribbon connectors or should the old ones be fine as long as their undamaged?

woodmansteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 woodmansteve

@xantufrog: I just got done cleaning the laser and it did the same thing, I can try to replace the whole thing with a new laser diode pretty soon. I want to expound on what I mean with what is going on with my console. The game starts and there is no reading error, it gets to the ps1 logo but it doesn't start at the beginning of the sound it cuts in in the middle of the sound. It seems to me that it cuts to the middle of the logo presentation.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator

@woodmansteve: I still think it's the laser. Have you confirmed the disc works? Because it could be the disc has a problem at that point that gets the PS2 in a read loop at that logo.

One way or another, it's totally a read problem - either the disc is bad there, or the failing laser is struggling to read the next bit of data (possibly in turn because of a minor disc issue).

If it were me, I'd simply try another ps1 game before replacing the laser to get a sense if it's specific to that disc and go from there. You've got a very old CD and a very old CD laser notorious for failing, so one or both could be feeding off each other.

No need to replace the cable if you do change the laser

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#6 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

If you're still watching this thread, try turning your PS2 upside down. Sounds weird, I know, but try it. Put the game disc in, close the tray, turn the console off. Gently turn it upside down. Leave it sitting upside down and turn it on. I've seen it work literally dozens of times, with PS2s having issues reading PS1 discs.

CookieCrumbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 CookieCrumbles
Member since 2019 • 29 Posts

@the_bi99man: I did that with my PS1 back in the day. But it's not really a solution. Better to fix the problem than fix the symptoms.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e5d7e6d61227
deactivated-5e5d7e6d61227

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#8 deactivated-5e5d7e6d61227
Member since 2009 • 619 Posts

Go to a Retro-Style store and purchase a PS1 for cheap. You wouldn't have to worry about compatibility problems again. That's what I did.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 xantufrog  Moderator

@TheDarkWolf86: it's not a compatibility problem. His PS2 has PS1 hardware in it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By deactivated-5e5d7e6d61227

@xantufrog: I'm aware. This is why I suggested buying a PS1. Whatever the underlining issue is with his PS2 not reading PS1 games, purchasing a PS1 could be beneficial. This eliminates the issue altogether.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator

@TheDarkWolf86: or he could replace the laser or get a new ps2 to do the same. The ps1 was known to have laser failures - ditching a ps2 for a ps1 isn't any better a solution - then he'll have two consoles instead of one to accomplish the same thing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-5e5d7e6d61227

@xantufrog: Understandable. I suggested the PS1 due to the potential of needing to pay a lot to replace the laser in his current system rather than getting a PS1 and moving on. There isn’t anything bad about having another system, I personally have a PS1 and a PS2. Personally, I do it for the nostalgia purposes more than anything. In the end, it is the OPs decision more than ours.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 xantufrog  Moderator

@TheDarkWolf86: ah I see. Fair enough - and of course you're right, the ball is in their court to decide what they want