PS2 games on PS3, upscaling and whatnot?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

hackslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 hackslash
Member since 2003 • 2328 Posts

I have a few questions, and I'll try to lay them out as readable as possible, so bare with me.

First off, I have a 40" 720p LCD TV with my PS3 on an HDMI connection.

I know many PS2 games support 420p, God of War 2 for example.So that's not really an issue, Im fine with playing my PS2 games in their native resolution. So if I set the PS3 to not upscale my games, does the PS3 output the PS2 game at it's native 420p resolution, or instead output the 420p picture in a 720p signal without upscaling (is that even possible?) The reason i ask is becuase if the PS3 outputs the signal at 420p, my TV is gonna automatically upscale any 420p signal to 720p. So if the TV is gonna do this anyways, I'll just let the PS3 do it as I'm sure it will do a better job.

And what about those games that DON'T have a 420p option in the game's menu? The game will nativly run at 480i, in which I assume the PS3 forces it to upscale to at least 480p. Fortunately I only have a few games that don't support 480p.

Hopefully some of you get what I'm saying. Gonna test some of this out later, but right now I figured I'd post this up to get some insight.

Just another quick thought, I'm not really worried about 16:9 support, as I believe even more games have this that 480p support. But just for the sake of it, how does a PS3 handle games that only have 4:3. Does it stretch it out, or play in 4:3, or various options?

wooooode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 wooooode
Member since 2002 • 16666 Posts
The PS3 will upscale unless you select to turn on progressive scan in game.
CryoGoblin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 CryoGoblin
Member since 2008 • 343 Posts
the ps3 will upscale to the best possible format
SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14775 Posts
If you don't use the upscaler then the PS2 games will be displayed in 480i (I believe, since that's what they are normally). Otherwise it will be upscaled to the highest resolution you have checked off on your display settings.
shroom76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5 shroom76
Member since 2007 • 1764 Posts
trust me, upscaling is usually better looking. u can play around a little fi u want though
jimm895

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 jimm895
Member since 2007 • 7703 Posts
Upscaling and smoothing of PS2 games really help the games look so much better than they ever did on the PS2. In many games I was getting shot without being able to see who was shotting me in single player games, but with all these features turned on many times I can see the target before they see me (much easier to see them now).
guitarshredder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 guitarshredder
Member since 2004 • 27 Posts

Upscaling and smoothing of PS2 games really help the games look so much better than they ever did on the PS2. In many games I was getting shot without being able to see who was shotting me in single player games, but with all these features turned on many times I can see the target before they see me (much easier to see them now).jimm895

Yeah I agree, Upscaling makes PS2 games look more clearer/better, and with the smoothing option turned off, you'll see less jaggies...

fizzlegloop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#8 fizzlegloop
Member since 2007 • 692 Posts
I think that upscaling is a bunch of bull ... because I really see no difference. I believe that the only resolution a game should play is the resolution that it was made for which is commonly referred to the native resolution.
jimm895

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 jimm895
Member since 2007 • 7703 Posts

[QUOTE="jimm895"]Upscaling and smoothing of PS2 games really help the games look so much better than they ever did on the PS2. In many games I was getting shot without being able to see who was shotting me in single player games, but with all these features turned on many times I can see the target before they see me (much easier to see them now).guitarshredder

Yeah I agree, Upscaling makes PS2 games look more clearer/better, and with the smoothing option turned off, you'll see less jaggies...

In some games that is true about turning the smoothing option off does look better but in many the smoothing does make them look much better. The best thing is to test each setting on any game along with (when possible) the games own options settings as well. I find that sometimes it can be a balancing act between the console options settings and the game settings options.

timmy84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 timmy84
Member since 2003 • 1222 Posts

A good rule I've found is if it plays in 480p, then play it in 480p.

The reason is I've noticed the image is cleaner then an upscalled 480i image. Plus, 480p produces richer colors then 480i.

Now, I've only played two games with this (God of War 2 and Destroy All Humans! 2) and 720p upscalled didn't look as good.

Games at 480i look better upscalled, if they are newer games (like the past three years or so).

osirisomeomi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 osirisomeomi
Member since 2007 • 3100 Posts

A good rule I've found is if it plays in 480p, then play it in 480p.

The reason is I've noticed the image is cleaner then an upscalled 480i image. Plus, 480p produces richer colors then 480i.

Now, I've only played two games with this (God of War 2 and Destroy All Humans! 2) and 720p upscalled didn't look as good.

Games at 480i look better upscalled, if they are newer games (like the past three years or so).

timmy84

I really disagree with you here. GOW2 for example is smooth, jag-free and looks fantastic. When i put it in progressive mode, it's a mess of jaggies. The colours look the same.

Could just be a difference of opinion, but i highly recommend you try it upscaled first.

ianuilliam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ianuilliam
Member since 2006 • 4955 Posts
As for the aspect ratio, the game will be displayed in it's native 4:3, with black borders on the sides. Every ps1/ps2 game that I've tried plays like this on my ps3. If I play the game on my ps2 on my hdtv, the game will stretch to fit the screen and looks horrible. Playing it on the ps3, upscaled and with original ratio preserved looks much better.
SonicDivision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13 SonicDivision
Member since 2007 • 185 Posts

I play on a 40 inch 1080p Samsung, and PS2 games look great.

I really don't have any complaints about the upscaling at all, all looks wonderful.

My only issue is that sometimes stretching images to full screen on PS2 games stretches TOO far... aka, some of the sides of the image can be cut off.

Rafinator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Rafinator
Member since 2003 • 1063 Posts
i play ps2 and ps1 games in 1080i and they look a lot better than their native resolution. you can fiddle with the upscalling option if you go to the Xross Media Bar -> settings and there should be something about upscaling ps2/ps1 games somewhere there
Alfred91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Alfred91
Member since 2008 • 635 Posts

The PS3 will upscale unless you select to turn on progressive scan in game.wooooode

Explain what you mean. I have a 48" Sony Bravia and it still plays games like Cod4 or uncharted at 720p. It's connected with a top of the line HDMI made by monster. And it still plays it at 720p. WTH!!!!!!