PS2 games on HDTV? Can I make it look better?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

LivingReceiver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 LivingReceiver
Member since 2007 • 298 Posts
I just bought a PS3 and my Ps2 games look pretty crappy on HDTV. How do I make it so that it looks as good as it did on SDtv?

Im on my way to buy HDMI cables now so I really hope you guys can help me out with this. Thank you
b11051973

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 b11051973
Member since 2002 • 7621 Posts

You really can't make it look any better. I know some people claim that upscaling fixes it, but it doesn't. 480 horizontal lines just doesn't translate well to a 720 or 1080 screen. Plus, playing them on a huge screen like 50" or more just makes it worse.

LivingReceiver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 LivingReceiver
Member since 2007 • 298 Posts
are you serious? theres no way to make my ps2 games look better on HDTV?
bengilder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 bengilder
Member since 2004 • 505 Posts

are you serious? theres no way to make my ps2 games look better on HDTV?LivingReceiver

yep thats about the highest your get

well atleast your lucky, my ps2 games all come up with loads of small black squares and colour corruption on my screen, despite the bc list saying my games should work fine with no problems

onlyonejared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 onlyonejared
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts
hey man, i bought a ps3 and a 42in lcd 1080p tv. if you have ps2 games that have a widescreen option enable that, it will help immensly. the game that ive noticed the biggest difference on is Shadow of the Colossus. it's widescreen AND has progressive scan. i put it in my ps2 and then the ps3 to compare and it's amazing! if the game doesnt have a widescreen setting, change the aspect of your tv so the image wont be stretched across the screw up the image.
ratradler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ratradler
Member since 2007 • 129 Posts
The HDMI cable doesn't really help. No one seems to understand the concept of upscaling. It won't reallymake the game HD. The main thing to worry about is the size of your HDTV. If it is big, ps2 games look blurry. Just like any picture with low resolution that is expanded.
jimmarko21876

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 jimmarko21876
Member since 2004 • 429 Posts

The HDMI cable doesn't really help. No one seems to understand the concept of upscaling. It won't reallymake the game HD. The main thing to worry about is the size of your HDTV. If it is big, ps2 games look blurry. Just like any picture with low resolution that is expanded.ratradler

While that is true and all, how come the old games on my "other system" seem to upscale beautifully, with no black bars on the sides at all and very crsip and clear. I never quite could understand why though, the only differences are the VGA cable for the "other" and that it is software emulated (which so are the 80 GB, but it still looks like crap). Weird.

rptransam09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 rptransam09
Member since 2005 • 1250 Posts

imagine it like a balloon. you can see the type fine when it's normal, but stretching it doesn't magically make more ink appear. it's the same ink just stretched over a larger area. that's why it looks better normally.

that's just for most cases.

ghettokid15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ghettokid15
Member since 2003 • 947 Posts
wut about ps1 games like final fantasy 7 will it look good on monitor that is 1080naive though
munsoned

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 munsoned
Member since 2006 • 3064 Posts
I just bought a PS3 and my Ps2 games look pretty crappy on HDTV. How do I make it so that it looks as good as it did on SDtv?

Im on my way to buy HDMI cables now so I really hope you guys can help me out with this. Thank you
LivingReceiver
when u get back and u hook up ur hdmi cable . ur ps2 games should be in 720p/1080i/1080p depending on ur hdtv
InfinityMugen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 InfinityMugen
Member since 2007 • 3905 Posts
I've seen good images and bad ones. It depends on the HDTV I think.
tootergray34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12 tootergray34
Member since 2007 • 501 Posts

that was very well put by my fellow gator fan.

Ripcurl530

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#13 Ripcurl530
Member since 2007 • 649 Posts

Benglider, I had the same problem with my ps2 games at first! If your problem is anything like mine was, it's not yourps3, but your tv. Mess with the options, I think it was either the noise reduction setting, or the auto video enhance. I just turned it off, and that fixed the green dots and such on my screen. It may not be the same problem, but if it is, it's an easy fix.

nocoolnamejim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#14 nocoolnamejim
Member since 2003 • 15136 Posts

You really can't make it look any better. I know some people claim that upscaling fixes it, but it doesn't. 480 horizontal lines just doesn't translate well to a 720 or 1080 screen. Plus, playing them on a huge screen like 50" or more just makes it worse.

b11051973
This guy's on the right track. The biggest problem is likely the size of your TV. Newer TVs, for the most part, are pretty damn big. I have a 61" Samsung HDTV, and previous generation games look terrible on it because they just have too few lines that are stretched over too large of a canvas. Think of a painting. If you have the same amount of paint to use on a painting that is on a 2 foot canvas as you do on a 20 foot canvas, you're going to have to water the paint down a lot to have enough to cover a 20 foot canvas.
ratradler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ratradler
Member since 2007 • 129 Posts

[QUOTE="ratradler"]The HDMI cable doesn't really help. No one seems to understand the concept of upscaling. It won't reallymake the game HD. The main thing to worry about is the size of your HDTV. If it is big, ps2 games look blurry. Just like any picture with low resolution that is expanded.jimmarko21876

While that is true and all, how come the old games on my "other system" seem to upscale beautifully, with no black bars on the sides at all and very crsip and clear. I never quite could understand why though, the only differences are the VGA cable for the "other" and that it is software emulated (which so are the 80 GB, but it still looks like crap). Weird.

I know what you mean. Halo 2 looks a littlebetter on my 360 than it did on xbox. Although the image is stretched out wider. But yeah, dvds, and ps2 games don't look any better when upscaled on my 62 inch hdtv.