PS Vita questions before purchasing

This topic is locked from further discussion.

rwallacefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 rwallacefan
Member since 2005 • 4886 Posts

Well I'm finally going to purchase a PS Vita after a long wait and a good price drop, now I got a lot of questions and if someone can help me out, that'd be great :)

1. Do I need a memory card? If so how big? I'm thinking 4 GB, since I don't plan on using the store since I have my PS3 to help me with that and don't care much about the PSN games...unless it's something that does interest me

2. When I purchase the games (plan on buying the retail ones from Gamestop) do I need to install any of them? Like the PS3 where I need to install each game before playing to have Game Data? (BOLD for IMPORTANT QUESTION) Or do I simply just put the game in and I can play it immediately :)

3. Is the touch screen easy to use?

4. How's the battery life?

5. Is there a good selection of games coming out? I really want to buy a Vita, and the last thing I want to have is not enough games to have and play with.

6. What kind of "apps" can I use on the Vita?

7. Is there really any difference between the 3G and WiFi model? I want the WiFi model :P

Well I think that's it, thanks everyone :) The question I bolded once again is a VERY important question for me.

Gxgear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Gxgear
Member since 2003 • 10425 Posts

Well I'm finally going to purchase a PS Vita after a long wait and a good price drop, now I got a lot of questions and if someone can help me out, that'd be great :)

1. Do I need a memory card? If so how big? I'm thinking 4 GB, since I don't plan on using the store since I have my PS3 to help me with that and don't care much about the PSN games...unless it's something that does interest me

2. When I purchase the games (plan on buying the retail ones from Gamestop) do I need to install any of them? Like the PS3 where I need to install each game before playing to have Game Data? (BOLD for IMPORTANT QUESTION) Or do I simply just put the game in and I can play it immediately :)

5. Is there a good selection of games coming out? I really want to buy a Vita, and the last thing I want to have is not enough games to have and play with.

7. Is there really any difference between the 3G and WiFi model? I want the WiFi model :P

Well I think that's it, thanks everyone :) The question I bolded once again is a VERY important question for me.

rwallacefan

1. 32gb

2. No

3. Yes

4. Decent but it's no 3DS

5. Yes

6. Lots

7. 3G is a dead technology, don't get it

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#3 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts
1. If you don't plan on downloading any games, 4GB should be enough, but if you even decide to download a game or 2, they might not be able to fit depending on their size. 2. It installs it and leaves an icon on your Vita, but physical games hardly take up any memory. 3. It's fine. It isn't always implemented well in games though. 4. At least 4 hours for playing games 5. You'll have to look yourself to see what interests you, personally I'm not looking forward to a whole lot of future titles. There's plenty of games out now to look through though. 6. I have a few things like YouTube and Netflix, but I don't really use them. 7. Just the fact that you can use a 3G connection on the 3G model. Not much of a point when the data is very limited and it costs however much of a month to use, and I doubt the speeds are reliable enough to game online smoothly or anything.
Gxgear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Gxgear
Member since 2003 • 10425 Posts

7. Just the fact that you can use a 3G connection on the 3G model. Not much of a point when the data is very limited and it costs however much of a month to use, and I doubt the speeds are reliable enough to game online smoothly or anything.SoNin360

You can not access multiplayer with a 3G connection.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17882 Posts
1. yes you need a memory card. even with just playing retail games i would recommend at least a 16GB card to last a long time. some games can come with very large patches (KZ mercenary has a 1GB patch for example and i dont think that one installs to the game cart. someone correct me if i am wrong though). if you would like more multimedia or PSN stuff (quite a lot up there) then a 32GB one would be better. i would advise against an 8 or 4GB one unless you are really strapped for cash or it comes as part of some package deal. they are a false economy. 2. the game installs a little application from the cart the first time you put the game cart in. after that, assuming there are no patches, you are good to go. i think you can play a game while the patch downloads in the background (assuming the game doesn't disable wifi) but i havent tried it. the initial install only takes a few seconds. once a patch is downloaded it is also generally installed quickly. 3. yes. the touch screen is excellent. the rear touch surface also works quite well...though its under used currently. 4. surprisingly good. itll last for days in standby and will give 5-6 hours of gaming time on a full charge. this depends on your settings of course. it also uses a USB cable to charge so if you are travelling you can plug it into a laptop or whatever. sadly the connection to the vita is proprietary so you need a specific USB to vita cable (which comes in the box of course) but its still nice to have the option. 5. killzone mercenary is out now (in europe anyway...i think its out everywhere now though). tearaway is coming which also looks very interesting. borderlands 2 if you havent played it already would make for a great portable game...though i do recommend multiplayer for that one i am not sure when that is out though.. 2014 is looking pretty quiet at the moment which is a concern. still its got a solid library at the moment so its worth a purchase imho. 6. netflix (if you are in the states), youtube, there is a web browser. nowhere near an android or apple device in terms of apps but its got the basics covered. the vita is really a gaming machine though. 7. dont bother with 3G unless its cheaper than the wifi (very odd over here..some shops here sell the 3G version for less.).
rwallacefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 rwallacefan
Member since 2005 • 4886 Posts
A 1000 thanks to everyone on here :)!
abclegodd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 abclegodd
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
good info,A 1000 thanks to everyone on here ,thank you
freedom01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 109

#8 freedom01  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 3676 Posts
1. Yes, 32GB 2. Yes, game will install itself automatically 3. Yes 4. Not very long 5. A lot, but it all depends on your preference 6. Youtube, Netfix, ...forgot the rest 7. 3G is trash and worthless and its being discontinued
Steel_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Steel_God
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
On the memory card deal I'd recommend getting at least 8 gb and back games up on your computer for quick swapping. If you get ps+ you'll be flooded with free big games that you'll need that memory card for. PS+ has 3 great games on it right at this minute: Uncharted GA, Wipeout 2048, and Gravity rush, along with 4 others, all for free so long as you have a plus membership. Worth it.
Masenkoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#10 Masenkoe
Member since 2007 • 4897 Posts

If you're getting a Vita, go for the Walking Dead bundle. Yes its the 3G Vita but you don't have to use the 3G theres no difference. 

All the other areas seem to have been covered but I don't think you will need a 32GB memory card unless you want to DL a lot of stuff with PS+

Oh and battery life is actually good... I've been getting about 5 hours or so out of it on lowest brightness and inside you really can't see a difference. 

Avatar image for SuperJumpReview
SuperJumpReview

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 SuperJumpReview
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

rwallacefan
1. If you don't plan on downloading demos and videos, then 4 gb is plenty. Otherwise I would get 8 gb or higher. 2. All games install automatically, although some data have to be deleted and installed again in order to achieve trophies, i.e Muramasa Rebirth 3. Yes, for simple up and down swiping commands. Anything more then that is it starts to get a little gimmicky. 4. I play in short intervals but I assume if you turn off all network functions, maybe 3-4 hours? 5. yes, the best games are starting to show up now. i.e Walking Dead, Killzone Mercenary, Taraway 6. personally I only use the youtube ap. 7. No, but their both priced the same now I assume so why not just get the 3g version. The 3g also includes the wi fi 8. Good luck, and don't worry, you'll enjoy the vita. I was on the fence about it too but now that I have one, I'm loving it.
masterdrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 masterdrat
Member since 2006 • 1075 Posts

rwallacefan
The answer to question 5 is no, sry for the other people misleading you on that matter. You might find a few games but there's not plenty of them, but you might find 1 or 2 you really like. Many games were announced but we're still waiting for them... I fear that many of these projects have been cancelled due to the low popularity of the device. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_Vita_games
porkchopxp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 porkchopxp
Member since 2004 • 1181 Posts

On the memory card front think LONG TERM. There will be cross-buy/cross-save games galore between the Vita the PS3 and PS4 and the only way to get in on that is to get the digital copy of those games and for that you're gonna need the 32 gig memory card. Yes they're way overpriced but if you have the money get it so you don't have to make tough "delete," decisions.

p4s2p0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 p4s2p0
Member since 2010 • 4167 Posts
[QUOTE="rwallacefan"]

masterdrat
The answer to question 5 is no, sry for the other people misleading you on that matter. You might find a few games but there's not plenty of them, but you might find 1 or 2 you really like. Many games were announced but we're still waiting for them... I fear that many of these projects have been cancelled due to the low popularity of the device. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_Vita_games

It's more of an opinion than misleading. There are some people that don't like many vita games. Like your example "You might find a few games but there's not plenty of them, but you might find 1 or 2 you really like" There are some like myself who are swimming in vita games, I got 2 games in the last month alone.