Poll, Does Anyone Really Like Cliffhangers?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

uehc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 uehc
Member since 2006 • 840 Posts
Personally, I hate them to the HARDCORE! Why do writers have to do this? You don't have to give me all the answers in the conclusion, but at least give me an ending to that particular story. I hate stories that are only the first part to a story, and by that I mean taking a script and cutting it in half, and the first part being without a true ending. What's worse, in or industry, we would have to be kept in eye gouging suspense for one to threee years! That's torture. I guess cliffhangars are acceptable if people actually like them, but does anyone really like them?
MONTANNA632

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 MONTANNA632
Member since 2007 • 273 Posts

yay first vote

anyway they are great for ntresting sories,metal gear solid 4 is bound to have one.besides,its great just to work out what happned

ShawDowFX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 ShawDowFX
Member since 2003 • 4696 Posts
I dislike them, but, it gives me a reason to look towards the second part.
Avatar image for 217294534379433431645697658794

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 217294534379433431645697658794
Member since 2007 • 196 Posts

I like them done in a way that the story of a particular game is finished, but there are enough questions to look forward to a sequel.

Even then, I absolutely hate it when games arepurposely divided up into a trilogy before the first game is even released. I'm looking at you Assassin's Creed!

cjbieva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 cjbieva
Member since 2007 • 304 Posts
I hate it myself give me a fin.
Liquid-Prince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Liquid-Prince
Member since 2007 • 2277 Posts
I like them, I like the suspense, even if it means being in suspense for two years.
Liquid-Prince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Liquid-Prince
Member since 2007 • 2277 Posts

I like them done in a way that the story of a particular game is finished, but there are enough questions to look forward to a sequel.

Even then, I absolutely hate it when games arepurposely divided up into a trilogy before the first game is even released. I'm looking at you Assassin's Creed!

holdthelemon

What are you talking about. If something is planned as a trilogy before it's released is alot better then if it is turned into a trilogy based on success. When it's planned, the whole thing feels more fluid, and connected. When movies make sequels when there were none planned originally it makes the series feel disconnected.

LtColJaxson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 LtColJaxson
Member since 2005 • 3233 Posts
I dislike them, but it usually leads into a nice sequel.
rahul_batta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 rahul_batta
Member since 2004 • 1363 Posts

yay first vote

anyway they are great for ntresting sories,metal gear solid 4 is bound to have one.besides,its great just to work out what happned

MONTANNA632

Hate to burst ur bubble but I think this is the last Metal Gear Solid

Vyse_Legends

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Vyse_Legends
Member since 2007 • 9387 Posts
Played Assassins Creed?:P
CosmoKing7717

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 CosmoKing7717
Member since 2004 • 4602 Posts
love and hate depending if they are used in the right way...after all this HALO 2 (just a good example no fanboy stuff plz) ending stuff that got me to dislike them...but than some games just did it where u couldn't wait for the sequel like god of war 2
Avatar image for hookd_on_heroes
hookd_on_heroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 hookd_on_heroes
Member since 2006 • 123 Posts

I'M LOOKING AT YOU GOD OF WAR 2!

shroom76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13 shroom76
Member since 2007 • 1764 Posts

it really depends. when a game has an ending but its open ended i like that.

when a game completely stops rite at the good part of teh story (halo 2) thats just GAAAAYYYYYY

i also dont like games thta leave no openeings when tehy are very good games, like heavenly sword.

i think the perfect ending to a game was the end of all the metroid primes, each time you have to get 100% to get the cliff hanger which is only about 5 seconds long (but oooo there creepy)

Alfredozero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 Alfredozero
Member since 2007 • 286 Posts
Well for me it depends on how interesting the story is, For example in a great story like god of war 2 i liked the cliffhanger cause it made the experience more compelling, however in the case of a mediocre and shallow storyline like the one in HALO 2 i f**kin hate them cause i wanted to see that story ending as fast as it could :cry:.
daymo93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 daymo93
Member since 2007 • 244 Posts
I don't mind a cliffhanger but hate if they never make the sequal i will hate the game devlopers so much
Hububalub2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Hububalub2
Member since 2007 • 1922 Posts
Only if the cliffhanger is done right, and a sequel is made... I'm a-looking at you Elfen Lied...
pielover666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#17 pielover666
Member since 2005 • 531 Posts
Personally, I hate them to the HARDCORE! Why do writers have to do this? You don't have to give me all the answers in the conclusion, but at least give me an ending to that particular story. I hate stories that are only the first part to a story, and by that I mean taking a script and cutting it in half, and the first part being without a true ending. What's worse, in or industry, we would have to be kept in eye gouging suspense for one to threee years! That's torture. I guess cliffhangars are acceptable if people actually like them, but does anyone really like them?uehc
Well, with R&C, I expected one. Though I do like for my endings to be rather open ended, rather than having everything summed up.
C-Himura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#18 C-Himura
Member since 2004 • 2160 Posts

Wether they work for me or not, it is based on a simple aspect: conclusion. I am going to use Prince of Persia: Warrior Within as an example.

When you reach the end of the game, the Prince finds out Babylon has been laid to siege during his absence. This is where the game ends and it is the beginning of the Two Thrones. Now, this ending worked for me because the Prince had already gotten a resolution to the arc started in the Warrior Within episode. He had set out to reach a goal, and he did. Then, something else that was not planned or foreseen (Babylon on siege) happens, and it closes the story. For me, this was a satisfying cliffhanger because it leaves me looking for the next chapter, but at the same time, the arc that I just played had reached a satisfying conclusion.

baller72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 baller72
Member since 2007 • 1847 Posts

it depends on the cliffhanger... some are good and some are bad. The cliff hanger in GOW2, MGS2, Gears of War were good but ones like Halo2, and Vegas left me like what the **** I need some sort of closure. I think some dev justcut a game's story short so they can make the sequel and people will have to buy it.

Then again some games are great without cliffhangers. Example POP none of those games really left you hanging.

Oh yeahSC double agent also was a bad cliff hanger, especially since everyone will not be able to play it...how stupid and whorish of them.

PSdual_wielder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 PSdual_wielder
Member since 2003 • 10646 Posts
u mean the cliched, "pulling off a halo 2"? Yes, I really hate them. Even though god of war 2 was awesome, its still unsatisfying to see one. And that rainbow six vegas had one, but i don't care about that game anymore. And I haven't beaten assassin's creed yet.
Elviathan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Elviathan
Member since 2006 • 5052 Posts
Well if they have a cliffhanger then you know they're going to make a sequel so it makes the experience more compelling, even though I hate it too.
nocoolnamejim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#22 nocoolnamejim
Member since 2003 • 15136 Posts
I think they are a form of extortion and a way for companies to cash in on sequels, even when the sequels haven't been announced yet. Assassin's Creed is a fine example. That game doesn't cost $60. It costs $120 if you want to actually finish it. Bah. At least game publishers should be up front about it.
uehc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 uehc

bump

Swift_Boss_A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Swift_Boss_A
Member since 2007 • 14579 Posts
I chose option 3 on the pole. I don't mind cliffhangers but as long as the game is fantastic and fulfilling all the way through like God Of War 2.
hashimgillani1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#25 hashimgillani1
Member since 2004 • 1495 Posts
GOW2 had a cliffhanger
hashimgillani1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#26 hashimgillani1
Member since 2004 • 1495 Posts
so did MGS3 Snake Eater where Ocelot is talking at the end. AS well as MGS2 Sons of Liberty when Otocon says the Patriots are all dead.
-PS360FTW-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 -PS360FTW-
Member since 2007 • 628 Posts
I like them
uehc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 uehc

so did MGS3 Snake Eater where Ocelot is talking at the end. AS well as MGS2 Sons of Liberty when Otocon says the Patriots are all dead.hashimgillani1

Okay, since you seem to be a MGS fan, I'll use a Kojima-style anology. There are many levels of cliffhangars, for example, let's use halo2 and assassin's creed, the cliffhangers hereis like a cliff with a straight drop downwards, a ninety degree cliff. These are instanceswhen the script is cut in half, with no conclusion. Then there are the prince of persia 2 stylecliffhanger. This is like a cliff, but instead of having a sudden straight down drop, it's more of a slope. A slope of about fourty five degrees. These stories has a conclusion to the story at hand, and the cliffhanger is merelya look of the story of the next game. Another example a the tv sereies "Heroes". The finale wrapped up and had a satisfying conclusion,yet it made you exited and looking forward to season 2 witha cliffhanger that gave you a peek at the next season. Has for the MGS series, hardly cliffhangers, this cliff has a slope of aboutthirteen degrees.

Tlahui

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Tlahui
Member since 2005 • 1552 Posts
third option, but I guess it turns better for future games, just as long the storylineof the actual game is finished, like MGS games.
TheAbyssus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 TheAbyssus
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
The one at R&C was bad, it felt horrible unfinished.
moshakirby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 moshakirby
Member since 2006 • 1502 Posts
Despise cliffhangers.
You get to the end of the game and I just come away thinking "What a gay game..." and I'll only ever end up telling other people that the game is "alright" or "okay".

A game with a really intense ending, that leave you satisfied that you've saved the world (or whatever) is the game that leaves you with just one word; "awesome". And that is the game that lives on, I can't think of of the highest rated and respected games than end the story line with a cliffhanger.
Talibantot3602

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Talibantot3602
Member since 2006 • 376 Posts

yay first vote

MONTANNA632

But I thouigh MGS4 was the last of the franchise... Am I wrong?

the_dunadan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 the_dunadan
Member since 2003 • 144 Posts
The poll isn't that great.  there's two negatives and one positive.  
uehc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 uehc

The poll isn't that great. there's two negatives and one positive.the_dunadan

No, there's one positive, one negative, and one in between.

the4got10one

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 the4got10one
Member since 2007 • 781 Posts
As long as I'm not left wondering what happens for a couple years, i don't mind them and its always good to know that there is going to be a sequel.
blizzardmist88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 blizzardmist88
Member since 2005 • 210 Posts

Cliffhangers don't have to feel like Matrix Revolutions or Halo 2 if done right they can make you feel finished but at the same time makes you want to the play the next game.

Than again maybe our definition of cliffhangers are different I think cliffhanger are making you wonder what would happen to the world now that Arthas has become the Lich King, Who or what the are The Patriots, what is the true goal of Duran, what are the Locust and at the end of all those games I felt like I was playing a complete game and at the same time couldn't wait for the next game to come out.

zype2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#37 zype2
Member since 2004 • 200 Posts

I personally don't like them for the most part but not with every game. If I finish a game, I kinda like to know what happens. Yet, it depends on the game. I can't go on with examples of games due to spoilers. But some seem like everything was for nothing. Yet other games kinda set up a good tone for a sequal.

My favorit games are the ones with a solid story and an ending that makes you feel like you accomplish something. Games now days are like a mix of a movie and book with you being the character. With movies or books, if it is done right then it can be exciting. If it's done 'wrong' it felt like you went into a circle!! Argggg.......

Cruxis27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#38 Cruxis27
Member since 2006 • 2057 Posts
It depends on if it's done well.