Plot inconsistencies

This topic is locked from further discussion.

contracts420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 contracts420
Member since 2008 • 1956 Posts

I have noticed some plot inconsistencies in some of my favourite PS exclusive games lately. I want to know what inconsistencies you have found in PS exclusive games.

The ones I noticed are in Uncharted 2 Among Thieves.

[spoiler]

1. What was the point of the ice cave, there was no real point to it. It did not house the Cintamani Stone. There was nothing there... and why were those creatures protecting the place? makes no sense.

2. Where did Drake find that map where he uses the marker to find the entrance to Shambalha? you never see him pick it up during the game. Seems strange that he just happens to be running around with it when he needs it. [/spoiler]

MODERATOR EDIT: Added spoiler tags.

Weenski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 Weenski
Member since 2011 • 990 Posts
I have noticed some plot inconsistencies in some of my favourite PS exclusive games lately. I want to know what inconsistencies you have found in PS exclusive games.The ones I noticed are in Uncharted 2 Among Thieves.1. What was the point of the ice cave, there was no real point to it. It did not house the Cintamani Stone. There was nothing there... and why were those creatures protecting the place? makes no sense.contracts420
The ice cave is an amazing chapter to play and visually. Does it really bother you that much Wether or not it had a place in the story?
Jinroh_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Jinroh_basic
Member since 2002 • 6413 Posts

I have noticed some plot inconsistencies in some of my favourite PS exclusive games lately. I want to know what inconsistencies you have found in PS exclusive games.

1. What was the point of the ice cave, there was no real point to it. It did not house the Cintamani Stone. There was nothing there... and why were those creatures protecting the place? makes no sense.

2. Where did Drake find that map where he uses the marker to find the entrance to Shambalha? you never see him pick it up during the game. Seems strange that he just happens to be running around with it when he needs it.

contracts420

spoiler -

1. iirc Drake was guided to the ice cave to search for the remains of the Nazi expedition team sent to look for the Cintamani Stone. the creatures were actually Shambala natives in disguise to prevent outsiders from finding and entering their domain, so of course they would try to stop Drake.

2. he marked it on a tourist map, remember? and after it was taken from him he sorta just followed the trail of the bad guys.

these are all clearly told in the game... so... i don't get it. you didn't skip all the narrative CG, did you?

in any case, it shouldn't be surprising that games have plotholes - it's not even real, why should it be consistent?

blueboxdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 blueboxdoctor
Member since 2010 • 2549 Posts

I just plain dislike that level. I didn't play the entire first game, but I was put off by the mythical creatures in the 2nd game. It never really felt like it fit since the rest of the game up to that point was all involving people rather than mythical beings. I was ok with the super human people at the last level since it fit the whole hidden city thing. As for the snow cave level, well it was just kind of boring, though I'm not a fan of snow levels in general.

contracts420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 contracts420
Member since 2008 • 1956 Posts

[QUOTE="contracts420"]

2. Where did Drake find that map where he uses the marker to find the entrance to Shambalha? you never see him pick it up during the game. Seems strange that he just happens to be running around with it when he needs it.

Jinroh_basic

spoiler -

1. iirc Drake was guided to the ice cave to search for the remains of the Nazi expedition team sent to look for the Cintamani Stone. the creatures were actually Shambala natives in disguise to prevent outsiders from finding and entering their domain, so of course they would try to stop Drake.

2. he marked it on a tourist map, remember? and after it was taken from him he sorta just followed the trail of the bad guys.

these are all clearly told in the game... so... i don't get it. you didn't skip all the narrative CG, did you?

in any case, it shouldn't be surprising that games have plotholes - it's not even real, why should it be consistent?

I know all of that. But in the end... there was nothing in that Ice Cave. You get to the end and it's just a room with statues. All of the stuff Drake finds is stuff that Schaifers expedition brought with them. So what's the point of this massive elaborate cave if there is nothing in it.

And yes... Drake marked it on a tourist map, but why did he just so happen to have a map that included the entrance to Shambalha on it? It wasn't even a map of Nepal. Just doesn't make sense to me.

The_Ronin129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 The_Ronin129
Member since 2010 • 191 Posts
When I saw the thread title, heavy rain quickly popped in my head..
grand17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#7 grand17
Member since 2007 • 2079 Posts
i liked the ice caves...i figured he was just passing through on his way.
Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

When I saw the thread title, heavy rain quickly popped in my head..The_Ronin129

I was thinking more along the lines of the Assassin's Creed games.

Bass7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9 Bass7
Member since 2004 • 6614 Posts

I just plain dislike that level. I didn't play the entire first game, but I was put off by the mythical creatures in the 2nd game. It never really felt like it fit since the rest of the game up to that point was all involving people rather than mythical beings. I was ok with the super human people at the last level since it fit the whole hidden city thing. As for the snow cave level, well it was just kind of boring, though I'm not a fan of snow levels in general.

blueboxdoctor

[spoiler] You do realize that the "mythical creatures" and the "super human people" are the same right?
And I know you never played the entire first game, but that one had creatures as well. [/spoiler]

EDIT: Spoiler tags added.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
There are number of reasons why I think Uncharted 2 is overrated. Plot inconsistencies aren't one of them.
brickdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 156

#11 brickdoctor
Member since 2008 • 9746 Posts

I always wondered the same thing about the ice cave. There was no real point in going there.

MGS4 popped into my head right away by thinking about it, there's not a lot of plot wholes, just bad writing.

I always wondered why characters in the Mass Effect and Star Wars universes all spoke English. Hundreds of languages have been formed on Earth, just one planet, alone. When you have dozens of unique species isolated lightyears away from each other yet they all someone know English and accept it as a universal language even though humanity is relatively new to the galaxy in Mass Effect.

Also, in Mass Effect 2, how does Shepard know about thermal clips? In Mass Effect every single gun didn't need ammo, and instead would simply recharge. But after his near death incident in the very beggining, one of the first lines Shepard says after being unconcious for two years is that the gun doesn't have a thermal clip. The whole idea is ridiculous to begin with. The US military spends years testing a new weapon or technology before I gets used in combat. Thermal clips go from being nonexistant to a galaxy wide standard in two years. Not to mention it's a downgrade.

verbtex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12 verbtex  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 9196 Posts

Just a reminder to some people, spoiler tags should be used when there are spoilers.

blueboxdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 blueboxdoctor

[QUOTE="blueboxdoctor"]

Bass7

*Spoiler alert...?*

You do realize that the "mythical creatures" and the "super human people" are the same right?

And I know you never played the entire first game, but that one had creatures as well.

oh, yeah I never did get through it since it didn't do much for me. It's been a while since I played the game, so sorry for the confusion with saying the same characters twice.

I don't think a spoiler alert is really needed. If you read the title it says plot inconsistencies, which implies that if you've played a game then you'll be able to identify these inconsistencies and if you havn't played it then you really shouldn't be reading it. (ok, I may be a tad bitter towards this since I've had 2 threads before have people complain about this when the title clearly indicated you would have already of watched the episodes of the show I was discussing).

anime_gamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#14 anime_gamer007
Member since 2007 • 6142 Posts

I always wondered the same thing about the ice cave. There was no real point in going there.

MGS4 popped into my head right away by thinking about it, there's not a lot of plot wholes, just bad writing.

I always wondered why characters in the Mass Effect and Star Wars universes all spoke English. Hundreds of languages have been formed on Earth, just one planet, alone. When you have dozens of unique species isolated lightyears away from each other yet they all someone know English and accept it as a universal language even though humanity is relatively new to the galaxy in Mass Effect.

Also, in Mass Effect 2, how does Shepard know about thermal clips? In Mass Effect every single gun didn't need ammo, and instead would simply recharge. But after his near death incident in the very beggining, one of the first lines Shepard says after being unconcious for two years is that the gun doesn't have a thermal clip. The whole idea is ridiculous to begin with. The US military spends years testing a new weapon or technology before I gets used in combat. Thermal clips go from being nonexistant to a galaxy wide standard in two years. Not to mention it's a downgrade.

brickdoctor

The aliens in Mass Effect don't speak English, they're speaking in their native tongue, it's just translated via auto-translators that everyone wears. I know, they kinda wrote themselves an out on that one but would you rather them spend more time to come with goofy ass alien languages and subtitles? Also, the prologue of ME2 takes place 6 months after the end of ME1, thermal clips could have been become standardized during that time. And to add, the thermal clip isn't really a downgrade. The idea behind it is to instantly cool down the gun without having to wait for an actually cool down time. Although in-game it could it pretty much makes it look like it functions like a modern day gun when in the game fiction, there's a whole reason as to why thermal clips exist.

Bass7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#15 Bass7
Member since 2004 • 6614 Posts

[QUOTE="Bass7"]

[QUOTE="blueboxdoctor"]

blueboxdoctor

*Spoiler alert...?*

You do realize that the "mythical creatures" and the "super human people" are the same right?

And I know you never played the entire first game, but that one had creatures as well.

oh, yeah I never did get through it since it didn't do much for me. It's been a while since I played the game, so sorry for the confusion with saying the same characters twice.

I don't think a spoiler alert is really needed. If you read the title it says plot inconsistencies, which implies that if you've played a game then you'll be able to identify these inconsistencies and if you havn't played it then you really shouldn't be reading it. (ok, I may be a tad bitter towards this since I've had 2 threads before have people complain about this when the title clearly indicated you would have already of watched the episodes of the show I was discussing).

No worries, all understood. Spoiler alerts are needed, regardless of the title of the topic. It just says "Plot Inconsistencies", which is very vague. Even though you come in here knowing you're talking about plot, you're never really sure if what game their talking about or if they're even talking about a specific story.
blueboxdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 blueboxdoctor

[QUOTE="blueboxdoctor"]

[QUOTE="Bass7"]

*Spoiler alert...?*

Bass7

No worries, all understood. Spoiler alerts are needed, regardless of the title of the topic. It just says "Plot Inconsistencies", which is very vague. Even though you come in here knowing you're talking about plot, you're never really sure if what game their talking about or if they're even talking about a specific story.

True true, I'll definitely take that into consideration for future posts.